Billet Box rev-3.a Battery Safety Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all!
Recently got ahold of two authentic Billet Box's-- rev-3.a and I'm currently using a Kangaroo adaptor for Kanger OCC coils from @ohman, and found that I actually enjoy using the 1.5 ohm coils. I need new batteries for the devices, and wanted to know which 16340 batteries would be most beneficial to use with 1.5 ohm coils, at 5V. I also wanted to know which battery would be safest to use if I wanted to go ahead and rock the .5 ohm coils. I've got four AW ICR 123 16340 (protected) now that were included in the trade, and just wanted to be safe and get the most out of what I'm using. @Mooch, if you're able to shed some light I would be so grateful. I searched around for any testing that you may have done on 16340's but no avail. Thank you all!

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey all!
    Recently got ahold of two authentic Billet Box's-- rev-3.a and I'm currently using a Kangaroo adaptor for Kanger OCC coils from @ohman, and found that I actually enjoy using the 1.5 ohm coils. I need new batteries for the devices, and wanted to know which 16340 batteries would be most beneficial to use with 1.5 ohm coils, at 5V. I also wanted to know which battery would be safest to use if I wanted to go ahead and rock the .5 ohm coils. I've got four AW ICR 123 16340 (protected) now that were included in the trade, and just wanted to be safe and get the most out of what I'm using. @Mooch, if you're able to shed some light I would be so grateful. I searched around for any testing that you may have done on 16340's but no avail. Thank you all!

Sorry, I haven't tested any 16340's's and don't have any recommendations. I just don't know anything about them.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    You won't have much choice in 16340 batteries. There's just not many devices which use this size of battery so consumer demand doesn't really exist. They can be hard to find, but the red AW IMR 16340 would by my top recommendation.

IMR16340%20(PropertyOfOveready-DoNotCopy).jpg

These will be a safer chemistry than ICR 16340 or RCR123 type batteries, and will be high drain batteries best suited for an e-cigarette device.

Last edited:

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey all!
    Ever since I bought my 1st, and only, BB I have been searching for the best performing and safest 16340s. I, too, received AWs with my purchase (700mAh version) and started looking for different batts with higher CDRs... to no avail. The info I have found on the amp ratings of the AWs , the 550 mAh version, shows a CDR of 8A. (found here for $8.00 apiece: AW IMR 16340 Rechargeable Battery - Batteries - Battery... - OVEREADY Flashlights/Torches - Control The Dark™) Efest has a couple, I know I know its efest, that are around 7A CDR. Illumn.com has 7 left in inventory at 3.20 a piece 16340 Efest IMR16340 V1 550 High Discharge Flat Top - Batteries, Chargers, and PowerPax Carriers. Not too many others that fit a vaper's need though. Kind dissapointing really. Makes me want to sell my current version and try to find the Rev 4 that will take an 18650.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Thats a cool little mod. Is it unregulated?
    Yeah, its a cool little mech mod.

This is the mod which I experienced a battery explosion in. The protruding fire button got compressed in the pocket of a pair of pants hanging in my work locker. This caused a rapid over-discharge of the battery. Not really a pocket-safe mod unless you remove the battery or atomizer.

Last edited:

LilWhiteClouder

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 1, 2015
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, its a little mech mod.

This is the mod which I experienced a battery explosion in. The protruding fire button got compressed in the pocket of a pair of pants hanging in my work locker. This caused a rapid over-discharge of the battery. Not really a pocket-safe mod unless you remove the battery or atomizer.

Yikes, I remember you talking about a battery venting a while back. Did it explode in your pocket!?

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Yikes, I remember you talking about a battery venting a while back. Did it explode in your pocket!?
    Yes, but I wasn't wearing the pants at the time of the explosion. They were hanging in my work locker. I worked in surgery so I was in my scrub uniform.

The protruding fire button got compressed against something in the pocket. This caused a rapid over-discharge of the battery and it went into thermal runaway. Both ends of the battery exploded from the cell, and the cell casing melted. It caused the pants pocket to burn.

full
    Trustfire 14500 ICR battery

The BB used a "hot spring" which collapsed, but the battery still went thermal. The fire switch is designed to vent gas, which it did, but again the battery still went thermal. Probably because it was a Trustfire ICR (not safe chemistry), but it was the battery recommended by AltSmoke at the time. (Protected ICR batteries offer little protection against thermal runaway.)

Last edited:

Spirometry

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 13, 2014
    New Orleans
    1.5 ohm coils, at 5V you would be over the amp limit of your protected cells. Billet Box has 3 amp limit so the max you will get is 4.5v, still over the amp limit of those protected cells.

Like others have suggested, go with the AW IMRs. RTD Vapor is a trusted AW Authorized dealer.
    *NEW* AW IMR 16340 550mAh 8A

I don't have a Billet Box but my research suggests that the Billet box has a 3 amp limit and a 4volt minimum voltage. So 1.33Ω would be the lowest you could go. I don't think you will be able to rock the 0.5Ω coils.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread