The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Breast Cancer Awareness

Discussion in 'Cancer Survivors and Loved Ones' started by trukinlady, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. trukinlady

trukinlady Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Feb 24, 2010
    Missouri, USA
    Hello all!

Just a reminder that October is breast cancer awareness month. Yearly mammograms are so important! Personally, I think getting a first mammogram by age 30 should be the norm. I was diagnosed at age 35, with no family history of breast cancer. A mammogram was the last thing on my mind. If I hadn't actually seen a lump at the surface of my skin, I would have never even considered getting one. I'm SO glad I did!! My cancer was caught early--and I've been breast cancer free for nearly 12 years! Praise God!!

So ladies--remember your mammogram! :)

2. hairball

hairball ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    My mom was diagnosed back in February of this year...she found the lump not the doctor. All is well now. She caught it early also and at age 69, it was very scary for all of us. I get one yearly also.

3. trukinlady

trukinlady Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Feb 24, 2010
    Missouri, USA
    Hi Hairball,

I'm glad to hear your Mom is doing well! And you also!

During my chemotherapy, I was amazed to see several younger women--in their 20's--in treatment too! I didn't realize breast cancer struck women in that age group as often as it does. Its more common than people realize. Now my female relatives know the importance of getting mammograms at a younger age.

Now, if there could be more ovarian cancer awareness, I think it could be discovered earlier. And that could drastically increase survival and recurrence in women who are diagnosed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.