Brand New to Vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly42

Oct 20, 2018
Hi,

I just started vaping three days ago on a Smok V8 Big Baby Beast. Yesterday I began to feel a bit 'off'...somewhat anxious and nervous. I'm not sure what to do about this because I don't know if it's from getting too much nicotine, or not enough, (withdrawal symptoms). I guess it could also be from the tar/chemicals leaving my body.

I'm using 3mg/ml liquid and only take 3-4 medium draws about 4x/day. I haven't been craving cigarettes. I used to smoke around 5 Pall Mall lights per day, but only half at a time.

I know there are a lot of variables, but I figure that since there is approximately 1mg nicotine per cigarette, and my tank holds 5ml at 3mg/ml, that's about 15 cigs. So if the tank lasts me about three days, then the nicotine I'm getting should be close to what I was smoking.

I hope all of this makes some kind of sense. I just wish I knew exactly why I'm feeling the way I do. I don't want to stop vaping...I know I can quit the cigs. if I continue.

So, any opinions? Not enough, or too much nicotine?

Thanks so much for any responses!!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hi,

I just started vaping three days ago on a Smok V8 Big Baby Beast. Yesterday I began to feel a bit 'off'...somewhat anxious and nervous. I'm not sure what to do about this because I don't know if it's from getting too much nicotine, or not enough, (withdrawal symptoms). I guess it could also be from the tar/chemicals leaving my body.

I'm using 3mg/ml liquid and only take 3-4 medium draws about 4x/day. I haven't been craving cigarettes. I used to smoke around 5 Pall Mall lights per day, but only half at a time.

I know there are a lot of variables, but I figure that since there is approximately 1mg nicotine per cigarette, and my tank holds 5ml at 3mg/ml, that's about 15 cigs. So if the tank lasts me about three days, then the nicotine I'm getting should be close to what I was smoking.

I hope all of this makes some kind of sense. I just wish I knew exactly why I'm feeling the way I do. I don't want to stop vaping...I know I can quit the cigs. if I continue.

Well, it could be either too much nic or not enough. If you are not having any cravings then maybe its just a bit too much for you. Be sure to eat and drink plenty of liquids as vaping tends to dry you out. It also will aid in removing any tar and chemicals from smoking.

Welcome to ecf. Glad you are here.

:)

Kelly42

Oct 20, 2018
Well, it could be either too much nic or not enough. If you are not having any cravings then maybe its just a bit too much for you. Be sure to eat and drink plenty of liquids as vaping tends to dry you out. It also will aid in removing any tar and chemicals from smoking.

Welcome to ecf. Glad you are here.

:)

Wow, that was a quick reply, thanks!

Yeah, it's super frustrating not knowing which is the cause for these symptoms.

Thanks for the welcome.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Considering how light a smoker you are I suspect too much nicotine before too little. I more strongly suspect detoxification effects though. The conventional wisdom with moving from cigarettes to vaping is to not stunt the nicotine for att least the first few months

Welcome to the fourm btw :)

Kelly42

Oct 20, 2018
Considering how light a smoker you are I suspect too much nicotine before too little. I more strongly suspect detoxification effects though. The conventional wisdom with moving from cigarettes to vaping is to not stunt the nicotine for att least the first few months

Welcome to the fourm btw :)

Thanks Bomb, I tend to agree with you about the detoxification since it seems unlikely that I was getting more nicotine from the vaping - but who knows. I was only having a few puffs about 3 times a day. It's so hard to tell what it could be though...I wish there was an exact way to compare the nicotine intake between cigarette smoking and vaping.

Reactions: Diver9543

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Thanks Bomb, I tend to agree with you about the detoxification since it seems unlikely that I was getting more nicotine from the vaping - but who knows. I was only having a few puffs about 3 times a day. It's so hard to tell what it could be though...I wish there was an exact way to compare the nicotine intake between cigarette smoking and vaping.
The good news is they generally only last 3-4 months though they can go on longer. It can be a weird and wild ride. Different things happen to different people. Wouldn’t hurt to keep in touch with your doctor though just to make sure any minor weirdness is just that

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
The good news is they generally only last 3-4 months though they can go on longer. It can be a weird and wild ride. Different things happen to different people. Wouldn’t hurt to keep in touch with your doctor though just to make sure any minor weirdness is just that
I don't remember it lasting that long bomb, but I did/do drink quite a bit of liquid all the time too. And it really does help in getting those nasty toxins out of the body quickly.

• Agree

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Welcome to the community.
You absorb nic much more slowly with vaping than with smoking. I would lean towards detox and more fluids does help. Might try taking a few hits when you are feeling anxious; if you feel better after a few vapes you might try vaping more often or raise the nic a touch. If the feelings worsen maybe get some 0mg to dilute the 3mg or try a mtl tank.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hi,

I know that direct to vaping (DTL) is popular these days, but mouth to lung (MTL) is the way we smoked. You might want to try an MTL atty to recreate the act of smoking cigarettes. It's more like smoking than breathing through a tube like you do in DTL mode.

There's also a certain amount of satisfaction to be had with MTL's ability to satisfy the need to smoke since it's a similar method. In MTL vaping mode most people start at 18mg juice and slowly work their way down over a year's time.

FWIW, lots of people who start with DTL do that with 6mg and then drop to 3mg once they have control over the urge to smoke. The amount of nic you absorb has a lot to do with the nic level of the juice and how you vape it.

I agree with others that part of your issue is tied to quitting smoking. That will pass faster than you expect.

You might want to try an SXK Doggy Style atty to try out mouth to lung vaping. Flavor and vapor are really good and it's easy to coil and maintain.

• Agree
Reactions: gerrymi

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
First off, hello and welcome to ECF. It is good to hear you are switching to vaping and doing away with the cigs. I have to agree with others that it could be a mixture of too much nic and detoxing. Another thing you might try is loading your backup e-cig gear with 0 nic e-juice. You do have a backup system, don't you? One thing that helped me when I was starting out was I used an MTL (Mouth to Lung) e-cig vice a DTL (Direct to Lung) e-cig. Just my :2c:. Good luck and keep asking questions and you will soon be answering others questions.

Kelly42

Oct 20, 2018
Welcome to the community.
You absorb nic much more slowly with vaping than with smoking. I would lean towards detox and more fluids does help. Might try taking a few hits when you are feeling anxious; if you feel better after a few vapes you might try vaping more often or raise the nic a touch. If the feelings worsen maybe get some 0mg to dilute the 3mg or try a mtl tank.

Very good advice, I will try this.

Thanks.

Reactions: Letitia

Kelly42

Oct 20, 2018

Kelly42

Oct 20, 2018
Track the symptoms. If they occur 30 minutes or so after vaping, it's too much nicotine.

When I went thru this 6 years ago, my anxiety occurred after morning vaping and afternoon vaping which also corresponded to large caffeine intake. Had to cut back on both nicotine and caffeine.

Thanks, good advice and will do.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Anxious or nervous sounds like too much nicotine. But given the small amount you are vaping, that is not likely a you are probably ingesting less nicotine than when you smoked. Could just be withdrawal from the cigarettes or the smoking ritual itself. Symptoms last for 2 or 3 weeks on withdrawal usually.

Welcome and congratulations on the switch over.

Kelly42

Oct 20, 2018
Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

Dave and Diver - the guy at the vape shop who sold me the Smok V8 said I could do either MTL or ML depending on how much I open the vent. I started coughing when I inhaled to my mouth with the vent almost closed, so I switched to MTL with the vent open more and that seems to work better.

Not sure if what he told me is correct though...

ETA: Because I was getting a little worried, I switched back to the cigs. yesterday morning and have been feeling a little better. This still doesn't really help me figure out what the problem was since there are different factors involved. I will definitely take the advice of you guys with trying different things as I won't give up on the vaping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread