Brand new to DIY

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Okay, Tomorrow morning I will be receiving my very first set of DIY supplies. I ordered 36mg/mL Nic base, PG, VG, about 10 flavors, sweetener, koolada, tobacco absolute, various sized amber glass and plastic bottles, syringes, and pipettes. Is there anything else I should have gotten that is a staple for DIY?

My first ventures will be RY4 and Pina Colada. I did get those as flavorings, but I also got flavorings of what I think would be the individual components, so that if the actual flavor seems like it is missing something I can add it. Any tricks I should be aware of here? I don't intend to make the flavors from scratch just yet. I figure I can mix the RY4 and if for example I try it and think, "This could use more caramel", then I will have the caramel to add to it.

Also, are there any tricks to working with tobacco Absolutes that I should be aware of? I got the Tobacco Absolutes from WizardLabs, which I believe is diluted to 10% in PG. I seem to remember reading that you only want to use them at about 2 or 3% in juices...

I should probably say that I got everything from Wizardlabs, except the pure PG and VG. Those I got from EcigExpress. I have read Hoosiers blog, and I downloaded the ejuice Me Up calculator.

Sooo, any other tricks, or ideas that are handy to know? How long should I let them steep before at least trying them for the first time? Also, is there any trick to mixing everything? Like do I just put the base, pg, vg, and flavor in a bottle and stir or shake, or do I need to heat it while mixing? Anything really will help. I am a proficient cook, but I get the idea that this is quite different.

EDIT: One more thing... Should distilled water or Everclear be part of my "DIY Arsenal"? Which one is the preferred? I understand they perform the same basic function.

Thank you all in advance!

Last edited:

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Okay, 47 views and no one has anything to say yet. I will tell you my first couple recipes, and see if my amounts sound reasonable...

First I did a Pina Colada. It is a single flavor juice. I made a 5mL batch. The goal was 60VG/40PG, with the flavoring accounting for 30%(since the flavoring is PG based).

3mL VG
.5mL PG
1.5mL TFA Pina Colada

Second, and I will probably be scolded for this... I know, I know, stick with single flavors till you get the hang of it. I couldn't help myself. I mixed a couple multi-flavor RY4's. The first batch was 5mL at 60VG/40PG at 10% flavoring as follows:

3mL VG
1.5mL PG
0.1mL Tobacco Absolute
0.2mL Caramel Candy
0.2mL Vanilla Cupcake

The second batch was the same, but with flavoring at 20%, so:
3mL VG
1mL PG
0.2mL Tobacco Absolute
0.4mL Caramel Candy
0.4mL Vanilla Cupcake

I went ahead and tasted after mixing, and none of them tasted horrible, so they are sitting up steeping now. Sooo, anything in my proportions or flavor choices that stands out as a crash and burn? Also as per the first post, any info is helpful.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Tobacco Absolute
Caramel Candy
Vanilla Cupcake
that sound like a winner to me I like TPA Caramel Candy

LOL I know right? I still have to learn what companies have the best of each flavor I like, but this mix just sounds yummy. I just came up with it, since RY4 is supposed to be a tobacco, caramel, vanilla mix. I went light on the Tobacco Absolute cuz I read it is strong and should only be used at like 1-3%...

Measure twice, pour once haha:p

But really, DIY is nothing to be scared of. After you mix a few bottles it'll be a piece of cake. You can also use an e-juice calculator, just google it :)

I used an ejuice calculator to come up with those measurements, and used a 1mL syringe to do the work, so I know they are accurate.

EDIT: After one day of steeping, I learned something about the flavorings I used in my RY4 mixes. Vanilla is apparently a powerful flavoring. So far, the Vanilla Cupcake is at the forefront. I can make out some undertones of caramel and tobacco, but they are weak. However, it is actually pretty yummy... RY4 where Vanilla is the primary flavor? Or something else...

Last edited:

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Normally I would edit my previous post, but I feel like this is important enough to bump up. Shortly after trying this mix:

3mL VG
1mL PG
0.2mL Tobacco Absolute
0.4mL Caramel Candy
0.4mL Vanilla Cupcake

I started getting dizzy, a little nauseas, and just felt really weird in general. Now bear in mind, this was just a first mix to get the flavor where I want it, so there is no nicotine base in it at all. Are any of those ingredients known to have bad effects for some people? I have used a 60VG/40PG blend forever so it can't be the VG or PG can it?

Jim Bob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2011
Kentucky
I'm doubting it's from vaping no nicotine joose, might be coming down with something, are you drinking a bunch of water (much more than when not vaping

Normally I would edit my previous post, but I feel like this is important enough to bump up. Shortly after trying this mix:

3mL VG
1mL PG
0.2mL Tobacco Absolute
0.4mL Caramel Candy
0.4mL Vanilla Cupcake

I started getting dizzy, a little nauseas, and just felt really weird in general. Now bear in mind, this was just a first mix to get the flavor where I want it, so there is no nicotine base in it at all. Are any of those ingredients known to have bad effects for some people? I have used a 60VG/40PG blend forever so it can't be the VG or PG can it?

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I'm doubting it's from vaping no nicotine joose, might be coming down with something, are you drinking a bunch of water (much more than when not vaping

Yea I drink plenty. I have been vaping for several months. This is just my first venture into DIY juice. It was a very weird situation indeed. I have tried it a few more times since then and haven't gotten that feeling again... Perhaps the combination of vaping that stuff, plus something else in my sinuses... I work in an area with alot of welding and "burn tables" where they use a torch to cut sheets of thick metal... Obviously that puts alot of gross stuff in the air. I tried my homemade juice literally right after getting home from work...

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I will definitely keep an eye on it. On that note I have another question! I tend to vape 24mg 60%VG/40%PG e-liquid. Well when I went to Wizard Labs I ordered the Nicotine base in 36mg 50/50, and then ordered some VG, PG, and flavorings...

After playing with the ejuice calculator for a while though, I am noticing that it will be difficult if not impossible to get 24mg 60%VG/40%PG with what I ordered. SOOOO, what do most people get? I was thinking about it, and if I ordered the Nic base in 100%VG, then get extra VG and PG, that should allow me to always be able to get my 60/40 right? Also, what mg Nic base should I be getting? by my math I should probably be getting the 48mg right?

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
Well, it appears that I DID learn something useful out of my DIY venture... Unflavored NIC is pretty good! I cut my 50/50 36mg NIC base down to 24mg and vaped it. I must say it is yummy. Im starting to think... maybe just buy the unflavored NIC, and keep some ethyl maltol and Koolada around for when I want something sweeter, or cooler(like when Im having a fruity mix drink).

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
I am new to diy as well and I love mixing & tasting! I too am trying to create an ry4 using various tobacco flavors, caramel & vanilla. My favorite so far was the mix that I added a drop of almond flavor in..that really kicked up the flavor & sweetness!

Funny you say that. Me and the hubby yesterday were talking about how our DIY needed a nutty flavor, and almond was the flavor we settled on.

desirexe

Verified Member
Jun 7, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Funny you say that. Me and the hubby yesterday were talking about how our DIY needed a nutty flavor, and almond was the flavor we settled on.

That's cool! I tried vaping the almond flavor alone and that was quite gross..but it sure mixes wonderfully with tobacco flavors! I see that there is also a toasted almond flavor..I definitely need to pick that up! I'm hoping to find some people to maybe swap flavors with in the classifieds...I dont think I'd still be vaping if it weren't for diy..I just love it so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread