Big Tobacco proposes open container tank ban for e-liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Just to further illustrate that Big Tobacco is not our friend in the FDA Regulations, they have proposed a ban on e-liquids being used in open system aerosol containers. Ie: tanks, clearomizers and cartomizers. I would assume this would also apply to RBA type devices, too. They propose e-liquid be sold only in closed non-refillable cartridges like Blu e-cigarettes use.

Last edited:

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
I can just see them all sitting around their mahogany boardroom table brainstorming:

"OK, how can we get e cigarettes all banned except OUR e cigarettes?"

"I know, let's use scary words like "China" and "open systems susceptible to tampering" then we'll pretend that e juice makers are going to purposefully put harmful stuff in their ejuice, never minding they'd get sued out of business if they did."

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
I can just see them all sitting around their mahogany boardroom table brainstorming:

"OK, how can we get e cigarettes all banned except OUR e cigarettes?"

"I know, let's use scary words like "China" and "open systems susceptible to tampering" then we'll pretend that e juice makers are going to purposefully put harmful stuff in their ejuice, never minding they'd get sued out of business if they did."

Why wouldn't they BT has been doing it forever

Monotremata

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Fontana, CA
monotremata.bandcamp.com
So now it can be tampered with?? Yeah maybe if someone walks up and snatches it out of my hand while Im vapeing or uses the force to pull the damn thing out of my pocket.. Screw BT, I hope if any of this actually happens we all just quit and stick it to em once and for all. Its time they all went down anyways.

The Cloud Minder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
So now it can be tampered with?? Yeah maybe if someone walks up and snatches it out of my hand while Im vapeing or uses the force to pull the damn thing out of my pocket.. Screw BT, I hope if any of this actually happens we all just quit and stick it to em once and for all. Its time they all went down anyways.

I don't blame BT for anything to do with my previous tobacco use. I knew from when I was little that it was addictive and not a good idea to breathe in smoke, I chose to do it anyway. What I can hate them for are attempts to interfere with PVs. AS if you couldn't contaminate a cigarette.

dmetzcher

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
California, USA
[Big Tobacco proposes] e-liquid be sold only in closed non-refillable cartridges like Blu e-cigarettes use.

I just threw up in my mouth. Blu is a horrible system, even if it did help me quit smoking. So many dud cartridges. So many failed batteries. So much frustration. In the end, it was as expensive as smoking.

This doesn't surprise me at all, though. If Big Tobacco can drown us in enough unnecessary, anti-competitive, self-serving legislation, they can drive the little guys out of business and move in to fill the vacuum. It's nothing more than a blatant attempt to create a monopoly, and I have no faith that our government will be opposed to it on those grounds. Antitrust laws have essentially been gutted, because the government doesn't even try to make it look like they are enforcing them. Aside from that, this sort of legislation does not "help" the consumer. It doesn't matter how we get our e-juice, whether in a cartridge or in small plastic bottles. It's all the same, unless your business model is to sell disposable cartridges.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I believe several of us have been predicting this "shot" for the last two years.

We basically have only two options left, IMO:

1. Vote "smart" in November and hope that the leadership of the Senate changes hands, which will lead to the best chance of derailing the Deeming Regulations.

2. Be prepared financially to contribute as much as possible to a class action lawsuit brought by CASAA or SAFTA or both.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Well, there we have it. The future as BT see it.

Get all products but their own banned and then hike the prices to as high as possible so it no longer matters to them whether they sell tobacco cigarettes or e-cigarettes.

There IS a HUGE spanner in the works though... Oh Yes!

There are plenty of non-tobaccco (e-cig) companies in existence who can easily sell a sealed (non-open) system and take them on price-wise and quality-wise.
So, unless they totally win the war on advertising, they won't get to their goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread