Boge slotted cartos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick H

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
New Mexico
In my seemingly never ending search for the best tank carto I tried a few Boge slotted XL cartos. Seemed to be great, so I ordered a bunch. Now, they mostly seem to function OK, but probably half of them have an extremely tight draw. They all look the same. The hole through the center all look the same. I think the issue might be that on the tight ones, the rubber insulator inside the threaded portion (between the outer threaded portion, and the center (positive) post protrudes up and is partially blocking the two air holes just under the threads. Clear as mud? Anyone else have this issue?

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    mine are like these I found on google. Nothing there..........
    boge.jpg

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I think the problem is Boge's quality control. I use punched sometimes, and slotted sometimes. I started wondering why I can get 2 in a row that won't wick properly, and then get on a roll with some that wick fine. Started paying attention to the filler, and noticed that sometimes the filler is just super tight, and other times it isn't. I would take a needle and stick it into the filler in multiple places. Most times it would just slide right thru. But other times it won't go in without quite a bit of force. I guess with Boge pushes thousands out per day, there is just zero consistency.

nicetucu

ECF Veteran
    Mar 19, 2013
    Salem, Oregon
    I have a pack I'm using right now and I tend to fill them with the condom but mouth end down (I use 70/30 vg-pg ) and give them a good soak with a full condom full of juice before use. Than I put them in the tank and cut off all the air and suck through the drip tip until I see bubbles in the tank through the slot a couple of times.

I will do the later a few times throughout the life of the carto (maybe 4-5 days) until it's done and flavor loss is apparent or too tight of a draw. The one I'm using right now has been stellar for the last two days... it is a bit of a crap shoot.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    On the cartos with this issue, I can dig some of the rubber insulator out around the air holes and they draw fine. The tight draw has nothing to do with the filler or the tube through the middle.

Well. I'll be sure to check that next time I have a problem. Never occurred to me to even look at that. Again, that would fall into the poor quality control category.

acka

ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland
    I...noticed that sometimes the filler is just super tight, and other times it isn't. I would take a needle and stick it into the filler in multiple places. Most times it would just slide right thru. But other times it won't go in without quite a bit of force.

Yep, noticed this too. I can usually tell how it's gonna perform right from putting the syringe in the first time. Or at least how tight the draw is going to be.

Strangely though in P Busardo's 'Bogegate' video he takes the filler out of 3 seperate carts, and measures the length/thickness etc., even bites down on them to test the material, but reckoned there was no difference.

Strange beasts carts.

EDIT:
    On the cartos with this issue, I can dig some of the rubber insulator out around the air holes and they draw fine. The tight draw has nothing to do with the filler or the tube through the middle.

Sorry, should have read whole thread before posting, will try this too.

Patrick H

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    New Mexico
    How about some Good picts of this rubber around the air holes?? No idea where this is.

I tried; couldn't get a clear pic. If you look at the air holes (two, one on each side, between the threads and the body of the carto) you can see the white rubber insulator through the hole....

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I tried; couldn't get a clear pic. If you look at the air holes (two, one on each side, between the threads and the body of the carto) you can see the white rubber insulator through the hole....

With that description, I finally figured out what you were talking about. I'm looking at my current carto right now, and I see exactly what you are talking about. Seeing as this carto I'm currently using is one of the best cartos I've had in months (I'm on day 5 now and still vaping perfect!), I don't think that is the issue

But then again, I'm using it in a Texas Tuff Tank,- Boge that I punch 2 holes in. So it's possible that the 2 holes I punched are allowing perfect airflow in a carto that may have otherwise been too stiff of a draw.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    With that description, I finally figured out what you were talking about. I'm looking at my current carto right now, and I see exactly what you are talking about. Seeing as this carto I'm currently using is one of the best cartos I've had in months (I'm on day 5 now and still vaping perfect!), I don't think that is the issue

But then again, I'm using it in a Texas Tuff Tank,- Boge that I punch 2 holes in. So it's possible that the 2 holes I punched are allowing perfect airflow in a carto that may have otherwise been too stiff of a draw.

I think OP is referring to the 2 holes for Air down where the threads and post are, on the very bottom of the carto. Not the 2 holes you have up further on the body inside the tank that allows Juice to flow.

N2rock

ECF Veteran
    Jan 29, 2011
    Sugar Land, TX
    I think OP is referring to the 2 holes for Air down where the threads and post are, on the very bottom of the carto. Not the 2 holes you have up further on the body inside the tank that allows Juice to flow.

Yes, I understand that.

What I was saying, was the existing carto has exactly the issue he is talking about (those 2 tiny holes appear to be blocked by insulator). But the 2 holes I punched in the carto body are "countering" the negative affect of that, and giving me a perfect draw.

Patrick H

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    New Mexico
    Yes, I understand that.

What I was saying, was the existing carto has exactly the issue he is talking about (those 2 tiny holes appear to be blocked by insulator). But the 2 holes I punched in the carto body are "countering" the negative affect of that, and giving me a perfect draw.

The holes you punched are for feeding liquid only. None of the air drawn in (through) the carto goes through those holes.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread