Status
Not open for further replies.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I’m using my old Inferno batteries (650 and 900 mah) with Mini Davides and that worked well until the threads started stripping with the Ego/510 adapters. I was thinking the Kanger eVod eGo Battery 1000mah. It says to charge them using a 420mah ego charger. How the heck can you tell if the Inferno charger I have is a 420mah ego charger?

The wall AC adaptor wall plug reads:
Model: BN-168
Input: 100-240V AC
50 60Hz 100mA
Output: DC 5V +===500MA

The USB cable has the following printed on the wire.
What looks like a backwards RL AWM E214500 2725 28AWG VW-1SC 80oC 30V

It wouldn’t be a big deal to just buy a new charger except it seems like everybody, naturally, is out of the cables.
Any enlightenment greatly appreciated.

pmcode

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Barstow, CA
The battery will pull whatever mA it "needs", which is why you have to use a charger that is rated to at least provide what the battery requires. You also do not want to provide too many mA, as if the battery goes into run-away, the charger would not trip and continue to "feed" the battery.

Your charger should be fine, as it is the wall-wart rating that matters, not the usb cable (*mostly). The wall-wart has a 500mA rating

* USB specification requires all cables to have a minimum 500mA rating. Assuming the manufacturer followed those specs, you are good.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
The wall adapter output and and the charger dongle input should match. If they do, you're good. If they don't, it might work or...

You might want to just get a USB charger dongle.

DV has plenty in stock:

eGo/510 USB Rapid Charger - 420mAh

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
The wall adapter output and and the charger dongle input should match. If they do, you're good. If they don't, it might work or...

You might want to just get a USB charger dongle.

DV has plenty in stock:

eGo/510 USB Rapid Charger - 420mAh

Thanks, I'll have to get a new wall-wart too I guess as it's not compatible with mine. No biggie. It's in my cart, thanks :D

Thank you too pmcode :)

Just trying not to add to Baditude's photo collection.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Thanks, I'll have to get a new wall-wart too I guess as it's not compatible with mine. No biggie. It's in my cart, thanks :D

Thank you too pmcode :)

Just trying not to add to Baditude's photo collection.

I LOL'ed at that last statement. :D

If you're getting a new wall wart, you might want to look into getting a dual port wart made by Duracell. I got one for around $20.00 at Office Depot about a year ago to charge my personal and business cell phones at the same time. The output specs are consistent with the input specs for our Ego-style chargers and I can charge two batteries of different capacities, manufacture and charge state safely at the same time.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I LOL'ed at that last statement. :D

If you're getting a new wall wart, you might want to look into getting a dual port wart made by Duracell. I got one for around $20.00 at Office Depot about a year ago to charge my personal and business cell phones at the same time. The output specs are consistent with the input specs for our Ego-style chargers and I can charge two batteries of different capacities, manufacture and charge state safely at the same time.

Yeah, he just loves to flash those photos around.

That sounds sweet, I'll look into it. Thanks! :)

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
Most ecig kits I've seen come with a wall adapter that is 500mah 5v output and the charger is 420mah 4.2v. The charger itself uses some of the voltage in the process of converting. The key is not to go under the 420 mah and don't exceed 5v output on the adapter. I use an adapter that is 5v 1Ah and have been for 4 months.

I just looked into the inferno and though I didn't see much detailed info, I saw nothing indicating the charging system for it would be a problem with other equipment. I would think if a problem existed there would have been multiple comments by now.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Most ecig kits I've seen come with a wall adapter that is 500mah 5v output and the charger is 420mah 4.2v. The charger itself uses some of the voltage in the process of converting. The key is not to go under the 420 mah and don't exceed 5v output on the adapter. I use an adapter that is 5v 1Ah and have been for 4 months.

I just looked into the inferno and though I didn't see much detailed info, I saw nothing indicating the charging system for it would be a problem with other equipment. I would think if a problem existed there would have been multiple comments by now.

Thank you. Yes, I think someone would have said something. Volcano does like to shroud their stuff in mystery don't they? Oh well, I quit cigarettes by using their stuff so it was worth it. And the batteries have all had over 200 hundred charges on them and still going strong so I'm grateful.

Criticalmass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
It should be fine and I like my EVOD batteries. The USB specifications have slowly allowed for most of these items to become universal chargers. I use my cell-phone a/c adapter with my ego charger cable all the time, no issues. I have even used my Kindle a/c adapter for it. :)

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
It should be fine and I like my EVOD batteries. The USB specifications have slowly allowed for most of these items to become universal chargers. I use my cell-phone a/c adapter with my ego charger cable all the time, no issues. I have even used my Kindle a/c adapter for it. :)

Yeah, see, I'm just not that brave. No B&Ms around here if I blow everything up either. Such is life. :)

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
Li-Ion batteries can be safely charged up to 2C (two times the rated capacity of the battery), but ideally should be charged at 1C or lower. So if you go below the rated capacity of the battery, then you will be perfectly fine, it just may take a while to charge the battery.

For example, say you have a 900mAh battery and a charger which outputs 4.2v @ 150mA. Well, it will take you roughly 6 hours to charge the fully depleted 900mAh battery, but it will not be dangerous (unless it trickle charges and doesn't terminate the charge once the battery reaches around 4.15 - 4.2v charge, which is a big no-no for any Li-Ion charger).

Now say you have a charger that has an output of 4.2v @ 1000mA and you are trying to charge a 150mAh battery, well that is VERY bad and should NEVER be done.

A good rule of thumb is simply sticking to 1C or lower. If you battery has 900mAh, then as long as the charger has 900mA, or less, charge rate @ 4.2v, then you will be fine. This is also a good idea since many Li-Ion manufacturers exaggerate their mAh ratings (*cough*Ultrafire*cough*Trustfire*cough*) :glare:. For example, many 900mAh 14500 Ultrafire/Trustfire batteries are actually between 500-750mAh. Only a few Li-Ion suppliers/manufacturers actually state the real numbers, like AW for example.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Li-Ion batteries can be safely charged up to 2C (two times the rated capacity of the battery), but ideally should be charged at 1C or lower.

I used to think maximum charge rates for all lithium ion batteries was at least 1C, but I found out a little while back this is not true. IMR generally range from about 1.5C to 4C AFAIK, so if you want to really rapid charge one you have to look it up. But hybrids and ICR can go as low as 0.4C max AFAIK, so again if you want to really rapid charge one you have to look it up. I don't know at what point of overcharge rate a battery will start to heat up, but I strongly suspect charging a 0.5C max charge battery at 2C would be a very exciting experience involving flame and possibly explosions.

I checked a few common batteries used in vaping and listed the charge ratings with references below.

Panasonic CGR18650CH 2250mAh Hybrid IMR Li-Mn: Max charging rate - 2.15 Amps (0.95C)

Panasonic NCR18650PD 2900 mAh Hybrid Li-ion: Rapid Charging current: 1.35A (0.46C) I have seen one instance of a max charging current for this at 1450mA (0.5C)

Panasonic High Drain NCR18650PF Hybrid 2900mAh li-ion: Max. charge current: 1.5A (0.52C)

Panasonic NCR18650A 3100mAh Protected Li-ion: Max charging rate - 3.1 Amps (1C)

Last edited:

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I don't know at what point of overcharge rate a battery will start to heat up, but I strongly suspect charging a 0.5C max charge battery at 2C would be a very exciting experience involving flame and possibly explosions.

How about we all come over to your house, our dogs can try to out gas each other outside, and try it? :D

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
How about we all come over to your house, our dogs can try to out gas each other outside, and try it? :D

LOL FlamingoTutu, I almost lost a mouthful of coffee when I read that. Thanks for the laugh!

I say we do it. Everyone bring a dog and a battery. Between the two we'll probably have more gas on our hands than we'll know what to do with :thumb:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread