Blood sugar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randybu80

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
Sonora, California, United States
So I work at a vape shop.. (would love for permission to plug it ;) ) last week a lady came back saying her set up was not working. We start to check it all out. Then she says its not working for her, that she is diabetic and it caused her bs to spike really bad. She had vaped less than a ml of 24mg. Not a sweet flavor or any reason I could see that the eliquid would cause this... was she just trying to find a reason to get her money back or has anyone else heard of this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
So I work at a vape shop.. (would love for permission to plug it ;) ) last week a lady came back saying her set up was not working. We start to check it all out. Then she says its not working for her, that she is diabetic and it caused her bs to spike really bad. She had vaped less than a ml of 24mg. Not a sweet flavor or any reason I could see that the eliquid would cause this... was she just trying to find a reason to get her money back or has anyone else heard of this

Trying to get her money back. There have been many discussions about vaping and diabetes and I don't recall one revealing that they had a sugar spike. It's been awhile, and I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Randybu80

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
Sonora, California, United States
Thank you for the reply. Thats pretty much what I was thinking. The only problem with vaping becoming main stream is now its bringing out the undesireable people :( I have to say 99% of our customers are amazing and I do everything I can to help them in there journey of the vape. There is always going to be those people that try to take advantage of you. Or mistake kindness for weakness. My boss even offered to personally buy back the batteries from her. Not the juice or tanks. But something. It was not good enough for this lady. I hope she went home annd decided to stick with it instead of continuing to smoke

from what ive read yes ejuice can cause a spike in bs mainly the menthol and sweet ones pg based more than vg based. but it could equally been something she had eaten that day and it was an excuse just vaping 2 ml is not enough of a test. I'm diabetic as well but would rather vape than smoke just adjust insulin to fit

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
I'm a type 2 diabetic and have been vaping for more than 2 years. Vaping does not affect my blood glucose at all, however, if I eat any amount of carbohydrates, it shots way up.

If you're a vendor, you can't argue with someone if they want to return something they've bought from you without getting into an argument. Whenever I've bought eliquid the disclaimer that there are no refunds on eliquid purchase is always posted clearly. All you can do is say "I'm sorry" and remind the person you don't have a refund policy on already purchased eliquid. You're not telling the individual they're going to have to vape it, that really, in the end, is their decision and personal responsibility.

Panorama911

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Kansas
Here is a post I made in another related topic, perhaps it will shed some light on this.

rated at 4 calories per gram of PG and 1 gram equals 1 ml (1/1000th) of a liter. It is rapidly metabolized as a sugar does for energy.

Bottom line is in order for it to affect BG levels one would need to ingest several ml in one dose, we inhale several ml over many hours so the raising of BG is moot for the most part, as this only pertains to pure PG minus flavorings but this too is of no concern as the flavorings are inhaled over long periods of time also, even if they have a higher glucose amount.

So for any juice to raise the level of BG one would need to drink a bottle of 10ml or vape the entire 10ml in one inhalation.This would equate to 40 grams of glucose ingested and will vary in the individual diabetic, differing for Types 1 and Type 2 as to how high the BG will raise.

For example if a Type 1 needs 1 unit of insulin per 10 grams of glucose, he/she would inject 4 units to cover the intake of a 10ml bottle of juice.

For Type 2 it is a whole different ballgame as they must rely on their own insulin with the aid of a pill or low dose injection if at all used, but the affect is still the same, very little if any rise in BG would be noticed.

The downside is, that smoking constricts blood flow, as does poor BG management and interferes with metabolism. Vaping does not so improved circulation and metabolism is benefited.

So if you are a diabetic, just not smoking is HUGE and the use of vaping is the tool to keep that benefit and if it does affect BG just monitor how it does and adjust for it.

I have a 5.1 a1c after quitting analogs, prior to that I had a 6.3 a1c....Been Type 1 for over 30 years...I say to diabetics...... fogettaboutit......VAPE ON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread