Body burden of toxic metals and rare earth elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
LOL, saved the best for last, didn't they:

However, these elements were detected at low concentrations. (Last sentence of the study).

Thanks for posting, I read it and it is usually the suck to not get more background info, but apparently this study showed that vaping is safer than smoking and also, that vaping as a source of "rare earth elements" is pretty minor.

I'm hoping that is what you were HOPING to point out, not a scare tactic. Etc.

Do you search these out and post them for comment because you are worried about Ecigs or what? It's not the first "tentatively scary" study you've posted, and you DO know that doing this gives the anti's more power, because it gets spread around.

I don't mind a good "huh, I should consider that" every now and again, but I'm kind of wondering why you are spending your time ferreting out so many of them? I mean, are you concerned, curious or what? (Not upset either, just curious my own self.)

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Uh, you misunderstand. I don't find the studies scary and I think YOU don't understand science, as you have repeatedly posted JUNK science.

Hehehe both my parents were geneticists and I worked for the NIH and some other REAL scientific jobs after college. I understand science quite well.

I guess if its genuine interest, I will need to keep posting LIMITATIONS and FLAWS in your junk science selections.

There is nothing scary about science itself, it's what certain groups DO that is lame and "scare tactics.)

Glad it's clear you are just posting all your "Finds."

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yawn

You eat most if not all of these in foods every day. How do you know if they came from smoking or vaping.

That's what I was wondering. I inhale cadmium for work and have for 30 some years. These kinds of tests can be cooked so easily by who they select. And the people who do the selecting have proven themselves to be more propagandists than scientists.

The fact that they only have 2 rural vapers vs 13 and 19 while urban numbers are more equal destroys any benefit of averaging. The vapers are going to test higher because they have fewer people who inhale less other pollution as every rural vs urban testing has shown.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
CU = Copper
Copper is essential to all living organisms as a trace dietary mineral because it is a key constituent of the respiratory enzyme complex cytochrome c oxidase. In molluscs and crustaceans, copper is a constituent of the blood pigment hemocyanin, replaced by the iron-complexed hemoglobin in fish and other vertebrates. In humans, copper is found mainly in the liver, muscle, and bone. The adult body contains between 1.4 and 2.1 mg of copper per kilogram of body weight.

SE = Selenium
Selenium salts are toxic in large amounts, but trace amounts are necessary for cellular function in many organisms, including all animals. Selenium is an ingredient in many multivitamins and other dietary supplements, including infant formula. It is a component of the antioxidant enzymes glutathione peroxidase and thioredoxin reductase (which indirectly reduce certain oxidized molecules in animals and some plants). It is also found in three deiodinase enzymes, which convert one thyroid hormone to another.

MO = Molybdenum
Molybdenum is an essential mineral in the body, just like iron and magnesium.

It is present in soil and transferred into your diet when you consume plants, as well as animals that feed on those plants. There is very little data on the specific molybdenum content of certain foods, as it depends on the content of the soil. Although amounts vary, the richest sources are usually beans, lentils, grains and organ meats, particularly liver and kidney. The molybdenum cofactor activates four essential enzymes, which are biological molecules that drive chemical reactions in the body.

ZN = Zinc
Zinc is an essential mineral, including to prenatal and postnatal development. Zinc deficiency affects about two billion people in the developing world and is associated with many diseases. In children, deficiency causes growth ......ation, delayed sexual maturation, infection susceptibility, and ......... Enzymes with a zinc atom in the reactive center are widespread in biochemistry, such as alcohol dehydrogenase in humans.

SB = Antimony
Not a known nutrient but found in foods both plant and animal. Also found in air and drinking water and most soil. Antimony is a silvery white metal of medium hardness that breaks easily. Antimony is usually mixed with other metals such as lead and zinc to form mixtures of metals called alloys. These alloys are used in lead storage batteries, solder, sheet and pipe metal, bearings, castings, type metal, ammunition, and pewter. Antimony trioxide is used in the production of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) water bottles.

V = Vanadium
Vanadium is a pervasive element of biological systems, being widely distributed across the food supply. Food refining and processing appear to increase vanadium content. At higher intakes, it accumulates in body tissues such as liver, kidney and bone. Essentiality of the nutrient has been established in lower life forms but the significance and extent of vanadium's role in humans has been overshadowed by the absence of deficiency symptoms in man.

I'll leave it to you to look up the rest. But they are quite common in foods and industrial environments.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
CU = Copper
Copper is essential to all living organisms as a trace dietary mineral because it is a key constituent of the respiratory enzyme complex cytochrome c oxidase. In molluscs and crustaceans, copper is a constituent of the blood pigment hemocyanin, replaced by the iron-complexed hemoglobin in fish and other vertebrates. In humans, copper is found mainly in the liver, muscle, and bone. The adult body contains between 1.4 and 2.1 mg of copper per kilogram of body weight.

SE = Selenium
Selenium salts are toxic in large amounts, but trace amounts are necessary for cellular function in many organisms, including all animals. Selenium is an ingredient in many multivitamins and other dietary supplements, including infant formula. It is a component of the antioxidant enzymes glutathione peroxidase and thioredoxin reductase (which indirectly reduce certain oxidized molecules in animals and some plants). It is also found in three deiodinase enzymes, which convert one thyroid hormone to another.

MO = Molybdenum

It is present in soil and transferred into your diet when you consume plants, as well as animals that feed on those plants. There is very little data on the specific molybdenum content of certain foods, as it depends on the content of the soil. Although amounts vary, the richest sources are usually beans, lentils, grains and organ meats, particularly liver and kidney. The molybdenum cofactor activates four essential enzymes, which are biological molecules that drive chemical reactions in the body.

ZN = Zinc
Zinc is an essential mineral, including to prenatal and postnatal development. Zinc deficiency affects about two billion people in the developing world and is associated with many diseases.[10] In children, deficiency causes growth ......ation, delayed sexual maturation, infection susceptibility, and ......... Enzymes with a zinc atom in the reactive center are widespread in biochemistry, such as alcohol dehydrogenase in humans.

SB = Antimony
Not a known nutrient but found in foods both plant and animal. Also found in air and drinking water and most soil. Antimony is a silvery white metal of medium hardness that breaks easily. Antimony is usually mixed with other metals such as lead and zinc to form mixtures of metals called alloys. These alloys are used in lead storage batteries, solder, sheet and pipe metal, bearings, castings, type metal, ammunition, and pewter. Antimony trioxide is used in the production of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) water bottles.

V = Vanadium
Vanadium is a pervasive element of biological systems, being widely distributed across the food supply. Food refining and processing appear to increase vanadium content. At higher intakes, it accumulates in body tissues such as liver, kidney and bone. Essentiality of the nutrient has been established in lower life forms but the significance and extent of vanadium's role in humans has been overshadowed by the absence of deficiency symptoms in man.

I'll leave it to you to look up the rest. But they are quite common in foods and industrial environments.
This post should be pinned. Thanks for taking the time Beamslider.

Alphazero

May 11, 2018
Uh, you misunderstand. I don't find the studies scary and I think YOU don't understand science, as you have repeatedly posted JUNK science.

Hehehe both my parents were geneticists and I worked for the NIH and some other REAL scientific jobs after college. I understand science quite well.

I guess if its genuine interest, I will need to keep posting LIMITATIONS and FLAWS in your junk science selections.

There is nothing scary about science itself, it's what certain groups DO that is lame and "scare tactics.)

Glad it's clear you are just posting all your "Finds."

Anna

So what you are suggesting? That i i should not post studies at all? Or just post the ones you like? If someone enter the health section then he can conclude for himself whether it is junk or not.
It seems to me that you are not so confident in the safety of vaping if every study scares you and it is all junk junk junk

Alphazero

May 11, 2018
CU = Copper

SE = Selenium

MO = Molybdenum

ZN = Zinc
Zinc is an essential mineral, including to prenatal and postnatal development. Zinc deficiency affects about two billion people in the developing world and is associated with many diseases. In children, deficiency causes growth ......ation, delayed sexual maturation, infection susceptibility, and ......... Enzymes with a zinc atom in the reactive center are widespread in biochemistry, such as alcohol dehydrogenase in humans.

SB = Antimony

V = Vanadium

Yes but the very big difference is between inhaling and ingestion

• Creative
Reactions: stols001

Alphazero

May 11, 2018
I dont understand why everyone here are so ...... from my post. It is not that i say the study is perfect i just post it and let you decide
Actually you should thank me for searching studies and posting them.
Blame the authors of the study, not me.
I just find recent health studies on e cig
dont care if it is good or bad,

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I really think the only upset person here is you. I also have to state AGAIN that I am not afraid of reading studies, I LOVE studies, and there is a person right here on ECF who has tested and really investigated temperature control and oveheating. I learned a great deal and ALSO found that many "best practices" for TC he recommended were immensely helpful. I read all the articles I can.

Again, my issue is ONLY that you post studies that were conducted poorly, under conditions that aren't ideal. I'm not afraid of junk science at ALL.

A few questions. Can you tell me what the null hypothesis is?
What would be a good reason to include or exclude someone in a study?
What is a control group, and why are they used?
What is a longitudinal study?
How would you rank import of studies (cell testing, human testing, mouse/animal studies, and under what conditions would you use either?
What factors would you consider unethical in a study?
What factors would make you consider a study ethical?
How important is funding sources in a study?
What is necessary in order to distinguish correlation vs. causation?

Get back to me with the answers on those, and we can talk.

Also, no one is mad at YOU. We are merely a bit concerned because you tend to post "science" versus SCIENCE.

Anna

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Yes but the very big difference is between inhaling and ingestion

From your link

"During the last years, there has been a significant increase in the use of e-cigarettes, although the role of them as source of inorganic elements has not been well established."

"Concentration of 42 elements, including trace elements, elements in the ATSDR's priority pollutant list and rare earth elements (REE) were measured by ICP-MS in the blood serum of participants."

So as you can see they did not measure what was inhaled. They tested blood levels. So either deliberately deceptive or junk study.

Again YAWN

Your work? Is someone paying you to distribute these bogus studies?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I dont understand why everyone here are so ...... from my post. It is not that i say the study is perfect i just post it and let you decide
Actually you should thank me for searching studies and posting them.
Blame the authors of the study, not me.
I just find recent health studies on e cig
dont care if it is good or bad,

I don't understand why people shooting holes in a study means they're .......
Because I'm exposed to metals in life outside of vaping I actually thought it was interesting, just not the best science.

So you are worry about others that cannot differentiate between junk or flawless studies.
I can understand that. But again i will continue with my work and you can comment about the flaws of the studies

But they can only comment positively or else they're ......?

And besides vapers have a right to be ....... ANTZ have been putting out propaganda disguised as science for a long time. That alone would make them as bad as Big Tobacco.
But now they're doing it to keep people smoking cigarettes while claiming it's for their own good when the truth is it's all about the money they make from that symbiotic relationship and that makes them worse than Big Tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread