Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
Curious if a pink grinding stone would be sufficient for grinding down the top ring on a VTR? Also would it best to run the dremel fast say 5 or slower say 2? I don't want to cut the entire ring off, but rather shave the inner diameter to accept a kayfun topper. Never used a dremel to work with metal, but here is an example of a design I cut for my Xbox mod. This was plastic polymer and plexiglass. Obviously completely different from working with steel. If I am correct in my research, it is actually plated copper?

a7y8avuz.jpg

Last edited:
I just did this w/ my VTR. I used a roto zip (because I already own it and don't have a dremmel tool) w/ dremmel tool bits. The roto zip has more RPM than the dremmmel. I used a small cut off wheel to chop the ring. I had bought a cheap $5 buck dremmel bit box at Lowes that had an assortment of everything in it. The light green grinding stone was the same diameter as the inner ring lip, so I slowly went back and forth w/ it. This created a lot of heat, so I would stop every 10-15 sec, let it cool a few sec then start again. Turned out great! I sport my Russian 91% tank on my VTR. Best thing I could have ever done to this thing.

DoubleEwe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Hiding up a tree
When I hand modified the ring on my VTR I did notice that there was a layer of copper, it was not particularly thick, but was there all the same.

There is not a lot of ring left once you manage to get rid of enough to fit a 22mm diameter atty, so I would advise that you go slow once you have removed the first mm or so. The bit that takes the most work is the section around the screws on the top.

I would not use my VTR at all if I had not adapted the ring.
kvtr.jpg

Keeferes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
Belton; Upstate SC
www.facebook.com
a7c845e7f21817f7d1a680ee1b59dc79.jpg
ca0a22f4b42663dafde3acaa621bd357.jpg
c258e668a21da4cff016b6f950403d27.jpg

I'm going to grab some buffing compound and finish polishing it to a mirror shine. I started out with a stone, but found a course sanding drum to be much faster with less heat. I did have it shaved with the ring still on, but the material left was so thin it was pointless. One little bump and the ring would have bent anyways, so I decided to just take it all the way off.

Reactions: mshinall
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread