• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Blu Ecigs Acquired By Lorillard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shockabsorber

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
Montreal
IMHO this is probably about the worst thing that could happen to the industry. Big Tobacco has made a living of selling toxic nicotine delivery systems to its clients and lying about it the entire time. BT has shown that it has no qualms about poisoning it's client base if it means greater profits. Everyone that I have met throughout my vaping adventure, from people on this forum, to my best vaping buddy to our great white north vendors, all of them have had all of our overall health in mind when making decisions. This movement has been about choosing a healthier alternative to Big Tobacco products. Now it appears that they are going to muscle their way into our party anyhow. Sad, sad, sad.

Slim Batz

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
This is just another large corporation diversifying from an area of shrinking market to one of expanding market. The agenda I would think has always been to make money, not to spread evil. E-cigs sell BECAUSE they are perceived as healthier ... that is the model. I doubt this corporation is going to mess with a winner just for the sake of screwing people over. Given the tightness of the vaping community, I doubt they would last long if they tried.

Toronto_Mike

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 2, 2011
Toronto, Canada
To the best of knowledge, all of these "lookie likes" companies like BLU still have their cartos manufactured in China. Whatever is in them isn't going to change. And like Slim says, it's just another large corporation diversifying itself in the market place. I believe it's good news, if BT is getting involved as they have the power and money to persuade law makers as they see fit(for $$$).

renthepen

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2012
Canada
I doubt this corporation is going to mess with a winner just for the sake of screwing people over.

From Lorillard's Wikipedia:

"In December 2010, a Boston jury returned a $151 million dollar verdict against Lorillard Tobacco Company for giving out free samples of cigarettes to children in urban housing projects.[8] The plaintiff, Marie Evans, was nine when she first received these samples, according to documents filed by her attorneys. She died of lung cancer before trial.[9]"
Screwing people is their specialty though.

Slim Batz

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
From Lorillard's Wikipedia:

Screwing people is their specialty though.

No, making money is their specialty ... screwing people is the unfortunate side affect when you make money by selling tobacco products. BT management are by all accounts unethical ... but they aren't stupid. You don't increase profits by taking a "health" item and corrupting it because your mommy never hugged you when you were a kid.

renthepen

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2012
Canada
No, making money is their specialty ... screwing people is the unfortunate side affect when you make money by selling tobacco products. BT management are by all accounts unethical ... but they aren't stupid. You don't increase profits by taking a "health" item and corrupting it because your mommy never hugged you when you were a kid.

It is rare that I read someone else's opinion on a forum and admit he might be right. hehe

I surely hope you are right and I offer you a hug.

Eddie.Willers

ECF Wiki SysOp
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
Prairie Canada
Well, BT's involvement had to happen sooner or later. I believe we are at the tipping point where BT is feeling somewhat threatened by the growing PV market and the shrinking domestic cigaret market.

As others said, diversification & expansion into growing market areas is a sensible strategy but it remains to be seen what Lorillard intend to do with their new acquisition. Will they build it up? Will they use their lobbying power for the good? Will they tamper with liquid formulas?

We must be on our guard and watch closely for new developments.

ladyice

Oct 20, 2011
Ontario
This reminds me of a situation that happened years ago......there was a person who invented a motor for a car that was more efficient than a motorcycle engine for gas consumption. Now I'm not sure if it was a large car manufacturer or if it was a gasoline manufacturer ( was a few years ago). Well anyway they bought the plans for the said motor had the guy sign all kinds of non disclosure contracts. The plans were either destroyed or shelved....to never be heard of again. This was their way of knocking out the competition. In saying this......if these tobacco companies end up knocking out the big players in the game its going to make things harder for the little guy and the consumers. This is just my opinion.

MisterMike

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Cynical Mike thinks that this is a move on BT's part to ensure that their formerly captive customer base doesn't take its money elsewhere, whether by ensuring that e-cigs are just as addictive or by simply removing them from the equation altogether.

Optimistic Mike hopes that BT realizes they need to take themselves in a new direction if they want to remain a going concern, and that this involves providing healthier alternatives to traditional tobacco products.

Right now, I'd say I'm cynically optimistic. Their short-term goals are probably the former, but provided we can hold out and not let them corner the market, I hope that they see reason and realize the greater benefit of the latter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread