Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
EgoBoostersolo.jpg

A few weeks ago, I was contacted by Brian Matthews of Artisan Vaping in Canada about beta testing a hush-hush vaping device. After signing a confidentiality agreement, I was told that it was to be called the “Ego Booster” and what that meant.

Then – because of a postal worker strike north of the border – my test unit sat in a Canadian post office for an interminable time. Eventually, Brian gave up on that and UPS’d another unit to me. [And that took its own sweet time getting here: Vancouver-Seattle-Louisville-Nashville-Atlanta-Deerfield Beach-my home.]

I didn’t receive it until a few days prior to its announcement this past weekend. Fortunately, other beta testers had already identified the couple minor bugs that I found (and which have been corrected in the final product now being sold). I also now have the final (flawless) version, upon which this review is based.

So, I didn’t pay for it … but not for the purpose this review, which Brian never requested. I’m reviewing it simply because I’m bursting with enthusiasm about it.

The Ego Booster is now available for purchase from Canadian supplier, Happy Vaper. [I guess Canadians have to stick together, eh?;-)] Fortunately, Happy Jack does sell to Yanks like me and other non-Canadians.

[NOTE: All photos of the Ego Booster used in this review are courtesy of Artisan Vaping or Happy Vaper. Somehow I don’t think they’ll mind.]

What Is It?

othertypesofegoboosters.jpg

No, not those ego boosters … or even this one…

risqueegobooster.jpg

[This photo and the preceding composite are not from Artisan Vaping or Happy Vaper.:D]

…but this Ego Booster:

WhatAmI.jpg

Actually, Happy Jack ran a contest on ECF last week about the photo immediately above (without the name, “Ego Booster”), asking pretty much that question: What Am I? Of the over 300 guesses, most were way off, although a few people did guess its function.

Don’t look to me to explain the internal electronics of how it does what it does. [Artisan Vaping’s FAQ might help with that.] I can tell you what it does: the Ego Booster attaches seamlessly to the Joye eGo (any mAh and including the eGo-T and Passthrough) and boosts its voltage from the eGo’s native 3.2V up to as high as 4.7V (or anywhere in between) – thereby turning the eGo into the world’s first variable voltage fat batt! Wow!
assemblingtheeGo-Booster.jpg
You simply screw it onto the eGo as if it were an atomizer and then screw your atomizer or cartomizer and eGo cone onto the Ego Booster (as if it were the eGo battery). Fully assembled, the eGo/Booster unit (when using the 650 mAh battery) is roughly penstyle length.

assembledeGo-Booster.jpg

As you can see from the two preceding photos, the Ego Booster is exactly the same diameter and has the same rubberized coating and stainless steel fittings and trim as the black eGo. It is 49mm long, but adds only 43mm (about 1½ inches) to the overall length of the device, just a bit longer than the 1000 mAh eGo/Tornado.

Operating the Ego Booster is simplicity itself: Turn the dial counterclockwise to increase the voltage; clockwise to decrease it. So the direction is counter-intuitive, but no big deal to adapt to. And the dial turns smoothly.

turnthedialcounterclockwise.jpg

According to Brian’s partner, John Pinkney, “At the midpoint of the adjustment (where the Artisan Vaping logo on the knob is aligned with the axis of the eGo) the output is 4.0 +/-.1 volts.” When turned all the way clockwise, it is ~3.3V … and fully counterclockwise, ~4.7V. So, the unit in the photo above is set at about 4.2V.

adjustingthevoltage.jpg

[“Pot stop” (whatever that means) is not to be confused with the pit stop shown in an earlier photo.]

Other than adjusting the voltage, you operate your modified eGo as always – by pushing the button on the eGo portion … not by trying to push the Booster’s dial. [Do as I say, not as I tried to do.:oops:]​

pushtheeGobuttonnottheBoosterdial.jpg

Happy Vaper is the only supply for the Ego Booster. The current price is CAD$60 ($75 minus $15 “instant rebate”).

What It Works With … and Does Not

atomizersthatworkwiththeBooster.jpg

Based on Artisan Vaping claims and confirmed by my experience, the Ego Booster works (and works well) with any atomizer and cartomizer that can be used with the eGo – even those requiring an adapter. I have used it successfully with eGo-T tank attys, various 510 atomizers and cartomizers (including the Dual Coil), 901 atomizers, Echo and Echo-e cartomizers, Kr8 cartos, 801 cartos, and with my beloved 801 atomizer. The atomizer/cone fittings are identical to the eGo’s, so eGo-specific attys and cartos – and the eGo cone – fit seamlessly.

cartomizersthatworkwiththeBooster.jpg

It even works with LR attys and cartos, although there may be little to be gained by it … except that I have found it effective (at the lowest setting) in cutting back the intensity of LR cartos that were hitting too hard for me on the unmodified eGo. Also, I have enjoyed exploring the capabilities of the amazing Smok Tech Dual Coil cartomizer, which performs so well at many different voltages.

So what batteries does it work with? Well … the Ego Booster is a precisely named device: it connects and works perfectly with all manual Joye eGos (akaHappy eGos,” if you get them from Happy Vaper or “Tornados” from Totally Wicked) – regardless of mAh and including the eGo-T and eGo Passthrough – period!

eGobatteriestheBoosterWILLworkwith-1.jpg

It does not work with automatic batteries or with most other fat batts (e.g., the Riva, VGO, and my KGO) even if it fits just fine. I understand that this is because of the superior MOSFET – and 3.2V – of the Joye eGo.

fatbattstheBoosterwillNOTworkwith.jpg

[Thumbs down does not mean that these are bad PVs.]

It also does work with some mods – those that use very high mAh (e.g., 18650) and/or IMR (high-drain) batteries. Of course, they probably will need a 510-to-510 extension adapter to fit.​

modbatteriestheBoosterWILLworkwith.jpg

It does look a bit weird – and big – sitting on an extension adapter on top of my 18650 NoEgo.:laugh: I’m having fun vaping it, however. I’ve never used the GooseNeck; I expect that it is a similar experience.

EgoBoosteronNoEgo.jpg

But this use with mods is a bonus – the Ego Booster was intended from the get-go as an eGo accessory. [Who knows … maybe there will be an Omni version in the future.]

Assessment

Positives

• First and foremost, the glaringly obvious one: When merged with the eGo, this is the world’s first variable voltage fat batt … and all that that enables.
variablevoltagefatbatt.jpg

• I had assumed that boosting the eGo’s voltage would cut its effective mAh significantly. However, John states: “Even when used at its maximum setting (4.7 volts), the Ego Booster should not reduce the time between charges of your battery by more than 25%.” And I have not noticed more frequent charging as I have used the Booster on my 650 mAh batts. [Yes, I do regard this only slight reduction in mAh as a positive.]

• Its quality, fit and finish. I was shocked by the professional look and feel of this thing. It ain’t no homebrew mod. Instead it looks – and performs – as if it came from Joyetech itself. [And it is delivered in a beautiful, sturdy felt-lined case. The hinged cover and general presentation is like that of an engagement ring.]
threeviewsoftheEgoBooster.jpg

• Its ease of use: No screwdriver required … and much less complicated that the ProVari. Also, I find that dial much friendlier than the Infinity’s thumbscrew.

• The integrated look and feel of the assembled eGo/Booster unit.
EgoBoosterattachedtoeGo.jpg

[Ego Booster with eGo-T atomizer and tank.]

• The world’s most slender variable voltage PV. Some of the VV mods (e.g., Little Sister) are shorter, but none are 14mm in diameter.
Negatives

• The price: Although the Ego Booster certainly is worth 60 bucks, that price tag puts it into more of a niche market. I imagine that those considering variable voltage mods will jump on it … and they should. But this is not a “budget” item; I doubt whether it will attract the average vaper, e.g., those vaping $30 Rivas.

• The net size of the assembled eGo/Booster unit. Yes, it is slender, but it is long. As a penstyle man, this is not a turnoff to me … but it may very well be to many vapers. I’ve ordered a 1000 mAh eGo battery to try out with it: that will be really long.
EgoBoosterattachedtoeGo.jpg

[Yes, the same photo used under Positives is used again here under Negatives.]

• As an add-on accessory, the total look and feel of the eGo/Booster is as integrated as it possibly could be, but it is not quite as elegant as a one-piece VV battery would be. Also the position of the switch button is lower than optimum.

My Personal Evaluation

I have come to respect the Ego Booster enormously for all the reasons previously stated. I love it because it has given me back my 801 atomizers, which I had put to the side because they were not hitting hard enough once I became spoiled by LR. Now I can have the unique, rich taste of the 801 and great vapor and TH.

Thank you, Artisan Vaping (for letting me test – and keep – this marvel)…

ArtisanVapingteam.jpg

…and Happy Vaper (for making it available to everyone else)!

HappyVaperlogo.jpg

Last edited:

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Well I'll be damn. Pretty slick ider! I can see where some Ego folks that don't have a VV yet will jump on this as it will allow them to enjoy the VV world at home and simply disconnect it for out on the town. I have to agree that the $$ seems a tad high and puts it into the niche market though.

Excellent review as always bro!

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Thanks folks!

Hope my enthusiasm for this unique device didn't come off as some paid advertisement ... because it was not.

I think you nailed its market (or, at least, a significant portion of it), vapspaz. Some vapers are into minis and superminis ... some into mods ... and a great many into fat batts. VV is not even on the radar of the mini/supermini vapers and mod users more likely would want an integrated VV mod. But that portion of the large fat batt crowd who have been yearning for VV will sit up and take notice. I know I did. [I have a foot in all three worlds, but spend most of my vaping time in fat batt land.]

BTW, vapspaz, if that banner in your signature indicates that you are a ProVape-1 user (as I am), I have confirmed that the Ego Booster works well with it (as long as you are using IMR 14500s). And, if it weren't for the needed 510-to-510 extension adapter, the modified PV wouldn't be to clunky looking. [Even with it, the ProVape/Booster is a bit shorter and more streamlined than that 18650 NoEgo-based device I showed in the review.]

Last edited:

vapspaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
SC
Well that's weird. I haven't been on in a while and didn't notice my sig had changed to the provape1. I actually use the Provari so this little guy isn't needed on that. I changed it back for ya. lol I do use an ego when out and about but I've found a happy place using the ego along with 2.4 CE2's. I've even narrowed all my juice down to only one now as well. It's kinda nice to be back to some form of normalcy. (if that's possible for me. lol)

Just out of curiousity..... Are there any NEW and proven carto's out there now that are better than the XL E2's? I've seen some talk about echo-e carto's and dual coil carto's but I'm not sure those have been run through the test of time. I got tired of getting burned on all the latest and greatest gizmo's that came along. It was costing me a small fortune just to be another beta tester for unproven designs. Anything (carto's) out there I should take a look at?

dmj4

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2011
TN
What about the taste of the juice? Does the same juice have more flavor with the booster, especially on the LR type B tank?
Thanks for the review. I have a pocket full of Ego Batts, all LR attys and I love the tanks, except some of the flavors don't come through with the tank. Other flavors come through better with the tank. I want to capture the flavor of the ones that don't, with the booster. I don't own a VV, so I'm a good candidate to be in the niche...LOL!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
...Just out of curiousity..... Are there any NEW and proven carto's out there now that are better than the XL E2's? I've seen some talk about echo-e carto's and dual coil carto's but I'm not sure those have been run through the test of time. I got tired of getting burned on all the latest and greatest gizmo's that came along. It was costing me a small fortune just to be another beta tester for unproven designs. Anything (carto's) out there I should take a look at?
Well, stay away from the G4's:nah: ... and embrace the Smok Tech Mega Dual Coils:thumb:. Watch pbusardo's outstanding comparative (with the Boge 2.0) video review to learn about the latter. Best price I've seen on them is $9/five-pack from LiteCigUSA.

The Echo-e is not LR. I enjoyed the one cartomizer that I received along with my Echo (Kr8-compatible) review kit. I've been so enamored with the Dual Coils that I didn't spend too much time with it ... and I find that it now tastes funky. Since it costs $5 ea. (from either Cool Vapes or Cropduster901), I don't plan to order more. It is eGo Mega cartomizer shaped and fits the eGo perfectly, but doesn't quite make a connection with the Ego Booster. You would need a 510-to-510 extension for use with the Booster and probably with your ProVari.

Also, since I am an 801 nut (because of its deep, rich taste), I also love the 801 cartomizers: regular resistance on VV and LR on 3.2 or 3.7V. LiteCigUSA's are Boge; Vapor Junction's are EastMall. Both are very good and available in either resistance for $8/five-pack. They are standard sized cartos.

What about the taste of the juice? Does the same juice have more flavor with the booster, especially on the LR type B tank?
Thanks for the review. I have a pocket full of Ego Batts, all LR attys and I love the tanks, except some of the flavors don't come through with the tank. Other flavors come through better with the tank. I want to capture the flavor of the ones that don't, with the booster. I don't own a VV, so I'm a good candidate to be in the niche...LOL!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!
Some liquids blossom at higher watts; some diminish. So an LR atomizer or cartomizer will either enhance or worsen the flavor. The great thing about VV is that you can fine tune not only the TH and vapor, but also the flavor.

I've not used the LR tank atty on the Ego Booster. The regular resistance one does well on it, although I personally prefer cartomizers.

Last edited:

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
The Echo-e is not LR. I enjoyed the one cartomizer that I received along with my Echo (Kr8-compatible) review kit. I've been so enamored with the Dual Coils that I didn't spend too much time with it ... and I find that it now tastes funky. Since it costs $5 ea. (from either Cool Vapes or Cropduster901), I don't plan to order more. It is eGo Mega cartomizer shaped and fits the eGo perfectly, but doesn't quite make a connection with the Ego Booster. You would need a 510-to-510 extension for use with the Booster

Ugh. I did not want to read that. I had just made a purchase of a dozen echo-e cartos for the specific use on the ego booster.

:(

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
I kind of see this booster as a prelim to the next Gen of Ego batts, if they now make a booster that would seem to me that they will soon release a one piece Batt with a VV dial on it.!! ( been asking for this forever now ) I'm not gonna spend $60 for this gadget of course but will wait for the full Batt to come out witch will probably sell for less than the booster it self after the initial craze dies down like everything else falls in price so will this product. I say hold and wait, better is yet to come of this and soon.

There is also an 18650 e-Power unit by NoGo that is out now and a VV switch will be getting released for that shortly, running an 18650 will be much better and have more mAh as well when it comes to VV and most likely be smaller than adding this Booster to a 1000mAh Ego but maybe a tad bigger in circumference. Just my opinions.

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Ugh. I did not want to read that. I had just made a purchase of a dozen echo-e cartos for the specific use on the ego booster.
I'm sorry, Roland.:( Hope my review didn't mislead you. I know I said: "I have used it successfully with...Echo-e cartomizers...." Of course, I also said: "...even those requiring an adapter," but I didn't specify which required an adapter. It does work, but you need to use the 510-to-510 extension adapter. Or maybe if you fiddle with the center post on the Echo-e carto. Doesn't work for me, but I'm not good at that kind of stuff.

There should be an audience for this device. There are about a zillion eGo batts out there and now there is an eGo specific dual coil carto that likes some extra volts. I wonder if this can pass the amps required to drive a dual coil at 4 volts or so.
Sure it can! I'm vaping a Smok Tech Mega Dual Coil on it right now at the 4.2V setting. However, I don't know what you are referring to when you say: "eGo specific dual coil carto." [Emphasis mine.] As far as I know, the Smok Tech dual coils can be used on all different kinds of batteries. For example, Romaniac's Jazz CartoPipe and NoEgo's are optimized for dual coil use.

You can get echo cartos from D and B Gold a lot cheaper 5 for 12.50. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ld-has-echo-e-cartomizers-17.html#post3597552
Great lead! Thanks, TX!

Don have you tried your 801 Attys on the Echo auto? I have been using them on mine some of the time and they work very good.
I prefer my 801 attys on the Ego Booster to increase the watts. I do use LR 801 cartomizers – as well as VOLT Kr8 cartos – on the Echo batteries. [With the Kr8 carto on the Echo batt, I feel like I'm smoking a cigar; that's the way I find myself holding it.]

I kind of see this booster as a prelim to the next Gen of Ego batts, if they now make a booster that would seem to me that they will soon release a one piece Batt with a VV dial on it.!! ( been asking for this forever now ) I'm not gonna spend $60 for this gadget of course but will wait for the full Batt to come out witch will probably sell for less than the booster it self after the initial craze dies down like everything else falls in price so will this product. I say hold and wait, better is yet to come of this and soon.
Do you really think that an integrated VV eGo will come soon? And will be at a low price?

Something that I didn't emphasize in my review that I have since come to appreciate is the value the Booster has of being able to be moved from PV to PV. I use it with each of my two 650 mAh eGo-T batts, with my 1000 mAh eGo-T batt, and with my two NoEgos (14650 and 18650). That becomes pretty cost-effective. [Yes, I know, in my case, $0 is inexpensive no matter how many times you divide it.;-) But it does save me from having to purchase one or more additional Boosters or VV devices.]

There is also an 18650 e-Power unit by NoGo that is out now and a VV switch will be getting released for that shortly, running an 18650 will be much better and have more mAh as well when it comes to VV and most likely be smaller than adding this Booster to a 1000mAh Ego but maybe a tad bigger in circumference. Just my opinions.
Are you referring to the 18650 NoEgo from Jazz CartoPipe? If and when that happens, that would be wonderful. I think Romaniac's NoEgos (both the 14650 and 18650) are fantastic! And, if anyone can do it inexpensively, it is he: $25 (the 14650) and $35 (the 18650) for two of the most beautiful, lightweight mods in their respective battery class?! Unbelievable! [But true; I own and love them both.]

Last edited:

rolandpibb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2011
British Columbia
I'm sorry, Roland.:( Hope my review didn't mislead you. I know I said: "I have used it successfully with...Echo-e cartomizers...." Of course, I also said: "...even those requiring an adapter," but I didn't specify which required an adapter. It does work, but you need to use the 510-to-510 extension adapter. Or maybe if you fiddle with the center post on the Echo-e carto. Doesn't work for me, but I'm not good at that kind of stuff.

I've tried the Ego Booster with 2 echo-e Cartomizers. One fits, one feels it wants to cross thread, so I'm not pushing.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Sure it can! I'm vaping a Smok Tech Mega Dual Coil on it right now at the 4.2V setting. However, I don't know what you are referring to when you say: "eGo specific dual coil carto." [Emphasis mine.] .

There's another dual coil out now that is shaped like an ego mega tybe-b atty. It has a skirt around the 510 connector and is made specifically for eGo and eGo clone batteries. - If this device can pass the amps required to run a regular dual coil, it can pass the amps required to run the eGo specific dual coil.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread