Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2013
North Carolina
Anyone ever tried one of these. They look very similar to the segelie zmax but IMO better and comes in options of gun metal or SS/ brass. It is a little more expensive. BUT I have only found two places that carry it. Before I took the plunge I thought I would see if anyone out there in the ECF community has one or has had one and their experience.

FACE MEAT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Costa Mesa, CA
VaporJoes.com just posted the Spire. It's got the 33.3 chip, which I'm not a fan of. Some photos:

Beyond_Vape_Spire__06226.1390959191.1280.1280.jpg

Spire_VV_MOD__83969.1390959198.1280.1280.jpg

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
Yeah, that's about everything I've found on it too...

The 33.3 chip doesn't bother me that much. I'm currently using a Vamo V3 that has a similar chip.

What I'm most interested in knowing is: what material is it made of? Is the main body stainless steel or nickel? How does it actually work? What's the interface for changing output voltage etc. since I only see the one button in all of the images? What's its actual length in 18350 and 18650 mode?

Tintreach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm going to speculate that this has the same controller as ZMAX just by looking at the screen and button location. It looks nice, but I suspect than it's nothing to write home about.

The only red flag I see if it was a US made mod, you would have thought that it would have landed in some big name reviewer's hands prior to release to build up some hype on it. All has been quiet on YouTube about this mod which makes me think it really may be nothing new.

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
Saw this on VJ as well. I'm pretty curious about it. 33.3 is definitely a negative for me. it's not that it bothers me, but I have tube mods with it already. If there are other advantages like better build quality, etc, then so be it. I guess the point is, I don't need another Zmax. Will wait until more info is out there, reviews are done, etc. I do really like the look of it though!

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
I got home and found the package so here's my first impression. It looks as good irl as it does in the pictures. The button doesn't rattle at all and has a satisfying click to it. It breathes quality but still… there's a bit of slack between the inner and outer tube but I guess that's inevitable for a telescopic mod. Atties are supposed to sit flush but when I screwed on my Aspire Nautilus there was about a 1mm gap that I corrected by screwing the top ring up to hug the atty. Maybe it can be adjusted, I'll check tomorrow. In 18650 mode it's about 2cm shorter than the Vamo V3. The Spire reaches up to well under the bottom of the Vamo's top ring, that's definitely a plus for me. I'm not quite used to navigating the menu using only one button yet, so more on that later. All in all at first impression: yes, definitely a lot better than the Vamo but whether it's worth the more than double price? Jury is still out. If you're short on cash, go for the Vamo. But if you are willing to pay for a more luxury look and feel then the Spire looks like it's a good pick.

Last edited:

speedemon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Chicagoland
I got home and found the package so here's my first impression. It looks as good irl as it does in the pictures. The button doesn't rattle at all and has a satisfying click to it. It breathes quality but still… there's a bit of slack between the inner and outer tube but I guess that's inevitable for a telescopic mod. Atties are supposed to sit flush but when I screwed on my Aspire Nautilus there was about a 1mm gap that I corrected by screwing the top ring up to hug the atty. Maybe it can be adjusted, I'll check tomorrow. In 18650 mode it's about 2cm shorter than the Vamo V3. The Spire reaches up to well under the bottom of the Vamo's top ring, that's definitely a plus for me. I'm not quite used to navigating the menu using only one button yet, so more on that later. All in all at first impression: yes, definitely a lot better than the Vamo but whether it's worth the more than double price? Jury is still out. If you're short on cash, go for the Vamo. But if you are willing to pay for a more luxury look and feel then the Spire looks like it's a good pick.

Good review keep us posted it does look nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
Here's a more extensive review...

The Spire came in a big black hard cardboard box with a magnetic lid, quite fancy. Inside, I found the Spire with its flat top ring, tapered top ring, and an Efest 2000mAh battery.

IMG_0145-640.jpg

With my Aspire Nautilus screwed on (as said, I eliminated the 1mm gap by screwing up the top ring), it looks like this:

IMG_0129-640.jpg
IMG_0131-640.jpg

Beside my Vamo V3, both in 18650 mode:

IMG_0135-640.jpg
IMG_0137-640.jpg

Compared to the Vamo, the Spire has a much higher quality look and feel to it. The metal is brushed sideways, so it turns in your hand quite easily, but it resists sliding out of your hand. The stylish engraving on the back and the copper accents (button and battery cap ring) give it an extra bling factor. While the Vamo's buttons move and rattle around like crazy, the Spire's single button is very well fittet. No rattle there, and a satisfying click when you press and release it.

(Maxed out my attachments - to be continued...)

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
(continued)

There's a tiny bit of wiggle between the outer and inner tubes, but like I said before, I think that's inevitable for a telescopic mod. The threads on the telescope are very well finished. I slid it all the way up and down and found no creaks, crunches or snags anywhere. The threads of the top ring and the 510- and eGo-connectors also look and feel very smooth and well crafted, as opposed to those of the Vamo:

IMG_0139-640.jpg
IMG_0143-640.jpg
IMG_0143-cropped-640.jpg

The menu is similar to what I've seen on YouTube for the Sigelei:

1. OUT ON/OFF
2. Volts/Power down
3. Volts/Power up
4. Batt voltage
5. OLED display
6. OLED ON/OFF
7. Power/Voltage
8. RMS/Mean

The mod remembers all your settings when you change the battery, but when you switch between Power and Voltage mode or between RMS and Mean mode, it will switch itself to the lowest setting (3,0V / 3,0W). The range of the device is 3,0 - 6,0 V or 3,0 - 15,0 W

One drawback is that there's no menu item to read out the atomizer's resistance... The only way to check the resistance of your atty is to set "OLED display" to "resistance" and then fire the mod.

I've yet to notice any actual difference between RMS and Mean - except that the distinctive 33.3 "rattlesnake" sound seems to be slightly less present in RMS mode.

All in all, compared to the Vamo V3, the Beyond Vape Spire is definitly a much higher quality mod. Even with its few rough spots, I think it's definitely worth the $100 / €100 that it generally sells for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread