Box Mods.... You've Come A Long Way, Baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Found one of my original "box mods" the other day. An old 3 battery box converted into an ecig. It still works too!

Compared to today:

box mod.jpg

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
But remember, if things like the deeming regulations and state taxation do end up taking off, I'll bet the one on the left will be pretty valuable. That's pretty cool, did you build it yourself. Oh, and congrats on the Nano, it's been getting great reviews.
Actually, a one time forum member, @Guttermouth built it for me. I ordered the parts and found out I'm useless with a soldering iron so I sent them to him. He built a couple of others for my wife and I back in the day but this is the one I still have.

I'm loving the Nano!

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
You oldtimers talking about the olden days of vaping kill me. ;) :p

I have only been vaping for coming up on two years, but am constantly amazed how many of you quit smoking "back in the day". The difference in current technology vs. what was used even 5-6 years ago is crazy to me. :eek: If I had to punch cartos, use Gennys and SS mesh when I started vaping, I would have likely gone back to the smokes!

I wouldn't be suprised if some of the old gear becomes quite valuable in years to come. Not that I started vaping to build a collection to profit from, but I won't be letting go of my authentic mechs and RDAs, Provaris, Kayfuns and Kabukis any time soon either. :thumb:

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Found one of my original "box mods" the other day. An old 3 battery box converted into an ecig. It still works too!

Compared to today:

View attachment 664431
Looks similar to several i built from madvapes some years back when they were selling the boards and boxes separately and bought a few boards cheap on ebay as well .Still have them also bought a meter and put it in it.
full

WillieB69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2010
Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
Looks similar to several i built from madvapes some years back when they were selling the boards and boxes separately and bought a few boards cheap on ebay as well .Still have them also bought a meter and put it in it.
full

That badboy is a LOT more technical than mine! :D

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    full
    Watch out! The batteries are on Fire!! :)

WillieB69

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 4, 2010
    Mt. Pleasant, Iowa
    Lm2596 mods were great hand warmers in the winter too. I wish I still had my altoid tin mods.
    I never got how they did the tin mods without shorting out the whole thing. It is a metal box after all......

That being said, one built to handle modern subohm tanks would be awesome!

Reactions: Kprthevapr

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    You oldtimers talking about the olden days of vaping kill me. ;) [emoji14]

I have only been vaping for coming up on two years, but am constantly amazed how many of you quit smoking "back in the day". The difference in current technology vs. what was used even 5-6 years ago is crazy to me. :eek: If I had to punch cartos, use Gennys and SS mesh when I started vaping, I would have likely gone back to the smokes!

I wouldn't be suprised if some of the old gear becomes quite valuable in years to come. Not that I started vaping to build a collection to profit from, but I won't be letting go of my authentic mechs and RDAs, Provaris, Kayfuns and Kabukis any time soon either. :thumb:
    Actually I started vaping genesis attys shortly after a go with cig a likes 6 years ago with a mechanical mod. I use to vape around 20 watts with sub ohm coil with 24mg juice. Today I'm vaping rta's with sub ohm coils (in the .6 range, sometimes higher) with a regulated mod in the 20 watt range at 24mg. Honestly the vape then is pretty close to the vape I'm experiencing now. Yes it's a bit more consistent and a bit more vapor, but sort of close. I think the advancement is seen for those who started with something like a vivi nova and now vape a sub tank. The thing was, that for me back then, I was pushing the limits of resistance to get that vape and now those limits are considered basic vaping

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    You oldtimers talking about the olden days of vaping kill me. ;) :p

There was some logic to our madness back then.
    The FDA was involved in a lawsuit, customs was seizing shipments, and the end of vaping was looming over heads. (sound familiar?)
    For that reason some of us thought it prudent to learn how to become "self reliant" if needed. That meant learning how to build our own mod. Even building our own atomizer if needed (that's how the Genny was born).
    Mamu even posted step by step directions for how to build mods.
    like this one http://www.howder.com/dena_howto.pdf .
    Madvapes even sold kits for making your own mods back then.

I still have several old builds laying around. This little (stealth mod) is one of my favorites. It cost $2.20 to make back in 2011, and it still works.
    P1000526.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread