British American Tobacco has licence for product ready for prescriptive purposes in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
Although I wish big tobacco would keep there money and influence out of vaping they won't. The British tobacco company's have the funds to pay the required licence fee's to have their cig-a-like products ready for payment from individuals and Govt. alike and so the first prescription e cig available in the UK offered by the NHS will likely be one of their's.

First e-cigarettes to be prescribed on the NHS in the New Year

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I still say this is a very bad idea. Because the people MOST in need of smoking cessation, asthmatics and emphysemics, will be denied access to those prescriptions because of their medical history. In effect, they're saying, "you have this lung condition so we won't prescribe you this godsend to help you quit smoking." So the asthmatics and emphysemics will have no option, if they take free-market vapes OFF the market because of the prescription kind, except to continue smoking -- exactly as I did, for 15+ more years, when my doctor told me he couldn't prescribe the nicotine inhaler because of my medical history of asthma.

Numbskulls. Idiots. Total unmitigated BOOBS.

Andria

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Exactly Andria, my long history of asthma and asthmatic bronchitis would put me in that bracket too! BT is playing both sides of the field here and i feel they should be outlawed from having anything whatsoever to do with anything more to do with vaping; such a contradiction.
We really are stuck with idiots and corrupt politician's making all the wrong decisions for all the stupid twits to profit from once again:facepalm:

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
If you can't kill your enemy, embrace him.

UK is one of the very few - if not the only - country, where they recognize vaping as valid option to get off the tobacco cigs. Sure tobacco tax is gonna take a nose-dive but they figure that the long-term benefits will more than compensate for that.

Would have been naive to expect BT ( or BAT ) sit on their hands and watch the profits going downhill too. Nicely played, have to - grudgingly - admit that.
Prescription could mean that govt's health budget might foot some of the bill.

First you sell 'em the poison, then you sell 'em the cure. Either way, it's money in the till.
Machiavelli would be pleased.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
I don't necessarily think it is a bad idea to include it with other nicotine replacement therapies, in that context it makes sense, but, I am afraid I have to agree with a lot of the replies to that article in that if you can afford to smoke you can afford to buy your own ecigs and supplies. I do wonder though how successful this will be, for a lot of smokers the cig-alikes were not enough to get off/stay off smoking.

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Nice comments guys, I actually suspect that (in the UK at least) this will benefit Vaper's, provided they do not regulate in the same way proposed by the FDA in the USA. This could happen,of course,as Britain and the rest of the EU invariably follows suit.

British American Tobacco Introduces the Voke Nicotine Inhaler | E-Cigarette Reviews and Rankings

Let us hope for the best outcome where we all get what we would like; the choice and liberty thereof to make adult decisions for ourselves and for what equipment we care to do that with.

Reactions: KentA

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
Nice comments guys, I actually suspect that (in the UK at least) this will benefit Vaper's, provided they do not regulate in the same way proposed by the FDA in the USA. This could happen,of course,as Britain and the rest of the EU invariably follows suit.

British American Tobacco Introduces the Voke Nicotine Inhaler | E-Cigarette Reviews and Rankings

Let us hope for the best outcome where we all get what we would like; the choice and liberty thereof to make adult decisions for ourselves and for what equipment we care to do that with.
UK is still in the EU.
Implementation of TPD is due first harlf of 2016.
It's not as wacky as what the FDA has in mind, but it's bad enough. Totally Wicked going to get their day in court for sure.

And BAT outsmarted that awful piece of regulation too, cuz theirs now got a rating as medical device and TPD doesn't apply.

But just like across the pond, European vapers are stashing up too.

Old proverb ... hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Cuz once you're sitting on a freezer full of DIY-supplies, BT, BP, BG and all the others shysters can proceed to have airborne intercourse with a franchised bakery product :D

nicnik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 20, 2015
Illinois, USA
And now the latest news on BAT is allegations of bribery of MP's and members of WHO's committee on tobacco prevention (CTP) as if we didn't already expect this.

The bribery was between BAT employees and and WHO FCTC members. The whistle blowing came from a BAT employee. In response, the WHO put out a statement condemning BAT for the bribery, while BAT puts out a statement blaming their own (BAT's) employee(s) for BAT's part. Is the WHO unconcerned about their FCTC members soliciting and/or accepting bribes?

The secret bribes of big tobacco - BBC News

Emails now shared by Mr Hopkins reveal BAT made illegal payments to two members and one former member of the World Health Organization's (WHO) Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC), a United Nations campaign supported by 180 countries, aimed at reducing deaths from tobacco-related illness.

An FCTC representative from Burundi, Godefroid Kamwenubusa, and a representative from the Comoros Islands, Chaibou Bedja Abdou, were both paid $3,000 (£2,000). A former representative from Rwanda, Bonaventure Nzeyimana, was paid $20,000. All three men deny taking bribes from BAT.

Dr Vera Da Costa e Silva, from the WHO, said BAT "is irresponsible to say the least".

"It is using bribery to profit at the cost of people's lives, simple as that," she said.

"BAT should be investigated by the government and should be punished accordingly."

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
The bribery was between BAT employees and and WHO FCTC members. The whistle blowing came from a BAT employee. In response, the WHO put out a statement condemning BAT for the bribery, while BAT puts out a statement blaming their own (BAT's) employee(s) for BAT's part. Is the WHO unconcerned about their FCTC members soliciting and/or accepting bribes?

Good point. I'd say it's marginally more offensive to accept a bribe than to offer one. Offering one may fall into the category of "it never hurts to ask." Accepting one is squarely in the "corruption" category.

Andria

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014

The secret bribes of big tobacco - BBC News

Thank you for this...didn't have time to post a link or concise details but was hoping someone would do so.

Reactions: nicnik
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread