Boston bans e-cigs in workplaces, votes to treat them the same as analogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadLikeOrange

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
E-cigarettes banned in workplaces in Boston, and city prohibits sales to minors - Boston Medical News - White Coat Notes - Boston.com

I'm OK with this, really. I know I'm in the minority on this issue, but I don't vape in any public place that doesn't allow smoking. Most people don't know anything about e-cigs and those clouds of vapor make them uncomfortable -- people get apprehensive when they think someone around them is breaking the law (even if they're wrong).

Your part of the country may vary, but that's my experience in MA. I've always tried to advise people to be discreet about vaping, out of consideration for others (it usually falls on deaf ears). The whole point of vaping (to me) is that it is saving our lives (and our wallets) and it's fun. There's no need to flaunt it in public where smoking is banned -- that's only going to bring down more negativity over the whole industry.

However, any government control over these products is concerning. If they ever move to a total ban or tax policy, I'll be the first one calling my congressman.

MikeInNYC

Oct 17, 2011
NYC, NY
I don't think puffing inside is really necessary, I mean some people use it as a selling point, but I've seen threads here about people who smoke their ecig in their car and get a film on the windows.

Personally I won't smoke my ecig inside my own house unless my wife and kid are out of the house. The vapor travels through the whole house, upstairs, downstairs, etc.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
I do vape at work and no one minds. If people complained I would just go to the stairwell; nobody uses the stairs.

Seems like everything is illegal in MA. Hope that attitude doesn't spread. I know all the emails I send to those in charge make me feel like I'm pushing a rock up hill forever.

If they finally ban e-cigs I'll switch to Snus. Not smoking analogs no matter what happens.

upStomp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 5, 2010
North Central Mass
I cannot, and never will, be OK with bans of this type on private property. I vape discretely in public, but that's my choice. If a business owner wants to ban it on their property - so be it.

I'll never acquiesce to the use of government to force my neighbors to behave the way I think they should. Do you really think once the bans are firmly in place in this state that it will stop there? The nature of regulations are to grow - they very rarely shrink, especially in Mass.

Look to the then groundbreaking proliferation of smoking bans in this state - you'll see the same pattern here shortly. First we'll see a rush of local Boards of Health throughout the state following Boston's lead (likely to the letter). Then we'll see a state-wide "public use" ban pass. Then you can kiss online sales goodbye, as the Attorney General will start strong-arming out-of-state vendors into ending sales to Mass residents.

ETA: And say goodbye to vape meets (See my sig for details - we'd love to have you ;). Next one is on the 11th).

Last edited:

spicyed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2011
New Jersey
I dunno, guys. Who cares what's in the vapor? It makes some people uncomfortable, so just be considerate and don't do it. Farting in elevators isn't harmful or illegal either, but common courtesy says you should hold it until you are in your boss's office. Sheesh.

I understand that and never would smoke/vape directly in front of a non smoker. The scare campaign on second hand and now even third hand smoke is what pushes all of these bans and taxes through. We shouldn't be complacent and allow "our" government to label vapor as deadly without any proof, it will just lead to more and more taxes and restrictions of our freedoms in the future.

sppowers

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2011
Boston
Just hit up your nearest restroom at work and vape away. This trashy ban is just a formality to make ignorant people happy, be stealthy, you have that option. Good old Boston always has to be "different", felt the same hostility toward Bostonian govt when they decided to get cigarettes out of pharmacys (it serves no purpose, you walk 3 feet to a supermarket or quick stop and find them anyway)... people will always alienate other people that breath more than just the air, and there will always be loudmouths that preach to try and force us to be like them.

As for comfort zone and second hand vaping, people don't seem that uncomfortable when they are at a club huffing pg from a fog machine. If everyone had to be comfortable all the time there would be laws that forced everyone to say at home 24 hours a day and never come out, it is all just excuses; seriously, how often do you see a fellow vaper in a coffee shop puffing away anyway? Vaping is not even common enough to be a mild inconvenience to comfort, never mind health of non-smoke/vapers. We need to get more people to speak for vaping, we need to get more scientific proof that its not nearly as bad as smoking... I wish it was simple, but nothing good comes easy, especially when you don't have the numbers.

Last edited:

VetSGT

Destroyer of Mods
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2011
kansas
That is the problem, government shouldnt be the ones doing this.....It should be up to the individual business owners. If a person is to stupid to avoid a place with smoke, loud music, whatever and needs the government to make a law for them. Well that is a problem and as a business owner that would be my concern. And this folks is how our taxmoney is getting used wisely...

DOAlaboratories

Sep 11, 2011
Simi Valley
I don't really vape in public. I still go to the smoking zones. I know that sounds weird to some people, but i get asked about my ProVari and i get a chance to educate there too. I've been able to convert a few. I don't think vaping public (ESPECIALLY indoors) is a good idea, because I would like to be respectful as possible to not get the hammer dropped on us one vaper at a time. I do think it's none of the government's business, and i think that because they seem so comfortable with passing (f)laws with OUR taxpayer money, when the time comes they'll either tax the living f$@! out of our hobby and force us all to DIY, or go for an outright ban. Every time I see something like this pop up i get a little scared about our vaping future.

vaporbird

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2011
Bronx
Yep, our freedom has been lost one law at a time since about 1970! I'm so thankful I grew up in the 50's!

Really the 50s? I'm tankful I never had to go through all the BS my parents faced back then. I think this is as good as it's ever gotten in the USA and I can't wait for it to get even better.

Anyway. This ban is short-sighted. The people who make these bans are either spiteful moralists or they simply lack information. I have talked about this product with so many people and when they "get" what it is they always think it is amazing. That said, I don't mind being asked to step outside when vaping, it's not fun to get clouds of vapor from someone else's *mouth* on you-- of course we all breathe the same air, but the vapor just makes that fact a bit too...um... palpable. So, I don't mind sensible restrictions.

What I do mind, however, are laws that call my PV which contains 0mg juice 90% of the time a "tobacco product" it's like calling a squirrel a "kind of horse" -- yeah they both have 4 legs but... come on people.

I think it is important for legislation to make distinctions between e-cigs and analogs, these laws make it seem like they are pretty much the same, like if an e-cigs were a device that electronically *burned* tobacco or something. I'm pretty certain that's what many people think they are before they get informed. (It's what I thought!)

That misinformation will lead to more and more laws, possibly even bans, people will be scared of e-cigs if they view them as some kind of "super cigarette" and don't know how they work.

Last edited:

vaporbird

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2011
Bronx
I know that sounds weird to some people, but i get asked about my ProVari and i get a chance to educate there too.

Not weird. I should get paid for all the people I've gotten to say "oooh I think I'll try that" :laugh:
Well, I never tell people what brand to buy, and I emphasize that it's even possible to build your own if you're a tinkerer. I love how small-business/grass-rootsey the greater e-cig community is.

mooreted

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2011
California
That is the problem, government shouldnt be the ones doing this.....It should be up to the individual business owners. If a person is to stupid to avoid a place with smoke, loud music, whatever and needs the government to make a law for them. Well that is a problem and as a business owner that would be my concern. And this folks is how our taxmoney is getting used wisely...

I remember a story about a guy that kept getting in trouble for allowing smoking in HIS BAR. He had signs, "if you don't like smoking, stay out." Didn't matter that it was HIS FREAKING BAR!!! Private property.

I just don't get it:
If you don't like violent video games DON'T BUY THEM.
If you don't like sex on TV CHANGE THE CHANNEL.
If you don't like smoking STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM ME WHEN I SMOKE.

What I do in my own home, on my own lawn, in my own business is none of the government's or anyone else's business MYOB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread