EU Breaking News: ECITA - Toxicology report

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakindahouse

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Gloucester
During the work we have been doing in relation to the impending mess that is the TPD, we commissioned some work on toxicological analysis. After a long exchange with the toxicologists, it was decided that one of the first pieces of work we should undertake would be to look at the classification of nicotine under the Classification, Labelling and Packaging (CLP) of substances and mixtures. (This is alongside a far wider stream of toxicology research we are engaging in.) We have long questioned the toxicity of nicotine and now we have some conclusive evidence that eliquid (with concentrations of 25mg/ml and under) are not harmful enough to be classified at all under this regulation, and eliquids between 25mg/ml to 50mg/ml are classified under category 4 (the lowest category) of the CLP regulations.

Read the blog and the press release for the full details....

So what does this mean??

Well quite a bit. It means that finally we have solid evidence of what we knew all along: eliquid is not the deadly poison that some elements of Public Health and Tobacco Control would have us believe. We all know this, but now we can say it with confidence.
Now I know that you are all slightly disappointed that our magic hasn’t yet extended to burning the TPD (YET!) but it makes Article 20 seem even more ridiculous and disproportionate than it did before. I mean, really??? Banning non-toxic products? Whatever next? Banning fizzy drinks?
smiley17.gif
(They can prise my Cola from my cola dead hands...
smiley17.gif
)

On a serious note, off the back of this news – and the fact that there is a shiny new EU parliament – now is a very good time to get those pens, keyboards and styli out again and get writing to your new MEP’s, telling them that Article 20 needs revisiting – or better still, taking out of the TPD altogether. (They DO have this option. Laws are amended all the time, after they’ve gone onto the books. It just needs the political will – so let’s show them that they need to develop that will!)

Our oft-repeated call for bespoke regulations is, without a shadow of a doubt, demonstrably necessary in relation to these products. We also need to communicate with our elected representatives that the community of consumers (the real experts in this field, according to Dr Hayden McRobbie) are here and willing to work with them – if they will only open channels of communication!

Last edited:

freakindahouse

ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2010
Gloucester

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
good news. i always suspected nicotine was not as toxic as some would have us believe. i then remembered why. a long time ago there was a show on natural gardening. i forgot the name but, it was one of the PBS type shows. on one show they demonstrated how to make your own insecticide. take about 2 gallons of water and add a plug of chewing tobacco.(standard size roughly 3'x2'x1/2') place it in the water and let it steep over night. strain out the tobacco and using a standard spray bottle spray your plants. wa-la,natural insecticide. although the standard don't get any on you disclaimers where used it was stated that you would have to get a lot on you,just be cautious anyway. apparently its deadly to insects but,we are not insects,we're mammals. different metabolisms. its the same with herbicides. certain herbicides kill certain plants. some will do the job on many different species of plants. all are relatively safe to use when following the instructions. they are deadly to plants because plants are plants,not mammals or insects. of course a high enough dose would be harmful but,we are not exposed to that level with normal use.
:2c:
regards
mike

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
good news. i always suspected nicotine was not as toxic as some would have us believe. i then remembered why. a long time ago there was a show on natural gardening. i forgot the name but, it was one of the PBS type shows. on one show they demonstrated how to make your own insecticide. take about 2 gallons of water and add a plug of chewing tobacco.(standard size roughly 3'x2'x1/2') place it in the water and let it steep over night. strain out the tobacco and using a standard spray bottle spray your plants. wa-la,natural insecticide. although the standard don't get any on you disclaimers where used it was stated that you would have to get a lot on you,just be cautious anyway. apparently its deadly to insects but,we are not insects,we're mammals. different metabolisms. its the same with herbicides. certain herbicides kill certain plants. some will do the job on many different species of plants. all are relatively safe to use when following the instructions. they are deadly to plants because plants are plants,not mammals or insects. of course a high enough dose would be harmful but,we are not exposed to that level with normal use.
:2c:
regards
mike

Please don't use this though, for the simple reason it kills honeybees, and they're scarce enough already. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread