Bought a passthrough, need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgonepostl

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
I'm sure some of you may have seen my video
My passthrough will arrive tomorrow and I just want to know any tips and advice to taking good care of it or maybe some easy mods that I could to apply longevity

The only thing I can think of is don't overflood the battery, don't smoke the e-cigg with the battery pointed upwards and I heard of one easy mod including electric tape but I can't find the thread.

From what I understand this is a true passthrough and doesn't contain any juice inside the battery, is this true? Just saps off the 5 volts from the usb?

I'm all about longevity in my products and if there's thing's I can do whether it comes from taking care of it to a simple mod I'm all for it.

Thanks everybody!!!

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
I ordered one and I think they are cheap pieces of China junk. LOL Sorry. The cord was so cheap and thin and it would light up but not vape on my hard drive. Needless to say, I sent the sucker back. I wasn't impressed with them at all. The quality of these things are very cheap. You're better off having a few extra batteries and free movement around your office.

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
when your usb cig does not work --

are you giving it enough power .......
some pc's do not give enough from their usb ports,
some laptops will never power it up,
and many of the power packs out there are hopeless.......

try it plugged into a --

POWERED USB HUB

if no workee there, then ok -- no workee

lots of you guys are trying to run these usb cigs on lo powered
usb outlets.

Di ......

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
when your usb cig does not work --

are you giving it enough power .......
some pc's do not give enough from their usb ports,
some laptops will never power it up,
and many of the power packs out there are hopeless.......

try it plugged into a --

POWERED USB HUB

if no workee there, then ok -- no workee

lots of you guys are trying to run these usb cigs on lo powered
usb outlets.

Di ......

Can't speak for anyone else but... I'm using the side port on my Dell XPS 1710. The 901 smoked like a dragon for around a week and a half. Now, it blinks when plugged in and nothing else. The Pen-style perfomed incredibly for a day and a half. Same thing... blinky, no worky.

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
Can't speak for anyone else but... I'm using the side port on my Dell XPS 1710. The 901 smoked like a dragon for around a week and a half. Now, it blinks when plugged in and nothing else. The Pen-style perfomed incredibly for a day and a half. Same thing... blinky, no worky.
Walrus........my 901 passthrough went into a coma a couple of days ago after a month and a half.........I bent and jiggled the usb wire end and it woke up......glued it from that end .....no problems now.Hope you didn't toss it out...you can always send it to Teraphon or another member to do an autopsy on it for future studies!:)The Wiz!

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Walrus........my 901 passthrough went into a coma a couple of days ago after a month and a half.........I bent and jiggled the usb wire end and it woke up......glued it from that end .....no problems now.Hope you didn't toss it out...you can always send it to Teraphon or another member to do an autopsy on it for future studies!:)The Wiz!

I thought about the wire, but it *is* still flashing when you plug it in... so power is getting in there...

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
is your switch stuck.....

try all the switch unstuckin' stuff ......

tap on desk .....
suck on battery - no cart -
put in warm place and dry in case liquid is in battery .....

Di ......

I've assumed it was stuck switches. I've sucked until my cheeks hurt. I'll try the other suggestions.

UkUsa

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2008
Smalltown Iowa, USA
Hope you didn't toss it out...you can always send it to Teraphon or another member to do an autopsy on it for future studies!:)The Wiz!

Walrus If you ever come to the point of throwing it out, don't. There is more than a few memebers, me included who would be willing to take a look at it for you. YouFillintheBlank is always asking for parts.

I made my own usb with a manual switch using parts from a dead battery, an old USB cable and some other stuff that was hanging around at work. It ain't too pretty but it works like a champ and has been going good for 2 months.

It would be easy to make another one out of the parts or maybe even repair and improve the original. The main thing we need is the battery connection. Once we have that connection the rest of the parts are real cheap.

Good luck with it !!

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
Walrus If you ever come to the point of throwing it out, don't. There is more than a few memebers, me included who would be willing to take a look at it for you. YouFillintheBlank is always asking for parts.

I made my own usb with a manual switch using parts from a dead battery, an old USB cable and some other stuff that was hanging around at work. It ain't too pretty but it works like a champ and has been going good for 2 months.

It would be easy to make another one out of the parts or maybe even repair and improve the original. The main thing we need is the battery connection. Once we have that connection the rest of the parts are real cheap.

Good luck with it !!

Care to send me the parts list/procedure? I have plenty of time on my hands... and would love a manual switch USB pass-through.

UkUsa

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2008
Smalltown Iowa, USA
No problem Walrus, here is a pic of mine Like i said it ain't pretty but it works.

Most of the parts you'd need are a momentary switch, LED, resistor and an enclosure to mount the stuff in.
Switch - radio shack $3.00 for a 4 pack, led, resistor and box pulled from spare parts box at work.
I have a wiring diagram posted on this thread - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/7849-wheres-my-power.html This was one guys trials trying to get his working. It has some good info for you if you want to start building your own stuff.

Edit - i got to get to work but once i get there i can get some more info together for you.

Last edited:

Walrus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
Baton Rouge, LA
No problem Walrus, here is a pic of mine Like i said it ain't pretty but it works.

Most of the parts you'd need are a momentary switch, LED, resistor and an enclosure to mount the stuff in.
Switch - radio shack $3.00 for a 4 pack, led, resistor and box pulled from spare parts box at work.
I have a wiring diagram posted on this thread - http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modders-forum/7849-wheres-my-power.html This was one guys trials trying to get his working. It has some good info for you if you want to start building your own stuff.

Edit - i got to get to work but once i get there i can get some more info together for you.

What load for the led and resistor? Radio Shack has some project boxes, too. And what gauge wire was used?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread