Bluenuts: Blueberry Doughnut with a touch of Lemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you might've heard about my recipe Bronuts, and if you follow me you know I have been working on some variants of it. Well, I finally feel I pinned down a good blueberry doughnut recipe and wanted to share it with you all. As for the strawberry variant, I haven't really worked that one out yet and for some reason the strawberry flavorings we have available just don't do too well in full bready recipes. They just end up feeling forced. Anyways, this recipe was a little easier especially since the deep flavor of blueberry works so well in bakeries. Here's the recipe...

Bluenuts: A Blueberry doughnut with a touch of lemon.

Brand | Flavoring | Concentration

FLV | Blueberry Muffin | 4%
FA | Cookie | 1.5%
FA | Bilberry | 0.5%
FA | Torrone | 0.5%
FLV | Butterscotch | 2%

MIX AT | 70VG | 30PG
STEEP | SHORT | (Overnight)

A bready and full blueberry doughnut with a touch of lemon zest. Not a doughnut with a blueberry glaze, but more of a blueberry muffin flavor where everything is baked in. This recipe is just asking to be played with and offers many different options. Also, you can vape this right after a nights rest which makes this a great recipe to make before bed if you're low on juice.

Flavor Notes

FLV Blueberry Muffin / FA Bilberry: As you'd except this is pretty much the entire base of the recipe. Now FLV's offering does somewhat of a good job creating an all encompassing blueberry muffin flavor, yet it lacks any real weight. FA Bilberry really helps pull out the blueberry from the muffin and does a good job of creating that *baked* blueberry flavor. **You can up the bilberry if you want a little more**, though I wouldn't go over 1.5% because it will really start to overpower the subtlties in the base.

FA Cookie: This adds the extra weight that is missing from the FLV flavoring. It also helps make the entire mix a little more "rough" and really adds to the bread. 1.5% if kind of at the higher end for this flavoring, but deep flavor from the blueberry helps round out those edges, and they really work well together. Honestly, FA Cookie and FA Bilberry alone would make for a nice quick vape.

FLV Butterscotch: This pretty much adds authenticity to the flavor and turn it from a muffin, over to a doughnut. The difference in flavor in their real life counterparts is very subtle (from a muffin to doughnut), and what **I** believe separates the two is that fried sweetness you get from doughnut that isn't in a muffin. This flavoring adds that.

FA Torrone: This brings everything together, makes everything a touch more velvety, and also adds the touch of lemon that brightens everything up and makes the recipe a touch more complex. If you'd like a bit more lemon, you can bring this up to 1%. I absolutely love this flavoring and in bakeries it's a cheatcode. This is vital to the success of this recipe, and without it you get somewhat of a flavor that's just too deep and dark. This should be in your arsenal anyway.

Options?: So one thing I definitely want to do with this is add some kind of nut in this. Such as walnut or pistachio. This flavor is on the deeper side and one way to play to its advantage is incorporate some kind of nuts. I haven't found anything to work right now, and I encourage anyone who likes this recipe to mess around with it. Also, if you want more of a lemon flavor from this, because it's quite hidden in here, I would try using Lemon Meringue Pie or something with a more smooth lemon flavor. Initially I wanted a lot of lemon so I was using these harsh lemon flavors such as INW Lemon Shisha and FA Lemon Sicily, and I just couldn't layer them in, in a way that fit. So I'd advise to try and utilize that Torrone in a way that will really bring out a lemon flavor from a smoother and creamier ingredient. Lastly, if you feel you want some more "crunch" or some more "bread" flavor you can use a touch more cookie or adding in a touch of AP. That should do the trick. I tend to like my recipes a little more softer and creamier so I'd understand if you feel there ain't enough bite to it.

And that's it. All these ingredients pretty much make sense, and nothing too crazy in going on here. I ran in to trouble creating this recipe by doing something that I always do when mixing and that's overthinking it. I would often use my brain instead of my palate to work out issues and it always leads to jumbled and confusing recipes. For example I tried mixing in all these different kinds of bakery flavors to create a base, when all I really needed to do was build from an all ready created one. I keep forgetting a golden rule in mixing that I always preach, and that's "less is more". So I hope you guys like it, I know I do. Please let me know your thoughts on it if you mix it up, it only helps! And lastly, I said I was working on a strawberry glazed doughnut recipe and I know a lot were wondering when it'll come out. I am still trying to wok that one out, but like I said I'm having issues incorporating strawberry into a fully bready flavor profile. I'm just not having luck with any of the "main" strawberries available, but I am looking at more obscure ones to try. Ok I'm out. Keep mixing!

Clark Kent

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2014
Metropolis Il.
I have really been going headfirst into DIY latley, this is my second go around with it. my fist offered a lot of thats vapeable but not truley satified results. I got the notoin to widen my variaty of flavors from the basic TFA's and Cappelela, this time around I spent a lot of time researcing and reading up on there uses and percents. I now have most of the essentials from all the major players in flavoring, and I really enjoying mixing with Flavor Art they have given me fantastic results of course there usally is a one or two other brands in any given mix, thats the fun of it. Anywho I did see your Bronuts and am waiting for 2 more large shippments of flavors. I will definitly give both of these a shot. and if I can Anything benificial I will report back. Thanks for Sharing the recipe and in depth reviews of the specifics on these flavors.

Reactions: Kenna

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
"Bluenuts", rather unfortunate name, think I'll stand down!
Good luck finding the illusive strawberry glaze..made something like that with vanilla cupcake or vanilla swirl and FA strawberry but lacking something- probably as guilty as the next man of over-thinking instead of tasting; there's a little chef in my head that won't shut up:(

Reactions: Kenna

Devilon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
United Kingdom
I mixed this up today but I just realized you mixed it at 70 VG/30 PG. I mixed it at 70 PG/30 VG.

I wonder how much this will change the flavor. :confused:

I would have though that this would enhance the flavour as it's my understanding that VG being a lot thicker can mask the flavour, but my only caution would be make sure you have plenty of cotton stuffed in if you are using this in a RTA as your mix will be a lot thinner and have a tendency to seep out if you are not careful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread