Boulder Rock turning juice black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthaat Giyuh

Jun 8, 2018
I have the boulder Rock, and it's been turning my clear brownish juice totally opaque black.

Any idea what's going on?

Pic shows two tanks, same juice

20180821_200656.jpg

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Without doing a chemical analysis of the liquid in the tank, we are just guessing. I'd guess 2 things might be contributing to the color change: 1. oxidation of nicotine 2. sweeteners and flavors gunking up your coil. I get the impression that most folks only care about the flavor and if the flavor is okay then they keep vaping. Personally, I'd dump it. If it always happens with the Boulder Rock, then I'd dump it too.

You might like this blog post about nicotine discoloration:
Factors involved in Nicotine Discoloration | HiLIQ Blog

Notthaat Giyuh

Jun 8, 2018
Thanks, gents. It's a piece of crap pod system that I bought simply for ease of use with nic salts. Probably cost $10, so it's not like I care about it or expected much. But I've never had this happen with any box mods or abo of the other devices I have.

Incidentally, the pod I showed was filled shortly before that pic was taken, you can see I used virtually nothing out of it, it's still full, just black.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks, gents. It's a piece of crap pod system that I bought simply for ease of use with nic salts. Probably cost $10, so it's not like I care about it or expected much. But I've never had this happen with any box mods or abo of the other devices I have.

Incidentally, the pod I showed was filled shortly before that pic was taken, you can see I used virtually nothing out of it, it's still full, just black.
Was it an old pod? Might just have been burned already. Those pods don’t last any less ne’er than a regular wick

• Agree

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
Is the wick in the pod? I thought the pod was just like an easily replaceable tank...

A pod contains a wick and coil. A pod is essentially just a really small RTA that is intended to be disposable instead of rebuildable... guess that would make it a DTA. ;) The Boulder Rock has a silica wick. Most pods use cotton but there a few others (like the Juul) that use silica.

There are a lot of inexpensive pods that won't turn your liquid black. I paid only $6 more for the Smok Infinix and have used it for over 4 months ($16 for the device, 2 pods, and a fill bottle). The pods cost me $3 each ($9 for a pack of 3).

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Is the wick in the pod? I thought the pod was just like an easily replaceable tank...
Pods are basically disposable RTAs. Tank, wick, and coil. A few like the dolphin have replaceable coils, but most don’t, especially the little ones like the boulder

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I would get another setup if you like the juice. You might be able to rewick your 10 dollar pod thing, but it doesn't look particularly awesome, and you can get better, refillable pods if you like the pod dealio, that will likely hold up better and be easier to use, reuse, rewick, etc.

You juice is probably high in gunking factors too, but even that should NOT turn it that dark almost immediately, so I'm going to agree with your pod needing to be replaced, either with another cartridge to see if it will help before shelling out more money on a better pod system.

It would be my inclination to go with a higher quality pod mod, but I don't use pods at all, so that's just an opinion at this point.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread