BREAKING: Trump administration plans to ban sale of flavored e-cigarette products

Status
Not open for further replies.

baddog99

Mar 12, 2012
Denver
And so it begins......

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration said Wednesday it plans to ban the sale of non-tobacco-flavored electronic cigarettes amid a vaping crisis.

“The Trump Administration is making it clear that we intend to clear the market of flavored e-cigarettes to reverse the deeply concerning epidemic of youth e-cigarette use that is impacting children, families, schools and communities,” Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said in a statement. “We will not stand idly by as these products become an on-ramp to combustible cigarettes or nicotine addiction for a generation of youth.”

Michigan became the first state to prohibit sales of most flavored e-cigarettes last week in a bold move to curb the underage vaping epidemic. The ban, which will take effect in a few weeks, will cover both online and in-store sales of all e-cigarette flavors except tobacco.

Trump administration plans to ban sale of flavored electronic cigarettes

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
double SNARK!

All I see here is :
President supports the death monopoly cigarette industry by removing competition.

This afternoon president Camacho stated, "It's much better to have almost 500000 people die per year than a few hundred sick children and a handful of deaths at the hands of chinese vape devices."
When asked by a London Times reporter why he endorsed such a drastic action, the president replied "I've already said this is an epidemic"" Don't you press folks understand the word "epidemic"? He quipped.
"The only people who die from cigarettes" continued president Camacho," are old people burdening our health care system."
" Their parents are already dead so they don't vote nor contribute to "making America Atlantic city again".

"This is a Win-Win for longstanding American corporations and investors alike. "

When asked if this move will force millions of vapers of chinese products back to smoking cigarettes, the president added "We have to protect the children being victimized by these fatal chinese vape products." "Remember I said the word Epidemic? This is the most serious problem facing America today!"
This reporter notes that after the last statement, president Camacho grinned broadly and mumbled something about China kissing his ....

Cheers
I
Apologies to Terry Crews.

Last edited:

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
It's funny how the people who complain the loudest about government overreach, when tasked with running the government, overreach.

It is the nature of those who seek power. Everything will work out better when they do it, their intentions are pure. I place no trust in anyone who seeks to govern me. As Lord Acton said, "Power corrupts..." and he could have stopped right there.

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
How many people have been killed from vaping? 0
How many people have been killed from smoking? 0
How many people have been killed from alcohol? 0
How many people have been killed from driving? 0
How many people have been killed from weapons? 0
And the list goes on and on..................

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
So, who decides what is or is not a 'tobacco flavor"? Is RY4 tobacco flavor? How about vanilla or caramel tobacco? All the liquids I buy these days are considered "tobacco" flavors by the mfg but I never smoked a cigarette or cigar that tasted like any of them.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
He's in it (like everything he does) because it's the flavor of the month, no pun intended. If he had one original thought in his head, his hair would get up and walk off on it's own.

The real problem is all these politicians are being led by nose by the CDC, Faceless Bureaucrats and so called Health Experts. They must be following Joe Biden's statement "We Prefer Truth Over Facts Every Time" but it depends on whose truth.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Phil and Dimitri are having a live podcast now. They're saying our only hope is to spend millions of dollars for PR programs to get the facts out to the public in order to save the vaping industry in the US, and it would have to be done now. Time to get China manufacturers to contribute big $ to be able to keep the US as customers. Main message must be that the government is lying to everyone. The vape industry can not sustain itself without flavors. Lost jobs and lost businesses. Not to mention the lives lost from vapers becoming smokers again.

Last edited:

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
Trump himself is surprisingly nuanced in this video. It's the bureaucrat that is most aggressive. His wording suggests he has no expertise on the subject.

Good regulation is not banning or allowing. It's setting parameters. The nuances count when you want to steer human behaviour.

So several weeks, more than a couple, likely less than a month plus a one month delayed effectiveness evens out to a two month grace period.

A date of 05/2020 for submitting an application to the FDA. Is that a realistic time frame for the smaller businesses to get approval for their recipes?

Confusingly, the bureaucrat finishes the bite by implying there's any sort of chance these 'attractive flavours' could see their application approved .

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
So who didn't see this coming? It was inevitable that this would happen sooner than later. The opposition is too strong with too much financial support to stop. Couple this with the public opinion of vaping due to negative and deceitful PR over the last 5 years. While the vaping community is weak, poor, and ineffectual. We have no political power to stop this and we don't have the money to buy our way out of this with high powered lobbyists and political figures. There are a few politicians that are sympathetic to our cause, but they are very few and not powerful. Vapers don't have the clout and can't afford the clout to battle this.

That doesn't mean this will happen quickly and I don't think it will, but the path is now being set for the wheels of government to start grinding in that direction and it's a juggernaut that I don't think we can stop. All the petitions in the world will have no effect... there just aren't enough vapers to make anyone in power take notice. PAbsurdo and Dimitri can live stream there wonderful visions of multi-million dollar PR campaigns, but that is a reality that won't happen because there aren't multi-millions to spend and even if they somehow coughed up the money it is still a losing battle. So lets say somehow the money was raised by vape device manufacturers or juice makers or from somewhere in the vaping community and we managed to stop this immediate threat. It would just happen again in 6 months, and this is after we blew whatever wad we had on the first campaign. Good luck raising more millions for round 2. We've seen this often enough in state battles. It doesn't stop, it just gets deferred for a time before it raises it's ugly head again. The government has unlimited funds (our tax dollars) to throw at this for as long as they want and we don't.

Oh, and what happens to the money juice makers have paid for their PMTAs? Will this be refunded to them? That should be interesting I guess.

Sorry for the realistic view of this situation, being a serious vaper I wish it were different, but it's not and it won't be. But at least you can spend all your time in the future in the cannabis topics here.

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
There are juice manufacturers pumping out a million bottles/month that haven't donated a dollar to advocacy. This is time for the industry to correct public perception or die. Vaping is going to be in everyone's face for the next few weeks and now it's time for manufacturers to pony up for a PR firm or cash out.

We're consumers. Join CASAA it's free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread