Big changes to the battery ratings tables and how I rate certain batteries are coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Battery wrapping companies are switching from rewrapping “OEM” cells from Samsung, Sony, etc., to cells manufactured in China because of the more consistent supply available from the China factories. They don’t have to scramble everywhere looking for excess inventory being sold here and there. There can be a monetary incentive to do this too.

That is a real concern for us! We are often using these cells without any idea whether they have passed the most basic safety testing or even what battery chemistry they use. While I don’t think they use the same chemistry as LiPo’s, I want to be sure.

These China manufactured cells also have a lot more variation in their performance from cell to cell than those from Samsung, Sony, etc.

I am tired of our community being guinea pigs for inconsistent cells with unknown safety. All cells not in original OEM wraps will now need datasheets and all China manufactured (or unknown) cells will need a complete datasheet, SDS (safety data sheet), and a UN38.3 safety test report sent to me as part of my testing. This is not an unreasonable request. The SDS and the very basic UN38.3 safety testing are required to ship the cells out of China.

I am also tired of these companies using my testing to set ratings. Submitting a datasheet before my testing starts helps a bit to ensure that they won’t just toss a number onto the wraps for now, wait for my test results, and then create new wraps with my rating on them. They will have to determine the rating in advance on their own.

A missing datasheet for a rewrapped OEM cell means a lowering of the current rating to a point that will result in a 10°C drop in cell temperature when discharged continuously at its original rating and a 10% reduction of the capacity rating. This done because I can’t guarantee that I have identified what cell they are rewrapping and we don’t know what grade cells they are using or might switch to in the future.

A missing datasheet or safety test document for a China manufactured cell, or unidentified OEM cell, results in a Do Not buy recommendation. This is done because without the documentation we don’t know how risky it is to use them. The cell will also be tagged in the table as missing documentation.

If any company submits falsified documents all cells of theirs will be permanently tagged as Do Not buy.

If any battery wrapping company changes a cell without an obvious wrap change then the cell is given a Do Not buy recommendation and is not retested. I am not wasting any more time on this kind of stuff.

Eventually submitting the datasheet and/or safety documentation means the full ratings are restored. I might retest the cell before doing this though and the company will just have to wait for that to happen.

This thing has been a monster to research and implement and it is all a work in progress. Anything is subject to change at any time but I hope not as it will already be disruptive enough as is.

I suspect that almost all of the China cells and many rewraps too will end up being derated or tagged Do Not Buy, at least for a while. But this only reflects what we’re dealing with now. We are using cells without any knowledge of whether they have passed even the most basic safety tests.

I want to sincerely thank Assi Rutzki from Enerdan and Jonathan Tang from NPE (two distributors) who have been a huge help in sorting out the dizzying array of international lithium-ion safety regulations/standards and documentation requirements. Without their help I would still be floundering in a sea of incredibly confusing paperwork!

I’ll post more detailed information about all this soon and will do a video too when the new tables are posted.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    We all owe you a great deal of respect and gratitude Mooch. Your hard work and determination does not go unnoticed. You have a positive effect on countless lives, and we all appreciate what you do. Thank you for dedicating your time and effort into elevating the safety standards of the vaping industry. I know I would not enjoy vaping as much as I do without you guidance.

ScottP

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    To me, the truly scary thing is that someday Mooch is going to retire from battery testing and then what will we do? I think he needs to take on an apprentice or three just to make sure we are left in good hands.

Yeah, what he does is THAT important and we all should be appreciative.

Robin Becker

ECF Veteran
    Feb 3, 2018
    Berlin
    Another reason to avoid rewraps. Thanks for your efforts Mooch.
    Not all and not always, some of them have good reputation. In some countries (at least in Europe) you are not allowed anymore to sell batteries to consumers without having some details on them like recycling bean, polarity and capacity...

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hundertwasser
    Not all and not always
    Almost all, and almost always.
    Time and time again Mooch tests rewraps that one could consider acceptable, then they bait and switch out to an inferior cell without warning. If they are the only cell available to you in your locale, then you have no choice and should monitor Mooch's test activity closely. If you have access to genuine Sony, Samsung etc then I see zero reason to buy rewraps. Obviously if you want cells other than 18650 then we are all in the same boat.

If you read Mooch's OP what he is saying is that these rewrappers are switching from rewrapping “OEM” cells from Samsung, Sony, etc., to cells manufactured in China. As he states this is going to make the situation even more precarious for users of rewrapped batteries.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread