Big battery box / All day sucker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently went through some vendor trouble and got stuck without a charger and no way to order a new one. It is a long story. I wasn't about to go back to analogs so I dug around and made a simple box and used 4 x 1.2 nicads to power it. This was great and the 510 atty put out a ton of vapor and taste. The problem was that I was constantly charging the box to get back up in the 5-6 volt range. I decided to make a trip to the local battery store and see what pack I could throw in there to power it all day. At first I thought a giant nicad or metal battery at 6 volts with as much MAH as I could find. Space was not a factor as my box is just a Radio Shack project box and I thought I could just go big and get it over with. I spot these 6 volt SLA batteries and I measure one and comes up a great fit and at 1.1 amps I was thinking I would be able to vape all day and life would be great. I charged it last night after using it for 5 hours, and today I am on my 8th hour. A good solid pulse and you get a fantastic pull off a 510 atty.

No it doesn't look like a cig or a cigar or a marital aid but it lasts all day and weighs about the same as a can of pop. :laugh:

vapebox.jpg

6voltPOWER.jpg

I am getting 6volts. This is a Sealed Lead Acid battery. Same thing that is used in alarm systems and automatic feeders and such. I know of them from using them on my starter on my model planes. I have shorted out a 12volt model and burned my flight box to the ground and the battery never popped or leaked. I have also dropped a 12 volt and never had it leak. They don't suffer from memory but they will lose charge while sitting. At batteries plus they are 19 bucks. The charger is 22 bucks. I installed an inline charger and don't have to open the case anymore.

This is only my second day using it so I don't have much real world data at the moment. But for 40 bucks it is worth a try.

I almost went lipoly as I have tons of it laying around from flying park flyers and helicopters. But I do not want a lipoly swelling up and going off in my face. I do have a fuse in line with this battery just to be safe.

The model number on this battery is a PS-610

They can go nutty on you. The smoke is very toxic and the fire is crazy to put out. Even the small one cells can lead to big time fires and lung damage. But I almost made this one run off of one out of desperation. You would have to make the battery real easy to get to so you could pull it out if it went out of control. But if you had it in any kind of hole it could swell up and become trapped. So I went low-tech and it seems to be paying off. Added a super bright LED in a bad place. Now when I take a hit I get blasted with a blue LED. Added some paint to it for now to calm it down. Later maybe I will put a lens cap from an old marshall amp on it.

Thanks for looking. And the Misfits do indeed rule.

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
Pretty cool eliminates the need for a regulator since it is at 6 volts. The 1.1 Ah is a amp hour rating translated into milliamp's it would be 1100 mah. But thats 1100 mah at 6 volts not 3.7 there is a difference. The PS610 battery has a max discharge rate of 6 amp. So it can put out quite a bit more then 1.1 amps. Might have to go with High resistance atomizers at 6 volts. If you run a 2.2 ohm atomizer at 6 volts you should be getting 2.727 amps consumed by the atomizer . Thats too hot for me in my experience. But each to their own. Anyways Nice mod you got there , nice to see something different and innovative.

Thank you! I am ordering some hv attys tomorrow so as not to pop another one. If you let it dry out it will pop in a hurry. Plus I am pulsing the switch rather than just laying into it.

My next mod will most likely be the lith ion type. I have a charger that can handle anything and would like to make something that doesn't look like a bomb detonator.

If it wasn't for this site I would have NO IDEA what is going on with the attys and such. Thank you all!!

The brick ROCKS!!! WOWWEE!

I plan on using the box at gigs but anywhere but in the car and in dark bars and home seems a little iffy. I have been rethinking the red button. But then again I sure do love blinky lights and switches and I as I get older people raising their eyebrows at me just makes me laugh.

Thanks everyone for being the best!!!!!!

Gummy Bear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
orlando fl
agummybear.deviantart.com
You know that if you vape that thing on stage there will be tons of people talking about that the next day.
Did you see that thing? yea, What the hell was that anyway.

I tell people that my Brick is a "buried underground cable locator". I told one guy that at Home Depot one day and I kid you not he said "OH, Yea", as if to say "well hell I knew that". or sometimes is talk into it and say "Hold on I'll call you right back" then take a big hit. Then tell them that it has been smoking like that ever since I dropped it the other day.

LOL!

I am keeping it on my amp next show. I used to keep my 510 on my amp and between songs if there is a chance I would give it a puff with my back to the people. And I puff like a madman on the 510 at venues. I have never been kicked out but I have been asked to stop smoking until they were clued in to what the "cool kids" are doing now.

But the big box will get more than enough looks when I break it out on the 26th. I bet people will think I am using something to get my stone on.

Your brick is something else. It has that OEM look. It looks sinister and innocuous at the same time.

I had to make a smaller version of the project box unit last night.

Using an all metal project box I got when I worked for Westinghouse building odd military gadgets. Salvaged a 1500mah Nicad pack at 4.8v from a crashed model airplane. The battery pack was used to run the servos. Epoxied in a 510 mount from an old Janty battery. Wired in the LED and the switch a here it is. I am putting a safety switch in today so I can have it in my vest pocket or whatnot and not have it go off on it's own. Draws like a pencil and hovers around he 5.5- 5.0 volt range very nice. Ordered some HV 510 attys from Ikenvape last night at 3.5 ohm.

littlebox.jpg

I am planning on looking into the tank mods. I did some research last night into that.

That is a big mother beast! Dig it!

My new box is rocking my socks off. I have been using it now for 5 hours and it just now dropped to 5.3v.

I started modding when Totally Wicked's site messed up and trapped 180.00 bucks of my money. This happened last friday and I still can't get my card cleared. So one day my card will become clear and I will have some extra money to buy FROM SOMEONE ELSE! 2 years ago vendors were very cool and seemed to ship right away. Now I guess they figure they have enough money to just do whatever they want to their customers. Yeah...As history shows, unless you are an oil company there is always someone that will come along and push those kind of people out of the biz and give the people what they want.

My wife uses a 510 and that is all she wants. And as her little batteries die I get a new 510 mount to slap into something big and fun.

If I was to order a PV from a vendor I would be going backwards. And I can make something faster than they can ever even process my order. I made my smaller mod last night from scavanged parts in about 2 hours. I ordered 2 attys from Ikenvape last night and haven't got a tracking number from them yet. HA!

I just saw a side by side. It made me twitch a little with excitement. I would love to make something that looked dangerous like that. I have a whole pile of old afterburner parts and other doo-dads I picked up when I worked in machine shops. But some are titanium alloys and inconel that would take me forever to pop a hole in with just a hss steel bit. I can buy cobalt and do it I guess. Dang now I just have to make another. :laugh: And I have old gun parts! New toys are best when built to order.

I was looking around for some 6volt regulators that I had squirreled away but haven't found them yet.

So many battery types. So many cases. So many attys. It's enough to drive a man to maddness. And being crazy feels pretty darned good.:banana::banana::party::banana::banana:

So I am making corned beef and cabbage wearing a kilt and listening to Flogging Molly at an almost obscene decibel level while vaping. Happy St. Paddy's day!

Edit: The dancing nanners are in PERFECT time with the music.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread