Status
Not open for further replies.

MrsAngelD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2010
A, A
www.TheDallemagnes.com
journalnow.com/business/business_news/local/big-tobacco-makers-want-fda-to-ban-vapor-e-cigs/article_77b131f5-540d-5f02-927c-733bac751529.html

A Reynolds division recommended to the Food and Drug Administration in a 119-page submission that the agency ban the use of vapor electronic cigarettes.

nomore stinkies

Gee, Who did that?
ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2014
IL
The following is a quote from the article in post #1. Cameron is an executive from BT. Seems their new approach is that the "kids" will put ........ into the tank. Oh for cryin' out loud, kids and adults have smoked {OTHER STUFF} for years using any delivery device. Their new tactic is that closed tanks are safer because they cannot be tampered with. OH STOP! She has one point right-closed tanks suck. I received a coupon in the mail for the Vuse and it just happened to fall into the trash can...oops. Load a lot of nicotine into the pipe? What are YOU smoking Ms. Cameron? Desperation indeed. But I fear the politicians will start yet another fear mongering tantrum. The kids, The Kids, The Kids. Enough already. It is the $. Plain and simple. Health is NOT their issue.

Cameron said during an investor presentation last week that adult smokers are experimenting with self-contained e-cigs and open system vapor products.
“I think that what you’ve seen is as consumers have tried a lot of these e-cigarettes that aren’t satisfying, this has driven a lot of the growth of what we call tanks,” Cameron said.

“The growth of those is driven by the consumer’s desire to get satisfaction. If you’re not getting satisfaction out of the e-cigarette format because you’re not getting the nicotine that you want, then if you go to those tanks, you can figure out how much nicotine you want, right. You fill it yourself.

“Our position is really that these open tanks are really not appropriate. And the reason for that is because people can put whatever they want to in those tanks, and this is a lot of the public outcry. People are putting a lot of things other than nicotine into these pipes.”

For example, there are companies making e-mail pitches for selling e-liquids containing .........

“Second of all, if you really load a lot of nicotine into a pipe, and there is nothing to stop a kid from picking it up, this is not good,” Cameron said. “So we believe that closed systems are the way that regulators should evolve.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Nate760

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
San Marcos, CA, USA
the ANTZ must be recoiling in horror as they readjust their positions to endorse this with open arms and,
at the same time keep their distance from BT.

The ANTZ have been unwittingly protecting BT and the combustible cigarette market for many years now. Maybe this will be the slap in the face they so desperately need, but I'm not holding my breath (which, incidentally, I can do for twice as long as I could when I smoked).

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
journalnow.com/business/business_news/local/big-tobacco-makers-want-fda-to-ban-vapor-e-cigs/article_77b131f5-540d-5f02-927c-733bac751529.html

Saying that BT wants to Ban e-Cigarettes is Not Accurate.

What Reynolds wants the FDA to do is to Ban "Open System" e-Cigarettes. ie: Those that can be Refilled using Liquid e-Liquids.

“We believe FDA should not allow such products to be sold or marketed,” Reynolds spokesman David Howard said in discussing the company’s submission. “We believe open-system vapor products create unique public health risks.

These systems are highly subject to adulteration and tampering, they are manufactured largely overseas in facilities that would, as proposed, fall outside regulatory inspection and oversight, and many nicotine liquids are sold in non-child-resistant packaging in flavors that may be appealing to youth.”

Reynolds would like to see the Market reduced to Only Non-Refillable, Proprietary Connected, Chip Enabled Cartos that the Chip Disables when the Chip says that the Carto is empty. Very much like Chip Enabled Inkjet Cartridges.

Which BTW, Reynolds just happens to be Selling in the Vuse.

Lisa Belle

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2010
Sylvania, OH
www.lisabelle-artist.com
I guess I could put too much garlic salt on my steak too. The line being drawn on one consumer group is slanted and tainted with excuse me... "smokers are just not right" they are hell bent on suicide, they are drug takers they are not to be trusted. If it was a kitchen ingredient???? Just imagine, I could put too much milk in the scrabbled eggs. I could take too much cough medicine, any other product besides tobacco people can be trusted to be your own chef's but for some ;SADLKFJ[OERUTAW;4LKTJ;OIHJJ;VN,.NDF;OIYUWET.,N;DFXGUI[OYGFAES.KNJ;T9UXFBVHN reason, if it's smokers or vapers "we" are treated so special because after all with some research it is us, "WE" are a commodity our money is gold!:vapor:

Last edited:

Reverend Brimstone

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2013
New Orleans
“Our position is really that these open tanks are really not appropriate. And the reason for that is because people can put whatever they want to in those tanks, and this is a lot of the public outcry. People are putting a lot of things other than nicotine into these pipes.”

For example, there are companies making e-mail pitches for selling e-liquids containing .........

Right... And all those "tobacco only" products I see at the cigarette shops are truly used only for tobacco

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I see that one of the Big 3 arguably wants what OP said in title of this thread.

I'm not seeing that that 2/3rds of BT want this. Perhaps OP or another can share the evidence for that sort of claim.

Are you saying that one of the Big 3 wants e-Cigarettes Banned Completely?

And if so, which one of them?

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The following is a quote from the article in post #1. Cameron is an executive from BT. Seems their new approach is that the "kids" will put ........ into the tank. Oh for cryin' out loud, kids and adults have smoked {OTHER STUFF} for years using any delivery device. Their new tactic is that closed tanks are safer because they cannot be tampered with. OH STOP! She has one point right-closed tanks suck. I received a coupon in the mail for the Vuse and it just happened to fall into the trash can...oops. Load a lot of nicotine into the pipe? What are YOU smoking Ms. Cameron? Desperation indeed. But I fear the politicians will start yet another fear mongering tantrum. The kids, The Kids, The Kids. Enough already. It is the $. Plain and simple. Health is NOT their issue.

Cameron said during an investor presentation last week that adult smokers are experimenting with self-contained e-cigs and open system vapor products.
“I think that what you’ve seen is as consumers have tried a lot of these e-cigarettes that aren’t satisfying, this has driven a lot of the growth of what we call tanks,” Cameron said.

“The growth of those is driven by the consumer’s desire to get satisfaction. If you’re not getting satisfaction out of the e-cigarette format because you’re not getting the nicotine that you want, then if you go to those tanks, you can figure out how much nicotine you want, right. You fill it yourself.

“Second of all, if you really load a lot of nicotine into a pipe, and there is nothing to stop a kid from picking it up, this is not good,” Cameron said. “So we believe that closed systems are the way that regulators should evolve.”

You can put "a lot more than nicotine" in ANY "pipe". And anyway there's nothing stopping kids from having somebody buy them a traditional pipe to smoke the illegal stuff, my brother was coming home from his buddies house with little wooden pipes all the time when he was 14-15. Anybody who supports these arguments is a compulsive, sheltered person who doesn't understand how the real world works.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I see that one of the Big 3 arguably wants what OP said in title of this thread.

I'm not seeing that that 2/3rds of BT want this. Perhaps OP or another can share the evidence for that sort of claim.

Are you saying that one of the Big 3 wants e-Cigarettes Banned Completely?

And if so, which one of them?

Jman is right - according to the article OP linked, only Reynolds is calling for tank systems to be banned. The other two companies mentioned in the article (Altria and Lorillard) simply want tightened restrictions on them; they are not calling for a ban.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Jman is right - according to the article OP linked, only Reynolds is calling for tank systems to be banned. The other two companies mentioned in the article (Altria and Lorillard) simply want tightened restrictions on them; they are not calling for a ban.

Yeah... Reynolds is doing what it Can to ensure that No One can ever refill a Carto/Clearo/Tank again.

And That is why I didn't like the Title of this Thread. It Isn't that Reynolds wants to Ban e-Cigarettes. Far From it. They just want Us to Only Be Able to use Non-Refillable "Closed System" e-Cigarettes. Like what they sell.

And that would be Worse than if we All had to Go Back to a Blu. At least you could Re-Fill a Blu.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

5 hours ago....
Lorillard Calls for Ban on Vapor Rivals

:)

However the text of the article reads more like RJR is calling for the ban even though they're in the process of acquiring Lorilard.

"On the one hand, it certainly seems hypocritical of Reynolds-American to want to ban vaping systems because they sell flavored liquid nicotine, considering how strenuously it opposed the FDA banning flavored cigarettes. On the other hand, however, the tobacco giant says that, if the agency is going to allow the vapor companies access to the market, it needs to "create a level playing field on which all manufacturers of non-combustible deemed product categories are subject to equal treatment."

This made me laugh... but it is standard PR the biggest Steel companies (and their unions) have used the 'level playing field' argument for decades going on a century for their own gov't subsidies. And have always got them - this 'level playing field' is to compete against foreign countries who subsidize their steel companies. But who suffers are the American car companies (and unions) and other US industries that use steel - iow, a heck of a lot more companies and workers and consumers than are in the steel industry. Even with the subsidies, 'Big Steel' has been losing share to mini mills just because technology usually ends up winning over bloated corporate welfare recipients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread