Bought nic from 3 vendors. Only one smells "flavorless"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
On January 3rd, I placed 3 orders for 120ml 100mg VG nicotine.

Yesterday, a friend and I unsealed them. My bottles have not arrived, so we only did a quick smell test instead of diluting them down and putting them in new bottles.

The first one of the 3 we opened was "odorless". It had a very, very, mild, chemical smell. You could easily tell that it wasn't water, but it was still a fairly weak smell. Probably what clean, clear nic should smell like. This one was from Wizard Labs.

The second one smelled like a certain stick epoxy that I had used some time ago. The kind that comes in two putty sticks that you mix together (I think one stick was yellow, and the other was blue). I remember that epoxy because it had an almost peanut butter like smell. This bottle of nic smells exactly like I remember that epoxy smelling. I would categorize the smell as medium stong to very strong. This one was from MFS.

The third one had an even stronger odor. Much stronger than the MFS nic. We both said epoxy was what it reminded us of, but without the peanut butter undertones. I was suprised. It was the one from Nude Nicotine.

I'm a little bummed about it. I ordered from multiple vendors because of the other nic comparison thread (Cyrus vape's thread???) on here. The MFS and Nude Nic smell like they would have a very large impact on the taste of anything I put it in. I am going to place an order for some additional nic from WL for my personal stocks. I can see it having the least impact on any flavors that I come up with. I guess I should also give RTS a shot. Due to my limited knowledge and experience with nicotine, I have 240ml of nic that I really am not sure what to do with. Should I call the vendors back? Are all 3 supposed to have the mild smell, or is one of the other 2 correct. Suggestions? maybe I should use the WL in the fruit flavors and see if I can "bury" the taste of the other nics in juices with strong flavors? I would need to put them in something very strong to do that.

Arrrrrgh!

Wingsfan0310

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2013
Flat Rock, MI, USA
Thanks for that MD. I always use WL Nic and have nothing but good things to say about it. I'm a little surprised to hear about the Nude Nic. Seems like a lot of people say it's crystal clear with no smell. I was thinking of trying it if I wanted to stock up a little more but after reading this, I'll stick with WL.

You might want to repost this in the Nic comparison thread, there are a few people subscribed to it that know a lot more about all the Nics than I do. Sorry to hear only 1 out of the 3 seem to be good :( Good luck with the DIY :vapor:

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

j3illy

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2013
MA
People have mentioned some 100mg nic having an odor, and said it didn't affect the juice they made. I wouldn't gauge any opinions solely based on an odor, cuz it's not like nicotine is supposed to be tasteless. It's adding the peppery punch to the throat-hit which is to be expected. I imagine the 100mg nic is gonna vary throughout vendors, cuz 100mg is only 10% of the volume of the final product. As long as it's at the proper potency, that'd be the important thing IMO.

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Even at 100 mg/ml, nicotine should be odorless. I would contact the vendors about this and voice your concerns. I know that Nude Nic will replace it without hesitation. Not sure about MFS.

If you buy from RTS, know that they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee on their nic. If you have any problems with nic you get from them, and you contact them within 30 days, they will replace it , no questions asked. They are pretty good like that.

I suggest picking up a nicotine test kit from Wizard. The vendors we get our nic from are trustworthy, but mistakes happen, and there are slight variances in batches. It's always a good idea to test your nic at least once before mixing it down or using it.

we2rcool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2013
Iowa, IA, USA
Our experience is the complete opposite. Our Nude Nic is virtually odorless & flavorless - and that which we got from Wizard labs has such strong 'nicotine peppery smell' and taste that we can only use it in our intense tobacco mixes (or vape it alone in place of tobacco).

Crazy

Last edited:

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I have enjoyed unflavored MFS nic vaping since 2009. Lasts over 4 years when freezer stored. I just popped the top of 2012 vintage MFS 100 mg and it has a very faint odor and has a mild taste I enjoy. The mild peppery sweet taste becomes noticeable as nic concentration is increased above 4 mg. I would miss the taste if filtered out. Googled MSDS states nic has a characteristic odor.

Hope someone takes the time to post taste test results of 8 mg unflavored from different vendors.

AthensGa

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
Athens, GA USA
I took a quick whiff of my 18mg Nude Nicotine Nicotine. It's all but odorless. There is the faintest of scent there, but if I wasn't really trying to smell it I wouldn't have noticed it. To be fair I just went and smelled the 24mg that I have. It smells the teeniest bit stronger, but honestly I wouldn't say that it smelled like anything. It just doesn't smell like nothing, if you get my drift.

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
Our experience is the complete opposite. Our Nude Nic is virtually odorless & flavorless - and that which we got from Wizard labs has such strong 'nicotine peppery smell' and taste that we can only use it in our intense tobacco mixes (or vape it alone in place of tobacco).

Crazy

I was very suprised that it was the one with the strongest odor. I was epecting it to be, well... nude. This one smells nekked.

Old joke -What is the difference between nude and naked? Nude is when you have no clothes on. Naked is when you have no clothes on and something good is going on. ;)

Even at 100 mg/ml, nicotine should be odorless. I would contact the vendors about this and voice your concerns. I know that Nude Nic will replace it without hesitation. Not sure about MFS.

If you buy from RTS, know that they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee on their nic. If you have any problems with nic you get from them, and you contact them within 30 days, they will replace it , no questions asked. They are pretty good like that.

I suggest picking up a nicotine test kit from Wizard. The vendors we get our nic from are trustworthy, but mistakes happen, and there are slight variances in batches. It's always a good idea to test your nic at least once before mixing it down or using it.
I have the test kit. I don't have any distilled water yet. I'll pick some up after work today.

People have mentioned some 100mg nic having an odor, and said it didn't affect the juice they made. I wouldn't gauge any opinions solely based on an odor, cuz it's not like nicotine is supposed to be tasteless. It's adding the peppery punch to the throat-hit which is to be expected. I imagine the 100mg nic is gonna vary throughout vendors, cuz 100mg is only 10% of the volume of the final product. As long as it's at the proper potency, that'd be the important thing IMO.
I'll make up a small batch of a flavor, split it in 3, and make a botte of each at 12mg as a test in the next couple of days.

I wish someone who had some experience with this was in MD so I could get a second opinion. I used to live within 20 miles of Athens, and I used to be in Raleigh about every 2 weeks, my Mom's family is from MA. and my brother in law and niece live in AZ. LOL... Oh, well... More to come.

Steve - I'll post a reply in that thread and link to this one...

HeadInClouds

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2013
Thanks for your comparison. I've never detected a scent ordering direct from RTS and from WL via High Desert Vapes.

Given that you got 100mg, you might take small samples of each to dilute to your preferred strength, and see how that affects them. If I got nic I could smell like that, I'd drop the vendor a note right away.

MD_Boater

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2013
Maryland Chesapeake Bay
Maybe go back the next day and smell them in the opposite order. Consider however the argon gas used to push out the oxygen and packaging used can impact the smell. I would take some from each vendor and place it on a metal spoon or glass tube for a minute or so before testing.
Excellent point. I had completely forgotten about the argon gas used to pack the nude nic. I also have no idea what argon smells like. We did not move the bottles around much after opening them. I believe argon is heavier than air, so it may be what we smelled, and it might still be in the top of the bottle. We only had each bottle open for a total of about 10 seconds. Does MFS use argon as well? I wish I were not at the office right now, because you might be right...

I haven't had much luck with VG based nic. Small bottles have been OK, big bottles smell bad to me. Rebottling and a bit of airing out have helped some but honestly, they'll probably sit in the freezer until doomsday. These were from various vendors.

Hmm... which has the longer shelf life (without nic) PG or VG? I might have to switch gears on my thinking...

Last edited:

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Excellent point. I had completely forgotten about the argon gas used to pack the nude nic. I also have no idea what argon smells like. We did not move the bottles around much after opening them. I believe argon is heavier than air, so it may be what we smelled, and it might still be in the top of the bottle. We only had each bottle open for a total of about 10 seconds. Does MFS use argon as well? I wish I were not at the office right now, because you might be right...

Keep in mind that the only nicotine for which argon gas is used is Nude Nicotine's extended shelf life line of nic. All other nic from them and other vendors is just fill and seal.

Hmm... which has the longer shelf life (without nic) PG or VG? I might have to switch gears on my thinking...

PG will last longer, but not by much. The shelf life of PG is 2 years, and the shelf life of VG is 1.5 years. This is according to the MSDS sheets, and counts only for storage at room temp. If kept refrigerated or froze, the shelf life increases dramatically.

CMIIW...

WakeUpDead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 8, 2013
Ohio, USA
FYI, Wizards labs is about sold out of Nicotine, I know many love their stuff and also it can take some time for them to restock.

They have some 12-24-36 mg Nic left but nothing higher and no VG at all.

Just placed a small order myself since I was going to get a liter of 100mg next week and now cant, so I got a 250ml 36mg to tie me over till they restock, not ideal but better than running out or buying another brand.

As of this past weekend they still had everything in stock, it was in my cart all weekend, it got bought up on Monday then I guess.

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I have started ordering all my nic in pg instead of vg because vg has a potential of the nic separating and causing hot patches within the bottle. So it is recommended that you shake the bottle very well to blend the nic back in evenly. A couple of my batches made from nic in vg had produced a few of my mixes to be very potient while some seemed as if there was no nic at all. This was the only thing that made any sense to me. Again, this is just my experience and thought I would share.

:)

my last bottle was from Nude Nic in pg and was as clear and odorless as I have ever seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread