Bloat and Upset Stomach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UGA81

Aug 11, 2014
Sarasota, FL
I just started vaping two days ago in an effort to kick the analog habit. I purchased juice with the highest nicotine because I was worried I wouldn't be able to stop analogs with a lower nicotine level.

Today my stomach is bloated pretty bad with a slight dull pain. I was just wondering if this is normal. Could the high level nicotine juice be causing this or is it something else related to vaping?

Thanks.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Hey-
I started and continue to use 24mg for the same reason. The majority of my juices are 70%pg/30%vg. About the middle of the second week I was getting terrible stomach cramps. Painful. They went away fairly fast. I figured I wasn't hydrated enough. Don't know if that was it or the particular juice I was using...and no longer do.
Hope it gets better for you and I'm curious to hear about others experience.

I just started vaping two days ago in an effort to kick the analog habit. I purchased juice with the highest nicotine because I was worried I wouldn't be able to stop analogs with a lower nicotine level.

Today my stomach is bloated pretty bad with a slight dull pain. I was just wondering if this is normal. Could the high level nicotine juice be causing this or is it something else related to vaping? Hope it clears up.id like to hear other's experience

Thanks.

Today my stomach is bloated pretty bad with a slight dull pain. I was just wondering if this is normal. Could the high level nicotine juice be causing this or is it something else related to vaping?

Thanks.

You might want to try a 50/50 PG VG mix and 12mg Nic. I found that was the best for me when I started vaping 3 months ago and not 1 cig.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

Thanks.

Yes, absolutely. Too much nicotine first gives me bad stomach pains, sometimes spinning dizziness, then horrible nausea. it sounds like it's too high a nic level, or you're vaping too much. if you really need to vape a lot (I did at first, and still do sometimes), then you need a lower nic level or it'll just make you feel sick, and that's no good.

Andria

PS: the bloat thing is pretty normal too, and gets worse if the nic is too high; lots of burping, hiccups, all that sort of thing. One of the milder nic-sick symptoms!

Despraci

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Palmyra, PA
I think everybodies journey is different. Stosh provided a great link about what you can expect. I for one thought I would just quit and have no side effects of quoting analogs.... boy was I wrong. I didn't have withdraw issues, I had to break some old habits, but health wise it was a journey. After three months of totally being smoke free I can finally say that I feel a lot healthier and feel like my old self, just healthier and breath easier.

I think all of us here will recommend to stick with it. It does get easier every week, but it does take time. And if you start having major pain or problem, see a doctor.

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin

ali206

Apr 4, 2014
seattle
I had similiar symptoms too...could be the following reasons I came up with & after surfing the net:

Too much nic, allergic reaction to nic,PG/VG/flavoring...symptom of withdrawal.

BTW, there are symptoms peeps will get when switching to vaping from analogs (its common & not considered an allergic reaction) it can include what your going thru on top of sore throat, nasal/chest congestion & I believe other symptoms.

You could also have ate something bad or caught a bug too. You cant just blame the vaping. Hope your feeling better by now. I think it took me good 2 maybe longer weeks to get over the initial symptoms (mine was more of a sore throat/swollen throat glands).

ali206

Apr 4, 2014
seattle
I think everybodies journey is different. Stosh provided a great link about what you can expect. I for one thought I would just quit and have no side effects of quoting analogs.... boy was I wrong. I didn't have withdraw issues, I had to break some old habits, but health wise it was a journey. After three months of totally being smoke free I can finally say that I feel a lot healthier and feel like my old self, just healthier and breath easier.

I think all of us here will recommend to stick with it. It does get easier every week, but it does take time. And if you start having major pain or problem, see a doctor.

Me too!!:( I didnt know there were actual side effects when switching to vaping (except for nic withdrawals if I wasnt getting enough)...I got my 1st ecig & juice at my nearest B&M. which I may add wasnt a true vape B&M,but a tobacco shop that started selling ecigs maybe a yr or so ago. Ended up having to go back in to correct them. They still said I was wrong...oh well,not worth my time to convince them. They even tried to force me to get 18mg & not 24mg juice either when I 1st started (before I went to DIY instead)...I knew I was gonna need the 24 but instead I gave in & got 18. Its why I had to return a week later (to get 24mg to stop the withdrawals). They thought they knew what they were talking about & I was having to correct them about what I learned in that week, but they shrugged me off. Never went back there again. So I learned the hard way about those kinds of B&M's

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
I have inherited chronic gastritis and take meds every day for it.. some get headaches, I get acid drip instead. Nicotine, no matter how you get it, smokes, chew, pills, patches or vaping causes acid drip in the stomach as well as acid ooze from the lining... there are two different acid systems to digest food and nicotine affects both of them. I'm sure you got the same stomache if you ever smoked too much. Lower your nic or start taking something like prilosec (I'm not a doc and not advising you medically.) You may have to take prilosec anyway for a few days to give your stomach a break and give it time to heal. In the meantime, stay away from spicey foods/drink including hot ones and cinammon, stay away from acid foods/drink like citrus as these will irritate an already raw stomach lining. Also, stay away from caffeine for a while as it does the same thing nicotine does... increases acid in the stomach... it just takes more of it.

PS: you may not think decaf tea or coffee are a problem while your stomach heals but they are. They both contain acid as potent as any citrus drink or food... so I wouldn't, for instance, replace sodas (acid) with iced tea for instance. These are just measures to take to give your stomach a break since its already inflammed from too much nic.

Last edited:

UGA81

Aug 11, 2014
Sarasota, FL
Hey guys and gals. I posted last week about my bloat and upset stomach and many of you attributed it to the high levels of nicotine in my juice. I bought juice with the highest levels (24mg and 2.4%). I was advised to lower those levels. I did that this week. I lowered to 16mg and 11mg. With the 11mg, I was not getting the throat hit I needed but the 16mg was perfect, however I am still getting some bloat and stomach pain. Not as much as before, but it's still there. The PG/VG ratio in my juice is 70/30. Could that be an underlying cause as well? Thanks.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Hey guys and gals. I posted last week about my bloat and upset stomach and many of you attributed it to the high levels of nicotine in my juice. I bought juice with the highest levels (24mg and 2.4%). I was advised to lower those levels. I did that this week. I lowered to 16mg and 11mg. With the 11mg, I was not getting the throat hit I needed but the 16mg was perfect, however I am still getting some bloat and stomach pain. Not as much as before, but it's still there. The PG/VG ratio in my juice is 70/30. Could that be an underlying cause as well? Thanks.

It could be. You could be allergic (or somewhat sensitive) to PG.

When I started vaping I thought I wanted to go with 100% VG. It turned out that too much VG gives me a stomach ache and to much PG makes me cough (it's very drying.) I found a ratio that works for me.

My reaction to VG is unusual. PG allergies are not. There are a lot of good juice vendors that let you choose your mix. If you don't want to invest in more juice until you are sure, buy a small bottle of food-quality or Kosher VG and add some to your liquid. It will dilute the flavor but you should be able to see if you feel better with a higher VG mix.

If you are allergic to PG (rather than just sensitive to it), there are several vendors who sell PG-free e-liquid.

David1975

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2014
Northlake, IL, USA
Glad I found this thread.... Been having the same problem for the last 2-3 days. Didn't even dawn on my I tried a new mix a few days ago, and if memory serves... did a ratio outside my norm the last time too. Guess the good news is I've now got an excuse for a meat and potato's diet....too much VeGetables bad for this guy! LOL :)

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Glad I found this thread.... Been having the same problem for the last 2-3 days. Didn't even dawn on my I tried a new mix a few days ago, and if memory serves... did a ratio outside my norm the last time too. Guess the good news is I've now got an excuse for a meat and potato's diet....too much VeGetables bad for this guy! LOL :)

Vegetable Glycerin does NOT equal Vegetables. Sorry. And having problems with PG is much more common than with VG.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

Merged the 2 threads :)

. Lori .

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2013
St Louis - Metro East
I have inherited chronic gastritis and take meds every day for it.. some get headaches, I get acid drip instead. Nicotine, no matter how you get it, smokes, chew, pills, patches or vaping causes acid drip in the stomach as well as acid ooze from the lining... there are two different acid systems to digest food and nicotine affects both of them. I'm sure you got the same stomache if you ever smoked too much. Lower your nic or start taking something like prilosec (I'm not a doc and not advising you medically.) You may have to take prilosec anyway for a few days to give your stomach a break and give it time to heal. In the meantime, stay away from spicey foods/drink including hot ones and cinammon, stay away from acid foods/drink like citrus as these will irritate an already raw stomach lining. Also, stay away from caffeine for a while as it does the same thing nicotine does... increases acid in the stomach... it just takes more of it.

PS: you may not think decaf tea or coffee are a problem while your stomach heals but they are. They both contain acid as potent as any citrus drink or food... so I wouldn't, for instance, replace sodas (acid) with iced tea for instance. These are just measures to take to give your stomach a break since its already inflammed from too much nic.

Thanks for the acid info. It meshes with some of what my gastro said plus other stuff I wondered about. It gives me things to think about when my stomach starts feeling rough. I'm was always bad about smoking helping with nausea and now trying to same with vaping. Maybe I've been making things worse sometimes :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread