Brief review/unboxing - THC Tauren

Status
Not open for further replies.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Morning Pals and Gals,

So I got my first tube mech mod, the THC Tauren. Let me just say right off the bat that this review is more concerned with some of the things (mostly ONE of the things) that really annoyed me in the reviews because I can imagine that some people who are new to either mech mods or tube mods might be dissuaded.

By no means am I a professional reviewer and there are umpteen dozen review channels that throw A LOT of flair in their videos that will be more appealing - consider this that supplementary/addendum footnote similar to fine print on a contract.

UNBOXING

Like you may or may not have seen, the mod itself came packaged in:

Felt drawstring bag with a plastic tag, the tag itself has two stickers (at least on mine, not sure with unicolour variants) which indicate the colour you purchased, and:

Aluminimum tube with threaded ends, and manufacturer markings on said tube.

IMG_0803 2.JPG

After you open up the package (probably go the thicker, top end first) you get:

Keyring
Warranty card
Mod - inside is a 18650 adaptor tube, black plastic with silver coated contacts.

The mod itself is in a vacuum-packed bag, pretty decent too. The keychain is going on my bike key for le bling :p

IMG_6684.JPG IMG_7212.JPG

USE

Honestly there are reviewers who have done the measurements, and opened up the button system showing a clutch-esque type mechanism which is similar to the SUB-ZERO. Probably one of the things that annoyed me with the reviews was that they accentuated the "rattle" which is caused by the ball bearing in the button mechanism which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is necessary to allow the mechanism to work as designed but also as the ball bearing is what is making contact and connecting the circuit kind of has to be loose (therein the rattle occurs). As far as the reality of this rattle, I'm really not sure how other people use their mods, but from the action of picking it up from wherever it's located, then taking a hit, then putting it back - the rattle doesn't occur. I'm not kidding I kept myself in a silent room and spent a good 30mins TRYING to make this thing rattle under what I believed from normal conditions (pulling out of pockets, off a bench, off the couch....and on and on, and it only rattled if I picked the mod up and vigorously shook it. If it's still a con for people - so be it, but I'd like to just make that point REALLY clear for people especially if all they have is a review.

The other thing which I didn't REALLY like in the reviews I saw was a description of the firing button and the throw length. In the reviews it's described as a short throw, to put it into a context I understand it's a bit like this:

I couldn't fire the button consistently, comfortably or properly by using the knuckle joint on my pinkie finger - didn't have the natural strength (without actively trying to push it with said knuckle) to fire off and when I did, the distance I could depress the button wasn't enough to fire it. So you DO need to use a proper finger push - mostly for the distance needed to depress the button but if you do use said finger - it's very easy, for myself it's that happy medium where it doesn't just "happen" but not so stiff that you need to start applying more pressure than is possible in your finger.

PERFORMANCE

I've just gotten this mod, when I saw it I loved the simplicity of the button mechanism and it was a size that I can have without looking ostentatious. The only other mechanical mod that I've tried has been the Pulse squonk. This thing is WAAAAAY more powerful than that, I'm already in love with it. I paired it with the Drop RDA, Alien Fused Claptons coming in at 0.12ohm and a custom drip-tip from District F5VE, but I need to change out the juice I'm using - it's my own concoction and it's mulled the flavour a bit given how hard it hits (just a side note). All in all I would say this thing is (as far as build quality and presentation) a steal given the price and if you're looking for a quality built mechanical mod this is well worth your attention and consideration.

IMG_4685.JPG

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
Thanks for the review! This mod seems to be gaining traction as a solid “go-to” tube that won’t break the bank. I’ve been very curious about it.

No problem, as I said it was something that really annoyed me as far as how sometimes the reviews get a bit too focused on things that are (in my opinion) really not related to what I would call a buying review.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
********URGENT UPDATE********

Guys and gals something I've just discovered (have no idea if this is a regular thing or not)

with the Tauren, you can cause it to misfire if you tip it on it's side. Best guess after pulling it apart the ball bearing is making contact with the clutch plates and the top of the contact plate. Let me repeat:

DO NOT PUT IT ON ITS SIDE!!!!!!

Hope this helps you all.

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
********URGENT UPDATE********

Guys and gals something I've just discovered (have no idea if this is a regular thing or not)

with the Tauren, you can cause it to misfire if you tip it on it's side. Best guess after pulling it apart the ball bearing is making contact with the clutch plates and the top of the contact plate. Let me repeat:

DO NOT PUT IT ON ITS SIDE!!!!!!

Hope this helps you all.

Thank You for this. Very significant design flaw potentially...

Reactions: escapetovape

billthetroll

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2016
Huntington West Virginia
I went to my local vape shop today after we talked last night and I asked to see the guys tauren mod I needed to show him something and sure enough what you're saying is 100% feasible.the ball bearing can touch the top of the button housing and the side wall and BAMM!!!!auto fire(which can lead to a vent) this needs to be emailed to the company asap!!!!! Before a noob gets one this thing starts to vent, they panic and let the mod go and blow.then we have another t.v news crew talking about "how bad vaper mods are"this was very irresponsible of the company that makes this mod.right now is a very important time in vaping.we can not have to many of these incidents happen.this really pisses me off bad.thanks to you tragedy could be concerted.thanks,and I really mean that.

• Agree
Reactions: escapetovape

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I think they fixed this so that the ball bearing isn't free moving.
It they just fixed it by just adding grease, one would think that grease will eventually wear off, or get cleaned off, then it would go back to the way it was. Makes me wonder if that is the case.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
It they just fixed it by just adding grease, one would think that grease will eventually wear off, or get cleaned off, then it would go back to the way it was. Makes me wonder if that is the case.

In this case mine didn't come packed with grease. But yes - it's not a permanent solution nor does it provide a captive cage for the ball bearing to actuate - so it's liable to fail in normal rather than abnormal conditions.

I'm starting a new thread showing the bits and bobs and a video of it auto-firing.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU
I went to my local vape shop today after we talked last night and I asked to see the guys tauren mod I needed to show him something and sure enough what you're saying is 100% feasible.the ball bearing can touch the top of the button housing and the side wall and BAMM!!!!auto fire(which can lead to a vent) this needs to be emailed to the company asap!!!!! Before a noob gets one this thing starts to vent, they panic and let the mod go and blow.then we have another t.v news crew talking about "how bad vaper mods are"this was very irresponsible of the company that makes this mod.right now is a very important time in vaping.we can not have to many of these incidents happen.this really pisses me off bad.thanks to you tragedy could be concerted.thanks,and I really mean that.

No problem brother, I'm glad I didn't get anything more than torched cotton and I'm super glad that I spotted it so early. Had it been something I keep at home on the shelf and never used (outside of very controlled conditions) I'd never have spotted it. And im glad to have helped somewhat.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU

It sucks that this managed to occur on what was otherwise a good piece of kit. I was wondering if it was just mine.

escapetovape

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
Brisbane, AU

What I'm more astounded with is HOW ON EARTH DID THE REVIEWERS NOT SEE THIS!?!?!?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread