Bloomberg: “E-cigs as good as patch” - ECF Infozone Article

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECF Articles

ECF Veteran
Jul 29, 2013
A new article has been posted on the ECF Infozone: Something outgoing New York Mayor Bloomberg said, on the occasion of his signing of the city’s public use ban on e-cigarettes, has been sticking in my mind ever since. When asked whether electronic cigarettes could be considered an effective smoking cessation method, Bloomberg said: “It works about as well as patches, which is to say [...]
The post Bloomberg: “E-cigs as good as patch” appeared first on ECF InfoZone. Article by Gary Cox

Go and read it Here...!

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Interesting

Bloomberg said: “It works about as well as patches, which is to say it really doesn’t work”.

The whole point of an e-cig is to use it INSTEAD of smoking.

Patches are mostly ineffective at keeping people off cigarettes long-term. They are NRT and work, but quitting nicotine permanently is the tough bit. This is where e-cigs are a a revolution. Quit or never quit, but do it SAFER.

minitater

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
tennessee
www.minitater.com
Smoking addiction is not all about nicotine. Patches only address nicotine cravings and not in any real adjustable way.( except for minor increase and decrease in dosages applied to the patch) They do nothing to address oral fixations and that empty feeling some may get when reaching in your pocket and nothing is there. The e-cig, for me at least, addressed all the addictions, fixations and habits that went along with cigarettes. As we all know, tobacco, patches, pills, and ecig issues are about money, taxes and the elite who control or wish to control them.

wt

Deeo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Ontario, Canada
The patch never worked for me. Two weeks was the best i was able to do with the patch. The ecig i am at 3 weeks off analogs and i have not struggled to make that happen as i did when i was on the patch. Heck i even struggled 7 1/2 months cold turkey. Every morning waking up was a struggle but not when i have the ecig. I am almost betting that if i had 0 nic i would be able to use that 3/4 of the day. But instead of rushing off the nic i am lowering it first.

LeakingLeaf

Jan 23, 2014
Sweden
I have thought some about this, and my conclusion to these ridiculous "e-cigs does not help people to quit smoking" studies/surveys, I think is due to crappy cig-a-likes. If they were do a completely impartial study, on people who use Ego's, mods or good, quality cig-a-likes that actually do put out a decent amount of vapor; the end result would be extremely different. And don't forget, these studies are probably funded and lobbied by the pharmaceutical companies (which probably have connections with the tobacco companies as well). Big pharma is a COMPANY. Their purpose is not in first hand to help people but to make money, like most any other business. E-cigs are a big threat to the NRT part of their industry, and for tobacco companies, it's an even bigger threat since these futuristic 'cigarettes' may very well kill their entire industry.

It's a f'ed up, corrupt world, people. It's all about money. The government couldn't care less about your health.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I willing to bet that my Reo, with a 30A battery and 18mg nic has a better chance of keeping me from cigarettes than if i were covered in patches!

It's no surprise that people have such a hard time quitting when idiots in government that have either not done or ignored the research assume that a cigalike and a cartridge limited to 4mg will be at all effective.

T

anthropus1

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2014
ohio,usa
this looks to me to be just another way of keeping the "vaping is the same thing as smoking" argument alive and that is the only way a ban can work. vaping can be a way to quit smoking but you don't have to quit to vape and you don't have to vape to quit its something else that IS healthier and so far no studies have shown any cause for a ban. oh and I think the casaa has a link to a statement from the center of disease control and prevention showing that in 2009 ecigs were way more effective than the patch anyway :)

DigChrono

Oct 4, 2013
NC, USA
As much as I trust his news service (though I can't remember if he still owns it), Michael Bloomberg has a habit of putting his foot in his mouth in regards to public health issues. I hadn't heard of the New Zealand study until now, and while I think it's interesting information, I think it's more something to add to the growing body of scientific evidence, than something that has any value in being quoted by either side. Just because something is "about as effective" in scientific terms, it doesn't mean that vaping should be suppressed, it means that it's just another option.

Sbowlden

Dec 30, 2013
Atlanta, Ga.
I couldn't give less of a damn about what the government, the surgeon general, a warning label or the myriad of different lobbyists out there say. FACT: I tried gum. I tried the patch. I tried wellbutrin. I tried chantix. I tried cold turkey. Always went back to cigarettes. I smoked my last cigarette on the way to a B and M vape store and haven't even wanted one since.

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
I've never met a single person in my life that quit smoking using the patch, and VERY, VERY few that successfully quit using gum, maybe 1-2 people TOPS! But this site alone is a testament to how well vaping works. It's hard for me to imagine to this day EVEN POLITICIANS (and I have very, very strong feelings about 99.9999% of American politicians and they are not very nice) campaigning against vaping...

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
I have thought some about this, and my conclusion to these ridiculous "e-cigs does not help people to quit smoking" studies/surveys, I think is due to crappy cig-a-likes. If they were do a completely impartial study, on people who use Ego's, mods or good, quality cig-a-likes that actually do put out a decent amount of vapor; the end result would be extremely different. And don't forget, these studies are probably funded and lobbied by the pharmaceutical companies (which probably have connections with the tobacco companies as well). Big pharma is a COMPANY. Their purpose is not in first hand to help people but to make money, like most any other business. E-cigs are a big threat to the NRT part of their industry, and for tobacco companies, it's an even bigger threat since these futuristic 'cigarettes' may very well kill their entire industry.

It's a f'ed up, corrupt world, people. It's all about money. The government couldn't care less about your health.

This.

Add to that, the fact that those studies are manipulated. See the example of smokefree.gov, where every single testimonial involving e-cigarettes is deleted... later, they'll have the nerve to claim that 'there are no sucess stories of people who have tried the e-cig'. Forgetting, of course, that the simple fact of deleting dozens of testimonials IS a kind of study by itself...!

Anyway, Bloomberg realy put his foot in his mouth this time, didn't he? First, he actually aknowledged that the patch DOES NOT WORK... good. But, one might add, if the e-cigarette is really 'a little less useless' (!) than the patch, why ban the e-cig BEFORE banning the useless patch...? If the patch is indeed useless in 'treating' the 'disease' it was supposed to treat, then it should be taken from the market - like ANY other 'serious' medicine. Can you imagine a diabetic taking insulin that only works in about 4-5% the times it is taken? This kind of 'snake-oil' would soon be taken from the shelves.

But, like you said, "It's all about money. The government couldn't care less about your health"... governments need us to fail quitting time and time again, in order to collect those fat 'sin' taxes. here's a very good example:

Written question - Tax revenue from electronic cigarettes - E-004672/2013

Enough said. I rest my case... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread