blood pressure scare!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

grimmys cigs

Apr 15, 2008
hi everyone. well its been about 6 days since ive had my njoy. Im loving it. However i might be overdoing it . Today I went to the doctor for a upper respiratory infection and my blood pressure was high! I have never had high blood pressure. Does too much nicotine increase bloood pressure? I was smoking the njoy most of the morning and on my drive to the doctor, I am using the high njoy cartridge. I was a one pack a day smoker of traditional cigarretes. Any suggestions/ feedback would be appreciated! thanks :? :cry:

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Absolutely, nicotine can cause a dramatic rise in blood pressure. I can shoot mine up 20 or more points by popping a snus. A few nights ago, wife and i ate supper out and I put in place a 6mg snus after the meal. We then went to a grocery store that has a blood pressure machine in the pharmacy. I had had the snus in about 10 minutes when I took a blood pressure reading: Extremely high, the machine said and flashed numbers. I walked away very concerned. I returned 30 minutes later: Perfect blood pressure reading. I'd dropped by more than 25 points on each side (but my heart rate remained a very high 92bpm).

Some standard advice I've read: Never use a nicotine product 30 minutes before seeing a doctor.

BTW: I was using a Wise 6mg Swedish snus. It has a very, very powerful nicotine kick. I regularly e-smoke only the 24mg e-liquid -- and can't get anywhere near the kick that the Wise snus provides.

Meltrex

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2008
Arizona USA
www.MyEcig.com
grimmys cigs said:
thanks guys great advice. the reason i started off high is because i was a pack a day smoker so i thought that would be the equivalent of a high cartridge. I will most definately put in the medium when my high cart is done. that pressure reading made me very worried, so thanks guys for putting my mind at ease!!

If you don't mind me asking, what pack a day did you smoke? regulars, lights, ultralights, filter or filterless cigarettes?

Information that I have gathered on the Liquid Cartridges:
High=regular cigarette
Medium=Light cigarette
Low=Ultralight cigarette

The inhalation of nicotine by ecig is supposed to be far less nicotine intake per puff, than by a puff from a normal cigarette.
I catch myself over vaping often, Its very easy to do since there is no end until either your battery dies or your cartridge runs dry. Someone once posted here in ECF to use 0mg nicotine cartridges if your using your ecig alot. Then use your normal density of nicotine when that craving hits. That would require more than one ecig though, least make it easier. I'll catch myself going for about 20min straight at times, since I have many ecig devices laying around, its probably more now. My favorite ecig contains either a high or medium cartridge, but I keep low in the others most of the time.

Your intake of nicotine to avoid overdosing is definately something to be concerned with and aware of at all times.

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
grimmys cigs said:
hi everyone. well its been about 6 days since ive had my njoy. Im loving it. However i might be overdoing it . Today I went to the doctor for a upper respiratory infection and my blood pressure was high! I have never had high blood pressure. Does too much nicotine increase bloood pressure? I was smoking the njoy most of the morning and on my drive to the doctor, I am using the high njoy cartridge. I was a one pack a day smoker of traditional cigarretes. Any suggestions/ feedback would be appreciated! thanks :? :cry:
Hi...Hopefully you're okay now....I'm curious...May I know what was your readings when you tested at the doctors...??

Most of my patients shows either normal or mild elevated pulse rate(due to nicotine effect) but that depends on what level of nicotine strength they smoke..Most noticeable are those on High or extra-High density/strength....Also do remember when you're sick with fever or URTI , some patients will show are rise in BP or Pulse rate...A 1 degree rise in Celsius will increase the heart rate by 4 beats per minute ..so a baseline normal healthy reading is necessary for comparison to begin with. ;)

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I think Dr. Loi would agree that the blood pressure spike is nearly immediate and passes fairly quickly. It's not related to the quantity of liquid used daily, but more to an individual's susceptibility to blood pressure fluctuations caused by the stimulant aspect of nicotine use, and the strength of the nicotine itself. You spike from a cigarette, a snus, a dip hit, or a pipeful of tobacco. It's the nicotine hit that raises pressure and heart rate. That's part of its "lift."

The real danger comes to a person with blood pressure already on the "high" side. A normal person might show a rise that isn't really dangerous, but someone already high could spin it high enough for stroke or other complications. Know thyself. And know how nicotine affects you.

If the spike is worrisome, decrease the amount of nicotine used each time.

jimldk

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2008
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
As usual TB is right(are you sure you are just a retired journalist??..hehe :D )...usual rise of BP is transient and non lethal/harmful to normal tensive individuals..but can be detrimental to those with existing Hypertension and also heart diseases.Usage of these devices must correlate with the types of BP medication(best with Beta Blockers..it can control the sudden spike of pulse rate)...but still we are cautious and tread carefully .

On the bright side..these devices can be very flexible(adjustable dosage)...go zero when you hit the sky limit..better safe than sorry.. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread