Not open for further replies.

jamie

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2008
USA

Fast acting nicotine pouch, mouth spray and lozenge – the NEWS Study 1 March 2008

See the final report http://www.healthnz.co.nz/NicoNovumSRNT2008Poster.pdf presented at the 14th SRNT meeting, Portland, Oregon, 2008.

The pouch and mouth spray were clinically effective and may give faster and greater relief of cravings than nicotine gum.

In 2007, nearly 80 smokers completed a phase three trial of three fast acting nicotine products in the NEWS study (Niconovum Evaluation of Withdrawal relief study) at Clinical Trials Research Unit, School of Population Health, University of Auckland. Dr Hayden McRobbie was the principal investigator, and Dr Laugesen of Health New Zealand, a co-investigator. This was sponsored by Heart Foundation and Niconovum AB, Sweden.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
What a surprise, huh? A pouch with nicotine that is absorbed through the mouth can reduce cravings. But notice that the pouch has this Big Pharma name. NicoNovum or something, the same as the company that funded this study. Bet it has an equally big price. But exactly how is it better than Swedish snus that cost about the same as a pack of cigarettes? Snus have been used for more than a hundred years, with no increase in tobacco-related cancers.

Let's put it together: Big Tobacco is virtually betting its future is snus. We now have Camel, Marlboro and Lucky Strike pouches of snus (this is NOT chewing tobacco). We have new snus products, in fact, from every American tobacco company. And now we see that Big Pharmaceutical is betting part of its future NRT is a snus product, filled, of course, with medical-grade nicotine.

Wonder how they'll view e-smoking when they spot it through the forest of snus they're cultivating.

Full disclosure notice: I use snus daily, almost non-stop, in addition to e-smoking. Snus is my major source of nicotine, not e-smoking. Snus can be extremely potent and I've not found that with e-smoking 24mg liquid with massive clouds of vapor. What I love about e-smoking is how it duplicates the smoking motions I developed in 50 years of cigarette smoking. Snus for the addiction; e-cig for the habit. Better together.

jasondavis48108

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2008
Ann Arbor Michigan
I couldn't agree more TB. I have gone blurry eyed researching snus and stonewall and I really don't see how big pharma is going to improve upon these products and if they taste as aweful as the gum and lozenges that big pharma has tried to feed us forget about it. Now if they can give us a product that contains no tsnas (or whatever the h*ll thier called) tastes as good or better than the java stonewalls I just got and cost about the same then hey I welcome another choice, but we have a better chance of the FDA classifying water as a class A carcinogen than that ever happening. That would actualy be kinda funny, I can just picture some poor kid being carded for a class of water at a resurant and public schools having to remove all thier water fountains.

Elwin

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Missouri, USA
So, for the one who just smoked for 15 years and never gave a second thought to alternative tobacco products, what exactly is the difference between chew (Skoal, Cope, etc) and snus?

There's a wealth of information out on the web on swedish snus. You can start right here ECF in the "Smokeless Tobacco" subforum. Especially in this thread:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/smokeless-tobacco/559-snuss-dry-pouches.html

But for a quick run-down of differences between American "snuff" or "Dip" and Swedish snus, there are some great FAQ's at SnusCentral.org

REDUCED HARM TOBACCO: Swedish Snus versus American Snus

and

SAFETY: Swedish Snus versus American Snus

And then there's the SnusOn Forums:

SnusOn | Snus Forum

That ought to get you started...

:thumb:

Last edited:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Excellent links. The big differences: No spitting with snus; no tooth discoloration with white portion use; extremely low TSNA numbers as opposed to chew tobacco; discreet in use; long history of safe use to examine that doesn't include face-disfiguring mouth cancers among users.

Snus and chew are comparable in only one way: They both start with tobacco. Other than that, snus wins on all measures of importance. Cleaner, safer, more socially acceptable.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
This is worth another look considering all that has been going on, with the FDA frowning on e-cigs, and other forms of alternatives coming under the microscope. It seems Big Pharma is experimenting with products called NicoNovum -- a pouch, lozenge and mouth spray. The pouch is like a joke: It's a snus portion of tobacco with 4mg of nicotine. The joke is that Swedish snus now runs as high as 17mg per portion, and even mini snus come at 6mg per portion.

The lozenge is like a Stonewall dissolvable piece; same nic level but obviously it will cost far more when marketed.

So what we have in this research paper is proof that dissolvables like Stonewall are the same as a Big Pharma lozenge -- but at greatly reduced price to the user. A mini snus flavored in mint is a great NRT product, at fractions of the cost of anything Big Pharma will market. These things WORK, and we don't have to shell out big bucks to Big Pharma. Research has now proven what I learned some time ago.

Which leaves us mouth spray. That's a great idea. Get a craving? Spritz the spray! I tried putting e-liquid in nasal spray, and it hurt like crazy. I cooked e-liquid into hard candy -- didn't work well. Maybe if I put some in mouth spray ...

This is really interesting reading and proof that no e-smoker should put all his/her eggs in the e-smoking basket.

http://www.healthnz.co.nz/NicoNovumSRNT2008Poster.pdf

Vaporista

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2009
Cape Town, South Africa
I tried putting e-liquid in nasal spray, and it hurt like crazy. I cooked e-liquid into hard candy -- didn't work well.
:D I can't decide if you are more desperate or I am.
I'm sure the extraction method one uses has a lot to do with sucess or lack of.
/wanders off to look for some fresh Zimbabwean tobacco leaves.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread