breaking news,child dead after ingesting nicotine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
Indiana
This was going to happen, it was just a matter of time.

If this story is true, it's sad and I'm sorry for that families loss. That child should not have had access to that nicotine though, period. This is a facet to vaping that needs to be taken seriously, we do handle products that can be dangerous and carelessness with these products is not an option. These 100mg/ml bottles of nic that we all hoard need to be locked up tight if there are children in the house, especially toddlers.

The focus of course will be on the dangers of vaping and not the dangers of the many household products that are just as, if not more, dangerous.

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
Yes, it is sad.

About 5 years ago, I saw a small child carrying a Windex bottle around in the house. It was even commented on that she is learning to clean like Mommy.

Learning to keep such things in secured cabinets or up high is a parental responsibility. Sure, nothing is perfect but learning to "see" danger and reacting is critical.

My kids are grown, but we have a cat that opens cabinets and drawers. We got to the point that we secure them. Pretty cheap to do.

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
This is absolutely tragic and I feel desperately for the parents, especially having a 1-year old myself.

Reading between the lines, and assuming the commenter Casey is being truthful in the comments to this article, it appears it may have been a babysitter vaping: http://wnyt.com/article/stories/s3645210.shtml

This makes it unlikely the liquid was concentrated, but not impossible. If this is confirmed, we need to check some assumptions that have been made as to the toxicity of e-liquid for young children.

In any case, we should all strongly encourage manufacturers to use childproof bottles and have warnings on the labels.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
This will bring the fearmongerers out in force:

Capital District Tobacco-Free Coalition Director Judy Rightmyer said there is currently no regulation of e-cigarettes and the supplies that are sold with them.

“Oftentimes, they are made in foreign countries and we have no idea what is them,” she said. “Some of them contain antifreeze. That chemical is then vaporized and ingested by someone, which could be extremely damaging to lung tissue.”

Rightmyer said young people may feel it is safer to use e-cigarettes instead of burning tobacco leaves, but that may not be the case.

“You really have no idea what you could be inhaling,” she said. “The liquid nicotine is so strong that it only takes a quarter of a teaspoon to kill an infant.”

http:// www.dailygazette.com/news /2014/dec/10/liquid-nicotine-kills-fort-plain-toddler/

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
I know very little about children, not having any that I know of; can a 1 year old even lift a bottle, take off a cap- even if not childproof, and drink it? I think there is more to the story...

The child is described as a "toddler" in most of the news stories, but as a one year old in at least one. A toddler can be up to 3 years old and at that age should easily be capable of unscrewing a cap if not on too tight. But I seriously doubt that a one year old would have the fine motor skills to do it. So I agree there's something not quite right about this story.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norrin

Aug 29, 2014
Shetland
Well any parent who lets a 1 year old get their hands on nicotine should be locked up, nicotine is only dangerous to the very young as you can't swallow enough when your older without vomiting. So yes it should be locked away from the very young the same as bleach and the 100 other household chemicals that can potentially kill anyone not just the very young.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I know very little about children, not having any that I know of; can a 1 year old even lift a bottle, take off a cap- even if not childproof, and drink it? I think there is more to the story...

The child is described as a "toddler" in most of the news stories, but as a one year old in at least one. A toddler can be up to 3 years old and at that age should easily be capable of unscrewing a cap if not on too tight. But I seriously doubt that a one year old would have the fine motor skills to do it. So I agree there's something not quite right about this story.

Babies cry and nicotine has been known to relax people...

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

most sources are citing a one year old child.
the question is 12 months old or 23 months old.
there's quite a difference in agility and mobility
between the two.
regards
mike

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
I feel sad any time a child injests and dies or gets seriously harmed from household, personal, animal health care, outdoors and cleaning items, otc meds, prescribed meds, illegal substances, many items kiddos shouldn't be playing with or eating/drinking/mouthing or have access to. This is a sad story, but any accidental ingestion one's are:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread