Black stuff in my carto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No More Analog

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
USA
I cleaned my Boge LR carto in boiling water. Later I filled it with juice and the draw was too tight, so I pushed a toothpick down the center of the filler to clear it out. The toothpick tip came out all black. I blew through the carto (the same way you blow out new attys) and black liquid sprayed out.

I use clear juices, and one light amber one. What is the black from? Should I be worried about inhaling it?

No More Analog

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
USA
I only have LR cartos. I do have a couple standard attys I could try. It'd be a shame to have to buy different cartos for darker juices, especially since I like the performance of the LR cartos.

This juice actually killed a new LR atty. One day of vaping and the darn thing totally quit on me. Not a degradation of performance, but fine to done in a snap.

o4_srt

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Lancaster, PA
I'll try passing the juice through a coffee filter and see if that catches any small particulate matter.

most likely won't

the black stuff is probably carmelized sugars from flavoring or coloring in your juice. It's not unheard of, and unless you are sucking on the carto so hard you are inhaling the chunks, I wouldn't be worried about it. If it's on the atty/in the carto, it's not in your lungs, right?

All atty's (carto's included) clog over time and need to be cleaned. No cause for alarm.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
If it's on the atty/in the carto, it's not in your lungs, right?

All atty's (carto's included) clog over time and need to be cleaned. No cause for alarm.

Ahem. If it's in your carto, it most likely is in your lungs also.

Cartomizers are disposable for a reason. Gunk and crud are bad. My limit is 4-5 ml of juice through the carto, depending on the juice, and then it's time to either throw it out or clean it thoroughly.

MsOceanCity

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
New Jersey

Cartomizers are disposable for a reason. Gunk and crud are bad. My limit is 4-5 ml of juice through the carto, depending on the juice, and then it's time to either throw it out or clean it thoroughly.

I've tried boiling out my cartos that have gotten pre-maturally gunked(as in less than 1ml of juice), but it doesn't seem to break up the black crud at all:( Is there a better way?

derek88

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2010
Chicago
It may be just a waste of time and better to grab a new one honestly just like atties some cartos last longer then others like this one was used for 2-3 days at 5V before going like this
Picture42.jpg

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
The black on the middle of the filler could be where the filler burnt due to vaping the carto too long. The Boge-type cartos take about 28 to 30 drops when they're new, but when you refill them, they should take about 15 drops. If you vape much longer than 15 drops (or about 45 vapes), the filler will start burning -- and you won't realize it, but you should start noticing less flavor at the point when you should refill that carto or grab another one.

o4_srt

ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Lancaster, PA

that gunk also builds on atty's, but with atty's you can burn it off. no avoiding it

also builds on wicking material, which a dry burn also removes

every atty/carto i have ever bought or built has had gunk buildup on the coil.

as i've stated before, it's the unvaporized components of the juice. if it's sticking to the coil, it's not in your lungs. unless you can feel yourself inhaling chunks of carbon based material.

Last edited:

Traver

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2010
WV
That's why I use CE2's (no filler), however thick juices need to be thinned with distilled water for better wicking. The ce2's are relatively easy to clean and last.

I use CE2 myself. When they work they are great but that's the problem. They may or may not work. You still never know what you are getting with these cartos. They can usually be fixed but be ready for a lot of experimenting if you are going to use CE2s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread