Status
Not open for further replies.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Bodens foolproof TC setup method.

Using this technique it does not matter what TC wire (above TCR 00130) you are using or mode you are in. Want to use any SS in Ti mode.. No problem.

Edit: lock resistance first :)

1. Set "temp" to the highest setting. (600F or 300C)

2. Start low and work up untill you find the wattage setting you want to vape at.

3. Use a mirror to see the highest "temp" that regesters while taking a normal puff.

4. Set "temp" limiter 10*F or 5*C above the "temp" noted in step 3.

5. Enjoy

-----------------

If you have a mod that does not allow you to adjust wattage in TC mode you have my condolences.

Last edited:

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
Bodens foolproof TC setup method.

Using this technique it does not matter what TC wire you are using or mode you are in. Want to use any SS in Ti mode.. No problem. Dont know the TCR value for the wire you have.. Does not matter.

1. Set "temp" to the highest setting. (600F or 300C)

2. Start low and work up untill you find the wattage setting you want to vape at.
3. Use a mirror to see the highest "temp" that regesters while taking a normal puff.

4. Set "temp" limiter 10*F or 5*C above the "temp" noted in step 3.

5. Enjoy

-----------------

If you have a mod that does not allow you to adjust wattage in TC mode you have my condolences.

err...not sure this is a good way to set it up to be honest and totally defeats the object of TC. This is exactly the same as vaping in wattage mode with kanthal....just a bit more random. Surely it isnt difficult to find out the TCR, set a reasonable temp and look for a wattage regime that ramps quickly enough and gives a stable vape?!?!

Reactions: KenD

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
err...not sure this is a good way to set it up to be honest and totally defeats the object of TC. This is exactly the same as vaping in wattage mode with kanthal....just a bit more random. Surely it isnt difficult to find out the TCR, set a reasonable temp and look for a wattage regime that ramps quickly enough and gives a stable vape?!?!
There is a set objective to TC? o_O

Not exactly the same. You also get temperature limiting and wick protection. Everything TC is designed to do.

Reactions: Tufur

zeus01

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2011
manila
uhm...
i used to do that when i initially was looking for my desired temp..

but the thing there is
depnding on the device
480f is different on and evic @75watts
vs
480f with an rx set 200watts

i know it should have the same temps
but for some reason the experience is diffrent

another is the tcr value..
if you get the wrong tcr value.
tc is finicky

a water test should help out in determining tcr...

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
you get no more temp limiting and wick protection than you do in wattage mode with kanthal...
Yes you do. Think about it. With my method you only hit the limiter when the wick starts to dry out. This way the temp does not go up when one of the two cooling functions (evaporation) is low.

Reactions: Tufur

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
uhm...
i used to do that when i initially was looking for my desired temp..

but the thing there is
depnding on the device
480f is different on and evic @75watts
vs
480f with an rx set 200watts

i know it should have the same temps
but for some reason the experience is diffrent

another is the tcr value..
if you get the wrong tcr value.
tc is finicky

a water test should help out in determining tcr...
With this technique TCR is not relevant. I don't care how accurate the screen "temp" is.

Reactions: edyle

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
uhm..sorry mate but tcr is all that relevant.

if its off tc wont work really.
not sure what device your running...

but yeah sure...
TCR is only relevant if you want the screen to be in the ballpark of the coils actual temperature. I know it is never correct so I don't worry about it.

The mod only needs three numbers to do temp limiting. A wattage, a start resistance and a hold resistance. You lock in the start resistance. You set the wattage by starting low and working up until you get the vape you want. The hold resistance is found by looking at the screen "temp" while taking a normal puff with the limiter set all the way up. Once you find the hold resistance "temp" you set it so when the wick starts to dry out the coil will be held at a temp that the airflow can cool.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Yes you do. Think about it. With my method you only hit the limiter when the wick starts to dry out. This way the temp does not go up when one of the two cooling functions (evaporation) is low.
Doesn't quite work. For example, using ss316 on a ni200 only device you'd need to set the temperature to 150℉ in order to have an actual temperature of 420℉. I know of no tc device that will let you set such a low temperature. The lowest is usually 200℉, which is close to 800℉ actually and likely to give you a burnt hit. You'll probably not get that far even as the low rise in resistance will kick you out of tc mode.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Doesn't quite work. For example, using ss316 on a ni200 only device you'd need to set the temperature to 150℉ in order to have an actual temperature of 420℉. I know of no tc device that will let you set such a low temperature. The lowest is usually 200℉, which is close to 800℉ actually and likely to give you a burnt hit. You'll probably not get that far even as the low rise in resistance will kick you out of tc mode.

I would use 430SS in Ni mode. With 316 the resistance does not change enough to make it a good TC wire.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I would use 430SS in Ni mode. With 316 the resistance does not change enough to make it a good TC wire.
But you said any tc wire. Ss316 is a great tc wire btw, if you have a device that can handle it. The tc precision is better than that of ni200 (though obviously not as high as titanium).

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
316 SS works fine in my VTC Mini. But then I don't use it in Ti mode. The problem comes when you don't have anything but 316 to use in a Ni200-only mod.
I don't consider 316 to be a TC wire. I did not realize people were using low TCR (<.0012) value wires.

That would explain why so many people have problems.

I will add an edit to the OP

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
316 is what Joyetech uses as the SS default on the Mini and Cuboid (seen below). Of course, user programmable TCR presets are also available to adjust to whatever wire being used.

joyetech_cuboid_150w_tc_vw_box_mod_silver_authentic_8__1_1.jpg

Reactions: KenD

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
What if are considering getting TC so you can take different style of hit without adjustment? E.g. long MTL's alternating with hard lung hits. Can this work or should I save my money?
Definitely doable. The mtl hits will have lower wattage as the temperature is reached quicker and the hard lung hits will hit at a higher wattage. Just make sure that your wattage is set high enough to be sufficient for the lung hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread