• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Brand new with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WannaBFree

Sep 7, 2013
Ontario
I'm completely new to this and there's so much information I'm hoping for a simple answer or two before I go crosseyed :p

I've been smoking about 20 yrs, generally what used to be called "light" cigarrettes, and usually brands like duMaurier. What I'm looking for is a starter pack that will give me the bare necessities of what I need to get started ( not interested in pretty carry cases for example ). I'm hoping to find something that will feel as close to "smoking" as possible, ( sorry if I'm practicing poor ecig etiquette ), and that will be as simple as possible. I do have the list of canadian nic vendors, I just need someone to point me to the right place to start out for a reliable, satisfying, inexpensive kit. PM's are fine too

Thanks in advance!

Ramsay Bolton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2013
Beyond the Grave
This kit is a good starting point.

https://www.canvape.com/product-p/808sk.htm

Cigarette sized 180mah batteries only last an hour or so of constant use, so I highly recommend
having two on hand (Use one while the other charges).

FYI: You'll need e-juice to fill the carts. Don't buy the cheap stuff and skimp (You'll regret it as I did!).

Choose 12mg nic content ala duMaurier Lights.

I switch between Menthol and a Fruit flavor (Menthol hinders my urge to smoke the real thing, but it gets boring after a while!).

I'm using the same set-up, except I bought the components individually. Smoked my last duMaurier Distinct
three weeks ago.

Last edited:

SASmith

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2013
Abbotsford, B.C. Canada
I would suggest something like an ego twist and clearomizers. I tried the smaller cigalikes a couple of years ago and it just didn't produce the vapor that I needed. You will want 2 batteries, one to charge while your using the other and at least 2 or 3 clearomizers (juice delivery systems). Canvape is a very reliable vendor. I purchased this kit from them and while it isn't the cheapest, I really didn't need to purchase anything else and if you bought everything separately it would cost a lot more.

https://www.canvape.com/product-p/ultwistkit.htm

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
I agree with the above comments but would like to add that if you are in an area with a store front shop, it would be a good idea to see if you can visit it. Many such stores could give you a little instruction on how to use you new equipment if they are not too busy.
Where in Ontario do you live? There are several locations in the GTA area.

BTW, the eGo type devices are an excellent choice. I'm 16 months into vaping and still use my eGos, 10 of them, more then half the time. I have bunch of larger and far more expensive devices as well but the eGos are perfect all around devices when I leave the house.

Last edited:

fourtytwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for your answers everyone you've been so helpful, and thanks Heavyrocker! That one looks perfect for me and right in my price range, the more expensive kits are a bit too much a commitment for me yet.

If you are in the GTA area, you can order on the website and pick up at one of the five fleamarket locations on a Saturday or Sunday. If they are not too busy, they can give you a little run down on how to use it.

Concat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Ego + EVOD BCC + 18 mg/mL juice

I would even get one 24 mg/mL bottle. When making the switch I find you need a decent strength, even the light cig smokers do. It might be a lot of throat hit for a noob... but you'll feel the nicotine which is paramount.

Ego doesn't need to be brand name, imo. In fact, I find the JoyeTech Egos to have a delicate switch. They seem to be easily broken just by dropping the Ego. The innards slide down or something. I haven't had the same issue with the offbrands. Plus they are higher voltage, albeit unregulated.

rems

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Ontario
Went and picked up my starter kit and such today finally... I was wondering how many of you replace normal cigarettes with these entirely? As in not smoking a smoke ever again

From my very first vape, I was done with cigs. I didn't look back once. I feel lucky in the way that I enjoyed the first juice I tried. It was a crem de methe of some sort. I also started with a LavaTube and so the power of the device was of no concern. I guess you could say that my research paid off.
I have a buddy that went from 2 packs a day to 4 smokes a day. Awesome improvement of course. Point is that even if vaping doesn't replace the whole habit, it is a start and also an improvement. He likes the 510 kits such as "Redds".

bdpf

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 9, 2013
Toronto
As my sig shows, I only started vaping 11 days ago which was a Thursday. Everytime I felt like having a smoke, I just went vaping. I didn't really feel the "urge" of grabbing a cigarette but I have to admit that the first weekend I felt like having one a couple of time but I just didn't give in and it went away.
This past weekend I decided to just have 1 cigarette just to see how it feels. To my surprise, it didn't feel really good, pretty crappy actually LOL! I finished it but I was in no way thinking: "WOW, a cigarette finally"
All I can say is that after trying this, I can pretty much say that I'm done with the cigarettes.

One key to success is IMO to get the liquid with a decent amount of nicotine so you don't feel the urge of having a cigarette. I smoked Marlboro light and DuMaurier light for 16 years. Starting with 12mg nic did it for me. One of my co-workers started e-cig the same day and thought he would drop the cigarettes and the nicotine all at the same time. He ordered 6mg and 0mg liquids and 11 days later he's still smoking cigarettes, much less but still smoking.
So order the juice with nicotine first, give it some time, resist the couple of temptations that you'll have for at list a week and you'll be surprised. Later on, when you'll get used to the ecig and want to drop the nic as well, you can do it progressively.

Last edited:

WannaBFree

Sep 7, 2013
Ontario
Yes I got the 12 mg e-liquid also. I had 9 cigs left in the pack when I picked up my starter kit and I smoked about 1 - 2 of those every day till they were gone. I've been smoke free for 4 days now and its not too bad at all. I find that it just feels weird to me more than anything. I have always smoked outside, which cut down on the amount of smoking considerably. At first I was vaping inside and found I was pretty much constantly with the thing in my mouth, which is counter to what I want which is to eventually quit. So now I vape outside and its working much better.

I need to look up lava tubes and all that stuff now. I'm using the ego 650 starter kit thing, the batteries seem to last FOREVER, more than a whole day for me, the only problem that I seem to have is when I first refill a tank I get so much raw eliquid for the first little while before it turns to all vapor.

RubyRuby

ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2013
British Columbia, Canada
I smoked a package of stinkies (love that name) over the first 10 days of vaping - rather than a pack a day. Did NOT enjoy the last few! I had no urge to buy anymore, and it has been more than two weeks since I finished those. Vaping is just, I don't know, BETTER!
But - I was much more comfortable after I started refilling my cartos with a higher nic level than I was when I just had the 1.2's that came with my colibri kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread