Box Mods Constructed of Stainless Steel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshAubrey

Verified Member
Feb 25, 2014
Joplin, MO
I've found uncoated stainless steel is a very durable material choice for mods to be made out of, though I haven't seen it often outside of tube mods, and even less for the entire box.

It's much more dent and scratch resistant (since it's harder) than other metals commonly used such as zinc alloy, aluminum, or zinc/aluminum that's been plated with a "stainless" finish (most advertised as "stainless" are plated to save cost, so as soon as it's scratched it can't be fixed).

If by chance it does get scratched, it's easily fixed with some high grit sandpaper and polish. I think this makes it ideal for a daily carry mod that could see some abuse, but can still look great at the end of the day.

I'd like to start a thread detailing any box mods where stainless steel is the primary metal used for construction (the more the better) for those looking for a durable box mod, though it's fine if there is some plastic, wood, etc. mixed in where it would normally be gripped in the middle.

Please feel free to add any more that you know of!

Edit: Now that I think about it, bonus points for any box mods made out of titanium (same hardness but lighter than stainless, though usually very $$$)!

To start it off:

Aspire NX75-S (CNC Edition)
stainless steel

nx75-stainless1.jpg

Sources:
1. Aspire NX 75S Mod | PVs & Mods | VaporBeast
2. Aspire NX75 CNC Edition (NX75-S & NX75-A) - Aspire! (NX75-S is the bottom option)
3. Others: Vapecrawler

ProVari Radius
stainless steel

black-onyx-provari-radius-60w

Dicodes Box Mods
stainless steel

Dani-Box.jpg

Source: Box Mods - dicodes-mods.com

BF Mods by @custom-classic
stainless steel
gV4c3apl.jpg

Source: BF Mods by Custom-Classic

KBOX Mini Platinum
stainless steel

kbox-mini-kangertech-60w-platinum-.jpg

Source: A bit old now but on ebay and various sites.

Last edited:

JoshAubrey

Verified Member
Feb 25, 2014
Joplin, MO
Last edited:

JoshAubrey

Verified Member
Feb 25, 2014
Joplin, MO
The noisy cricket 2-25 is milled from a solid block of aluminium alloy. Solid and handsome.
undefined.jpg

True, uncoated aluminum is a good second choice, but it sacrifices some durability since it's a softer metal (my dent-filled istick pico is testament to this), though it is lighter than stainless steel and at least it doesn't tarnish like zinc.

Last edited:

JoshAubrey

Verified Member
Feb 25, 2014
Joplin, MO
That Dicodes, I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.
Then I saw the price, way out of my league.

Still it is a lovely piece of engineering, and it takes companies like that to inspire innovation in the vaping game

Oh yeah, same here.
My only gripe is it using a charging base instead of usb, though the battery is removable. If they fix that in a revision then I might be too tempted to not buy it.
Here's Pbusardo's video if you want to see more:

Oomee

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
UK
Oh yeah, same here.
My only gripe is it using a charging base instead of usb, though the battery is removable. If they fix that in a revision then I might be too tempted to not buy it.
Here's Pbusardo's video if you want to see more:

Am watching it now, I agree about the charging base, a strange move.
Not sure if a safety thing, a reliability thing(not charge cct in mod?), or another revenue stream.

That centre pin does give me the willies though.
If your atty has stainless centre pin, it seems possible that is could wear the mod centre pin.
If your atty draws air through the bottom... is it possible you may inhale the beryllium copper?
That would be VERY bad for your health.
IDK I am NOT at all well up on metals, it does seem Stainless steel is harder than BeCu (~80 Vs 45)? Maybe someone more knowledgable could shed some light on it.

Heho, back to that vid...

JoshAubrey

Verified Member
Feb 25, 2014
Joplin, MO
I would love a SS mod with a DNA chip inside. Maybe i will find one some day.
Same here! Perhaps some more machinists will join the vaping community and we'll see a custom DNA SS box one of these days if the big manufacturers never do it.

Last edited:

gtianz

ECF Veteran
Thank you for this thread. I just ordered a aspire nx75s thanks to your post. I’m a fan of metal for everything. The feel and heft is highly preferable for me.

All my firearms are metal framed. No polymers. (Sorry to non gun people.)

I’m not extremely abusive with my devises, but I do drop on occasion. I had a very popular aluminum box mod and it was very cool. But, after about a year of use I couldn’t seat the door and it was beat to hell.

Hope this stainless aspire measures up and satisfies my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread