Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
First off, I received this Bohr Pod mod to review from VaporL for the purpose of this review. My thanks to @VincentV for the offer and Ada at Vaporl at getting everything put together for me. This review is my personal opinion based my own experience and is not influenced by how I obtained it.

So, another pod released among the mass of pods released over the last few years. It feels like the precambrian era with a burst of evolutionary development to push for survival of the fittest in a competition for resources, in this case, us. Bohr is a company now entering the fray with a few pod offerings. The one I received in the Flask pod, which turns out to aptly describe the sleek design. So let's dive into the specs then the user experience.

The Bohr flask is a 2 ml replaceable coil in the cartridge pod mod with a battery of 1150 mAh. It offers 2 different coils for different use, a 0.4 ohm (recommended 12W) mesh coil for a more direct lung vape, and a 1.2 ohm (recommended 9W) ceramic coil for mouth to lung use.

It also brings real VW and VV to the pod world, offering adjustable wattage from 1 to 20W in 0.1 ohm increments (hold the button down and it goes by 1W at a time so no waiting 5 minutes to reach the max 20W).. It does not round robin, but given the wattage range it's not exactly a time waster. It is really nice to have a pod you dial in to your personal preference rather than choose from a few presets and finding one that's sorta good to your liking. It also offers VV for VV fans, it goes from 1.00 to 4.20V in 0.01V increments, again speeding up if you hold the +/- toggle on the side. Finally it has "Play mode" where you seem to be able to adjust by amps, and I have no idea why you would use it.

Finally, it brings a unique design shape to the market, that of a flask. Fairly flat with a gentle curve and smooth rounded edges, it breaks away from the boxy, hard edged designs and the "me too" longer, cigarette evoking shapes. The body is made of brushed aluminum and comes in gunmetal, black, and gold.
3 colors.JPG

It's very pretty and understated. There is an adjustment toggle on the left and a micro usb plug for charging on the right (it offers passthrough charging, which I'm not crazy about, but some folks really like that so it's there). There are two nonadjustable air holes on either side allowing you insert the pod without worrying about orientation (other than mouthpiece towards you).

I'm going to run through the unboxing and all in a second, but I want to put this out there early. Ergonomically this pod feels amazingly good in the hand. The brushed surface it just right for grip, and the smooth curves make it feel almost impossible to put down as you run your fingers across its body. From an industrial design standpoint, the body feels like a high end Italian car in your hand. I found myself using it just for the feel as for the vape, which happens to be fantastic (more to follow).

Other quick specs to throw out there, most of which are supposed to be in every device, but sometimes aren't.
  • 10 second timeout
  • Lock/unlock power by holding the the +/- adjustment toggle down but still vape
  • 5 click on/off
  • 3 click to change mode VW->VV->Play
  • OLED screen which is also the fire button (and the design works despite sounding weird)
  • Over temperature protection
  • Over current protection
  • Short protection
  • Overcharge protection
  • Over discharge protection
  • Screen timeout about 30 seconds measured by me after firing, and not adjustable
It comes in a simple but nice looking box

IMG_2742.jpg

Inside the box is the pod, 2 coils, a short usb cable (as though you don't have a dozen on hand by now) instruction manual which is nice and clear, although the type size does call for glasses if you're over 40, and a warranty card.

IMG_2746.jpg

The actual pod is just pressed into the top of the mod, and with air holes on either side orientation doesn't matter.The oval attached mouthpiece is both comfortable and echos the flask shape design. Coils are press fit inserted into the bottom of the pod (which concerned me at first, but it works well and nevr had any seepage or leak. On the bottom of the pod is a flap fill port which is large enough for the average Gorilla bottle and probably even a dropper if you're careful.

IMG_2751.jpg

Nice and small. The screen displays resistance, mode (Watt, VV,Play) setting, battery indicator, and when fired, puff time. It feels like a big boy pod. No trying to remember which color means what. It's just like using a shrunken mod. Press the screen and it fires with no delay. As you can see from how I hold it, thumb fire feels most natural to me.

Performance

Finally, what you wanted to read. In short, color me impressed. I'm mostly a restricted DL vaper, now mostly squonking on mech squonks. I do use pods for my out and about use for convenience. and while they're good, I'm happy when I get home to have a "real" vape. I started with the 0.4 ohm coil, which is more my vape style, primed, sat, a few unpowered draws, all set. I vaped a 70/30 6 mg VG blueberry juice I know well. The taste was spot on fantastic. Took another draw, honest, it really is fantastic. I've been living with this coil running at least 5 ml a day through it and after almost 30 ml tastes like day 1. There's even a cloud! Not huge, no fog up the living room, but I can get a hazy bathroom out of it. And it's a satisfying vape. I never felt like I had compromised and "give me back my squonk mod". No joke, however they built these coils knew what they were doing.

On the mtl 1.2 ohm ceramic coil, I set it up the same way, and had a nice tight true mtl draw. Two important points. First, it kept up with a 70/30 VG juice just fine. Second, the flavor was still excellent. Again, a very impressive performance. I haven't used it that much as I'm not a fan of that tight a draw, but it is the kind of draw a real mtl user will like.

On the downside, the coils are recommended at 12W for the 0.4 ohm coil and 8W for the 1.2 ohm coil. Both, in my opinion, are rated too high. I can get a great vape at 8W on the DL coil and 6W on the mtl. So why is that a downside? Because every time you insert the pod after filling (yes, you have to remove it to fill from the bottom) it defaults back to 12W or 8W depending on the coil, not holding the wattage you already found is perfect for you. Same thing seems to happen in some full size mods these days too, but I wish manufacturers wouldn't do that and let me keep the settings I selected, especially here when the wattage is so nicely adjustable.

One other niggle, well two, the plastic tank itself doesn't feel up to the quality of the body of the mod or the quality of the coils. It doesn't take away anything looks wise as the whole tank sits in the mod, and the coils work great in it, but it's a point I have to mention. Second, you need to take the pod off to see your juice level. Not hard to do, but seeing the juice level while installed would have been better. Especially as your wattage will reset when you remount the pod into the mod body. Last one, you do vape a lot of juice using the the 0.4 ohm coil. A 2 ml pod just doesn't feel like enough. 3-4 ml would have been better. However, despite the amount of liquid vaped, I had no problem getting over a day's use out of a single charge (a little over an hour for a full charge). And you have a real life battery indicator that seems fairly accurate instead of a colored light.

Pro and Cons

Pros

• Really great performance with some of the best flavor I've tasted out of a factory drop in coil from anyone and keeps up even with a higher VG juice. The mtl 1.2 ohm coil will probably be more satisfying with a more typical higher nic 50/50 juice, but it still kept up just fine with a 70/30. I never got a dry or harsh hit from either coil.
  • Beautiful design. The shape feels so good in your hand you can flip it around and never worry about using a fidget spinner ever again. I just never wanted to put it down, it felt so good in my palm. That flattened but curved shape also made it the most pocket friendly mod I've ever used. Even a shirt pocket will not look weird with one in it.
  • Solid battery life, especially for the size.
  • An adult screen where you can read your information like a "regular" mod instead of "is this cyan or green, and what does that mean?" You are in full control. I love that.
Cons
  • Small volume for the 0.4 ohm mesh coil. I refilled at least twice a day. How I wish it was 4 ml, it would be a 5+ star mod
  • No juice window. Having to pull the tank off to see what's left is not convenient. Especially as it resets your power, even if you already locked it in.
  • No stealth mode, but given how easy it is to palm, no one will see the light anyway, and your thumb will cover it while firing.
  • As the coil is centered, and there is only one fill port, if you use a thicker 70/30 juice it takes a little longer to get it tracked all the way through the pod interior. I found a vertical angle and then slowly tilting back horizontal to get a full pod worked best. However, if you're a 50/50 user, that shouldn't be an issue
Summary

Would I recommend this pod? Yes, hands down one of the best pods I've used. It ticks off all the boxes with excellent performance and flavor, real adjustments, and a clear and concise screen. The cons are really minor compared to the pros (well, the liquid level is sort of annoying, but I never ran the pod dry either so it's not that bad). I'd recommend it enough that I'm buying a backup and replacement coils (which, BTW, are relatively easy to find online). This is my new all day out and about mod, and even happy using it sitting in front of my laptop, like right now. Oh, and did I mention the design feels so good in the hand?

We're coming up on Labor Day Sales, so Vaporl sent a sale link if you're interested in giving one a spin from them.

BOHR Flask 20W Pod System Kit - 1150mAh & 2ml (informational purposes only, got nothing to do with me other than probably buying another one for myself with it on sale)

with the code BOHR it's $20.90, which is the best I've seen for it.

Thanks and a happy holiday weekend to all (who celebrate it, otherwise just happy weekend),
Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Wonderful write-up & review @Eskie !

Sounds great ! Just wish the Pods support an rba then I would definitely be on it!

I know. An RBA would be great, but the coil size form factor they went with is just too small. Probably would have made the whole mod larger to accommodate all that and defeat the 1150 mAh in such a small flat pod. Still, in today's environment an RBA would be a huge advantage.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Excellent review Eskie. With all the pods out there if I were to try one it would be this one. A pod for grownups (that might not be me ;)) but seriously yes. If I were to take a holiday pods would go with me versus risking my regulars with security and all. This would be the one.

If I knew someone who was quitting cigs this would be a no brainer IMO. I wish they had pods like this when we all switched over to vaping.

You had me in for the full read at "It feels like the precambrian era with a burst of evolutionary development to push for survival of the fittest in a competition for resources, in this case, us."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread