Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
FDA Shifts Its Covid-19 Stance on Vaping
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration modified its stance on Covid-19 and vaping, saying it has an unknown effect on the risk of the new coronavirus, while warning that smoking can create worse outcomes.
The agency had said late last month that vapers and smokers with underlying health conditions might be at higher risk from complications.

Its description of cigarettes’ risks also differed from its earlier statements. “Cigarette smoking causes heart and lung diseases, suppresses the immune system, and increases the risk of respiratory infections,” FDA spokeswoman Alison Hunt said. “People who smoke cigarettes may be at increased risk from Covid-19, and may have worse outcomes from Covid-19.”

Last edited:

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
“People who smoke cigarettes may be at increased risk from Covid-19, and may have worse outcomes from Covid-19.”

Ah, yes ... That magic word "may" -- A perfect way of making a technically true statement while simultaneously spreading falsehood.

I do believe I've yet to read a news story about vaping and illness, of any kind, that wasn't dishonest in that way; true statements conveying false information via vagueness, details left out, and so on.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
“People who smoke cigarettes may be at increased risk from Covid-19, and may have worse outcomes from Covid-19.”

I didn't find that quote when I read it. Instead it says:

"“People with underlying health issues, such as heart or lung problems, may have increased risk for serious complications from Covid-19,” Michael Felberbaum, an FDA spokesman, said in an email Friday in response to questions from Bloomberg. “This includes people who smoke and/or vape tobacco or nicotine-containing products.”

This is correct, because it's the underlying health issues that are the problem. Did they change it?

MLEJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 14, 2020
I didn't find that quote when I read it. Instead it says:

"“People with underlying health issues, such as heart or lung problems, may have increased risk for serious complications from Covid-19,” Michael Felberbaum, an FDA spokesman, said in an email Friday in response to questions from Bloomberg. “This includes people who smoke and/or vape tobacco or nicotine-containing products.”

This is correct, because it's the underlying health issues that are the problem. Did they change it?
As of a moment ago, the full article includes the quote as you have it. A note at the bottom says the 1st paragraph was updated.

Either way, it's disinformation because vaping isn't in itself an underlying health issue.

Also, the article is filled with "vaping may..." and "e-cigarettes can..." and "could be..." and "experts have speculated that vaping is causing..." which are the sorts of statements most people invariably understand to mean "vaping does..." and "e-cigarettes will..." and "is" and "experts have said that vaping is causing." True words spreading false perceptions.

In addition, knowing full well that many people don't read news articles all the way through, the information that last year's vaping-related lung disease cases have been linked to THC vaping is near the very bottom. That kind of thing happens far too often to be unintentional.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Actually in this case, I think the majority of vapers, who are former quitters, DO have an increased risk of underlying problems. The teens have problems, but of a different kind.

I can't believe I am defending the CDC in this instance, but if you aren't out of the woods yet for ongoing health problems caused by decades of smoking, well, you just aren't. I mean I'm still in a high risk group for several more years.

I guess they could have included that somehow,, but really, I'm not sure just how far they HAVE to spell it out.

It would be sensible so parents of teens who they found vape equipment in their rooms wouldn't have to freak out maybe, but the statement as it stands may well NOT be incorrect, completely.

Anna

Reactions: Blitzdonlife

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
As of a moment ago, the full article includes the quote as you have it. A note at the bottom says the 1st paragraph was updated.

Either way, it's disinformation because vaping isn't in itself an underlying health issue.

Also, the article is filled with "vaping may..." and "e-cigarettes can..." and "could be..." and "experts have speculated that vaping is causing..." which are the sorts of statements most people invariably understand to mean "vaping does..." and "e-cigarettes will..." and "is" and "experts have said that vaping is causing." True words spreading false perceptions.

In addition, knowing full well that many people don't read news articles all the way through, the information that last year's vaping-related lung disease cases have been linked to THC vaping is near the very bottom. That kind of thing happens far too often to be unintentional.

I agree, it would have better if it said, "“This includes people who DO NOT smoke and/or vape tobacco or nicotine-containing products.” As it is, it could be taken as a half-truth. And, 'A half-truth is a whole lie.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread