Blue Foam PLUG! UPDATED v2.0 "THE SLUG" - The Search is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
For info on the newest versions of the Blue Foam Plug (BFP) See below.

Version 2 "The Slug"

Version 3 "Shotgun Slug" Just released!

This mod is for the 510 cart.. Dont have a 510? Buy one! lol.. Joking! But seriously, you might like it using this mod ;)
This is kinda like the filter pad mod but i could'nt get that one to wick.

This is a Foam plug at the top of the cart only not a foam pad filler liek the other foam mod.. This mod lets you fill the entire cart with juice only and you use the foam pad to just plug the very top of the cart. The foam holds the juice in and wicks it perfectly to the atty!

P.S. I dont see why this wont work in other carts even if theres no lip inside it to hold the foam. The foam is springy enough and if you cut it much wider then the cart it may hold as long as you place it inside in the right spot so the bridge just touches it and dont push it down in. Could try it "Dry" with no juice and see if the foam holds.

Since i dont like the idea of the spring in the cart as it will probably rust over time i thought of something i think is better.

Been thinking about it for awhile now but could never think of what would be safe enough to plug the top of the cart and hold the juice and wick perfectly.
This mod works and you must try it.. I believe this "IS" what everyone has been looking for.. It just wicks and wicks away as fast as you want to hit your e-cig and it never floods the atty period! Keeps the wick nice and moist. I've honestly refilled the cart so far 4 times using the same plug and its STILL working the same as the first time! :)
THE SEARCH IS OVER!

Simply put.. Use a small piece of foam to plug the top of the cart and fill the cart with liquid. The piece is down far enough thats it hits the bridge perfectly and will stay in place.

The blue foam i'm using is called Bonded Foam Sleeve Rite Size U. Made for HOT Magnum Canister Filters.

So far its hitting awesomely and no leaks!

The foam is springy enough to hold in place and wicks perfectly. DONT LEAK,Never floods the atty and no juice in the mouth! Its perfect! When its dry, you'll know as no vapor will produce as theres no juice left like other fillers. It uses ALL the juice! You'll see when you pull the plug off to refill.
Thats the only prob is that it will be tuff to refill on the go.. but since its that good and it dont waste juice, theres no reason why you could'nt have a few carts ready to go with caps on them. At home its no big deal to pull it off with tweezers and fill it back up and pop the plug back on.

Heres a pic of the foam pad.. Made by Marineland, called Foam Bonded Sleeve Rite Size "U"

Heres a pic of the stuff.. Notice the one i'm holding is in a U shape. Thats how it comes. The package had 3 of these and i cut one at the seems to make 2 sheets. You can find this at a Pet store in the fish area. I bought it at Pet Smart.

Heres the setup.. You'll need a clean sharp pair of scissors and some tweezers. It would be smart about right now to take the large uncut sheet and wash it with some mild hand soap and rinse well just to remove any taste from the material.. I've notice this helps alot. pad it dry with some paper towel.

Last edited by a moderator:

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Here you can see the lip below the edge on the cart top. Its about a 1/4" down from the edge. Theres a lip on both sides. This is where you want to fill your juice to and what the foam plug rests on.

Here you can easily see the size of the foam plug compared to the cart. Dont have to be exact but get it close.

For those that want to know the exact size plug i used on the first very shot i tried it here it is: 10.40 mm Long (.409 Inches) x 6.88 mm wide (0.267 Inches) Wide. The thickness is just stock, as it came in the package.

Use the tweezers to insert the foam plug. NOTE: You want to make sure that the edges of the foam are touching the edges of the cart so the foam piece will squish and hold in place not allowing the juice to flow right on threw. Push it down from the sides as shown. Do this in both directions. It should be sitting on the lip. Now add 1- drop of juice ontop and insert it on the atty and fire it up!

For those of you that are not sure the right way to line up your cart to the atty.. Looks at this picture. See the white part down in the bottom of the atty? See how the shape matches the rim of the cart edge? Thats the direction you want to keep your cart to line up as you insert it into the atty. That way the wick makes good contact with the cart filler.

Been testing this since the post and its perfect so far! Its wicking perfectly as i can tell its keeping the atty moist. I can hit it every 3 secs and its a perfect hit every since time.
Still on the same cart with no signs of drying out yet.
This has to be the cart mod for me and boy will it be cheap as you dont use much foam at all hehe.

Last edited:

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
I'm using the *exact* same foam, but with ScottyBalls' spring mod. It does fit a 510 cart perfectly, without fraying or loose threads like polyfill.

I find that you have to cut the size of the foam perfectly to get good wicking without flooding. But it's an easy process - make it a little too big, and vape. If you find yourself with a dry atomizer when there's still fluid in the cart then trim the filter a little, put it back in, and add a drop of juice on top to get it wicking again. The second picture in post #2, showing the piece of blue foam next to the cart, looks to be exactly the same size as my piece of filter currently in my 510.

I agree about having a spring in the cart - I also worry about rust, metallic contamination, zinc flaking off, anything. I just don't like it, so I may have to move to this mod. But the spring does keep the foam in the right position, with constant pressure against the atty. I don't like the idea of only having friction to hold it in place - I like pressure.

I may move to having this foam near the bridge, and having some very coarse foam filling the bottom just to supply some pressure against the bridge.

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
The cart is ~80% filled with fluid. The foam acts as filler for the top 20%, acting as the filler, and a barrier against the fluid simply falling out.

The liquid doesn't seep out against the end you draw on because the reservoir is sealed at that end. When you draw on an e-cig the air flows along the side(s) of the fluid reservoir, not through the reservoir.

Last edited:

Scottes

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
Boston, MA
scottesrum.com
Yes, pet stores are the best place to check. The bag kinda says what it does - but I guess you have to know aquariums to understand, LOL.

Just about anything* that you carefully use for filler won't melt because it's not near anything hot enough to melt it. Only the atomizer coil is that hot, and the filter won't touch that - the filters touches the bridge which touches the wick inside the atomizer coil. Juice wicks from the reservoir to the blue foam to the bridge to the coil wick.

* Polyfill fibers are loose and long, so they can posibbly get to the coil. This foam doesn't have loose fibers, so it's far, far less likely.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
Thanks guys.. Just tried something a little different which i found very interesting.

I tried just adding the foam at the very top edge and not resting on the 2 ledges down in the cart. Full cart. inserted it into the atty and tried it. Same results.. hmmm. Pulled it off and its in the same spot were i left it hehe.

So with this in mind, i'd like to see someone try this mod on another cart like the 801. Though i dont know what size to make the plug so you'll have to use my pics and make it about that much larger then the cart i suppose.

Thinking this springy foam may be dense enough to just hold its place even with the force of the atty bridge pushing against it. Though i'm sure you'll have to know exactly how far in the bridge goes so it dont push on it too much to where it rocks it out of place and the juice flows freely.

Wish i had some 801s! Want to try some for my 6 volt mod as i hear there better for high voltage then the 510s.

EDIT: Not sure it thats working or not as it may just be pushing it back down on those 2 ledges in the cart. I guess we wont know unless someone tries this in a 801 at the right thickness to be firm enough to hold.

Last edited:

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
I wonder if you could wash and reuse it:confused: Has it became brittle at all:confused: I'm gonna find some:)
RIMP:evil:
I'm sure you could resue it over and over.. Not sure how many days in a row though. I'm now on day 2 and runing to e-cigs with it for testing purposes.

Oh, you could read up on this stuff from this mod Eheim filterpad mod as they use the same or simular stuff for there filler. I could not get that mod to wick good.. Might of been too much of the spongy filterpad that held the juice too much for me.

Either way, with this mod your only using a tiny piece and i cant wait to find out how many pieces i can get out of those of those large sheets hehe.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
The 801s I have are too smooth - no ridges - and they're all kind rounded - no right angles to give the spring much grip. I simply cut the spring at the correct height and dropped it in straight down. So the spring pushes up, pushing the filter into the bridge.

Hmm... an idea but i guess i'll just try it when i get some 801s. hehe. Thanks for the info as i've never seen a 801 cart.

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I tried using the blue foam as a plug at the top and it works quite well. The only problem I'm having is that if I pull off the cartridge the foam seems to be pulling out of the cart. I cut it to the exact dimensions mentioned here but the atomizer bridge seems to pull it out. Maybe I need to cut it a bit larger.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Maybe instead of a spring turned sideways, what about a plastic drinking straw cut short enough to just keep the plug from being pushed in by the atty bridge?

Slide the straw piece into the cart before filling with liquid. Put the plug in and it rests on the straw's top edge.

I just tried this. A Mcdonald's straw was too wide in diameter to fit into the cart, so I cut it lengthwise and cut a piece out. It ended up sort of coiling in on itself. I cut it to be a few mm below the top of the cart. I got about 15 drops in, until it was just over the top of the straw.

For a plug I used a piece of a greenie scrubbing pad. I pressed the end of the cart onto the pad and it held the outline to follow. I snipped a piece off just a tiny bit larger, so it seals the top well. Then I squeezed the filler into the cart above the straw. I pressed it in to sop up the fluid just above the straw line.

So far, it's not flooding, no liquid in the mouth and it's vaping really well. No funny taste from the greenie material, either.

If I can find a straw size that is larger in diameter than a coffee straw, but smaller than a Micky D's straw, it would be even easier!

Strawwithplug.jpg

Last edited:

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
I tried using the blue foam as a plug at the top and it works quite well. The only problem I'm having is that if I pull off the cartridge the foam seems to be pulling out of the cart. I cut it to the exact dimensions mentioned here but the atomizer bridge seems to pull it out. Maybe I need to cut it a bit larger.

Have not noticed that prob on 3 different attys. Is your atty bridge chewed up from a spring or copper screen mod? Dont know if you tried those mods but seems logical that it would mark up the bridge making catch the foam.

Kristin, interesting mod if i understand it right.. though not nessisary with this foam i'm using and the help of the inner lip/ledge in the 510 cart.

Though, someone with a 801 cart may just want to try that straw out as it sounds like it would totally hold the foam if cut to the right length needed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread