Blown seven atomizers in 12 hours. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XDoctor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2009
Casper, WY
Hey guys, got my Chuck a few weeks back, its my first mod, but I've been vaping for a couple years. The Chuck has been blowing atomizers a LOT faster than my ego was. Until today I considered it an acceptable rate, but I got to work at 9am, using a 510 atomizer from Totally Wicked that was new three days ago. It stopped working at 9:05. I plugged in another one that I've been using for a few days and it stopped at 9:30. I was at 7.2V.

I switched to a brand new low resistance Cisco 306 and an 18650, dripped in five drops, let it sit for ten minutes, got four drags off it and it stopped.

I switched to another brand new LR Cisco 306. It worked until about noon and then blew.

I then went to a Cisco LR510, it lasted until 5:00 and died when I left work.

Out of low resistance atomizers, I plugged in a brand new standard resistance atty from TW, stayed at 3.7V and it lasted a half hour.

Just burned out #7, my last working atomizer.

I've been really careful to never hold the button down more than a second and a half, especially since about #3 died today. I've been very sure to keep the atomizers properly wet with juice... I just don't get it.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm back on my ego now because I've literally burned out every single atomizer that fits my Chuck in the last twelve hours. I tested everything with a multimeter and the voltages are all where they're supposed to be. I just don't get it. Does it just cost about $60 a day to use a Chuck?

dwillings

ECF Veteran
I switched to a brand new low resistance Cisco 306 and an 18650, dripped in five drops, let it sit for ten minutes, got four drags off it and it stopped.

I switched to another brand new LR Cisco 306. It worked until about noon and then blew.

I then went to a Cisco LR510, it lasted until 5:00 and died when I left work.

I'm confused here..So you're using a LR Atomizer on a 6v device? That's your issue..

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
I got part of it figured out. There’s a battery change missing from the original post.

Started at 7.2V. Killed two pretty new 510s from TW, resistance unknown
Switched to an 18650 (3.7V). Killed 3 LR Ciscos
Stayed at 3.7V. Killed standard resistance from TW and another unspecified atty

While 7.2V would kill the first two atomizers faster than 6.0V would, I can't get any further than that.

AmyB66

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
In A Padded Cell
Switch to cartos and stay away from the low resistance stuff. Not a fan of the lr at all, blew them all out. I try to make sure my cartos are in the 3.0 ohm range or whatever they call it. I know many folks love the attys. I can't stand them and the blow outs seem a bit unpredictable and when it happens it is awful tasting. On rare occassion I'll get a blown out hit on my cartos but I just kind of fill them up and blow out the excess and then they usually still work just fine for the juice and taste I am use to. On the rare occassions that I do blow one out, I am only tossing away a buck, buck fifty, no harm done! Oh, and this is at six vots.

You might want to check your battery charger. I have two seperate chargers, the one that does my 18650's is for 3.7. I have a seperate ultrafire charger that has a setting just for 3.0V. I am not a battery wizz but your charge could have something to do with this (I basically just do what Drozd says and leave it at that-he has info in the battery section, hasn't steered anyone wrong yet!)

QuikWgn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
SnoCo Washington
www.youtube.com
I can tell you that when you think you are at 7.2/7.4v, (using 2 3.6v or 3.7v 16340/rcr123a's) you are really at about 8.4v at least initially. I believeI probably have the same charger as you with a 3.0v/3.7v switch on the side and 2 16340/rcr123a recharge slots. Mine come out of there piping hot @ 4.2-4.3v (using both AW blk/slv & UltraFire gray 3.7v 16340's). Most chargers tend to overcharge by about .5v so that they 'stay fresh longer' after charging if they are not for an instant use application(I keep 4 pairs in rotation).

quovadis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
Florida USA
If you are blowing atty's there are 3 possibilities :
1. Voltage surpasses ohms resistance by 3 or more
Let's pretend an atomizer has a 3ohms resistance. The maximum allowed voltage for that atty should be 6 volts. That's a rule of thumb. 5.5 volts would be better (+2.5)

2. Two 3.6 v batteries when fully charged can provide an initial charge of 8.4 volts on a large chuck. Beware.

3. You have a short circuit that is blowing atty's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread