• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Brilliant article by Will Self on Lifetime Nicotine Addiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Bean

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
UK
ecigfind.com
Reactions: Jman8

Dan Bean

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
UK
ecigfind.com
Read this the other day, and man, did I have a hankering for a Gauloise cigarette after finishing it. If there'd been any in the house I couldn't have resisted. Read at your peril as it makes you remember all the reasons you smoked.
Yep, kind of did the same for me, though it's been so long since I puffed on a real Gauloise (Bleu) that I can't really remember the taste any more. Got me yearning for an unattainably-realistic tobacco eliquid-based vape session though. That will have to do I guess.

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
I've also been on a John Le Carre kick recently - watched the old BBC versions of Tinker Taylor and Smiley's People and they're like adverts for smoking - everybody does it all the time. Gauloise plays an important plot part in Smiley's People and that had me wanting one as well, which is weird because I haven't had a Gauloise in decades but I can imagine the taste and smell of them as though it were only yesterday.

Reactions: Dan Bean

liquidator

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2012
Berkshire UK
Brilliant article, very funny, bought back a lot of memories...........

He started about the same time as me with Players No .6 in the early 70's, and I done the same with the pipe smoking, I too pondered for ages about whether I would look like an old duffer smoking one. I did the pipe thing for two years, I actually got some good comments on the nice smelling baccy's but more bad ones because it was like lighting a bonfire!

Reactions: Dan Bean

Dan Bean

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
UK
ecigfind.com
Brilliant article, very funny, bought back a lot of memories...........

He started about the same time as me with Players No .6 in the early 70's, and I done the same with the pipe smoking, I too pondered for ages about whether I would look like an old duffer smoking one. I did the pipe thing for two years, I actually got some good comments on the nice smelling baccy's but more bad ones because it was like lighting a bonfire!
What? Another teenage pipe smoker in UK? And all that time I thought I was alone - how much happier I would have been back then if I'd known there were others of my age group walking around with a hickory wood pipe and pouch of Gold Blend concealed beneath their bodywarmers.....

Dan Bean

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
UK
ecigfind.com
I've also been on a John Le Carre kick recently - watched the old BBC versions of Tinker Taylor and Smiley's People and they're like adverts for smoking - everybody does it all the time. Gauloise plays an important plot part in Smiley's People and that had me wanting one as well, which is weird because I haven't had a Gauloise in decades but I can imagine the taste and smell of them as though it were only yesterday.
Yep for me the big smoke-inducing flick is Midnight Express. Everyone's puffing away like fags are about to be outlawed - from the boom boom hearthumping introduction through to near the end of the film it never ends. Even the enormous, obnoxious lawyer smokes in a way that "drags" you in: "Right now Billy, money doesn't matter...(suck, blow, smile)"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread