Broken saber update. I am stumped guys. Help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darwinvsjesus

ECF Veteran
Hi everyone.

Some of you might remember how I accidentally put my saber out of commission by putting the batteries in backwards. It fired without touching the button, whereupon I immediately removed the batteries. Now it doesn't fire at all.

BUT. If I put the batteries in backwards, it fires constantly whether you touch the button or not. Is my switch damaged? What could possibly be the problem?

I'm stumped. I'm still smoking cigarettes because after 150 dollars buying crappy smoov twists I realized I should have just purchased another effing saber.

does anyone think I might be able to get this working again without having to send it back?

darwinvsjesus

ECF Veteran
I just thought of something, in case anyone wants to answer this. If the saber shorted, wouldn't the spring collapse? It didnt get hot, or collapse, or anything like that.

I've cleaned the contacts and threading because they turned out to be hideously filthy. Charging my batteries now, and hopefully getting it to work. If this fails to work, I'll be sending it to Sir Lawrence as soon as I have some income.

I will note that, even though atomizers/cartomizers would not fit (too loose, not 'biting' on the threads on the 510 connection), after a thorough cleaning with rubbing alcohol and barkeeper's friend, they screw in just fine, like they are brand new.

I really hope I fix this soon. If I have to send it back to Sir Lawrence, I wonder how long it takes to get it back fixed?

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
Well, usually its a quick time for fixes, but I believe Sir Lawrence is dealing with a bit health problems at the moment. He needs to stop the Chuck Norris stunt double gig.

Send him an email sirlawrence@vapormoon.com and I sure he will get back to you as soon as he can.

I have one of my Sabers with him right now. I sent it a while ago, but he sent his deepest apologies and said hed get it done as soon as he can.

Im sure your Saber will be fixed and in perfect working order when he gets it in his O.R.

Sir_Lawrence

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2009
Maryland
vapormoon.com
Guys... it's usually something very simple. But you need to check it with a multi-meter!

Set your meter on 20v (if it's not automatic). Take your black lead and set your Saber's bottom cap on it. Take the red lead and ONLY touch the center pin on the inside of the Saber's connection. Then activate the Saber. It will tell you what it's putting out.

I just need to do a video on this. You all know, I carry a very inexpensive multi-meter, or you can pick one up anywhere... Walmart, Pep boys...

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA
Guys... it's usually something very simple. But you need to check it with a multi-meter!

Set your meter on 20v (if it's not automatic). Take your black lead and set your Saber's bottom cap on it. Take the red lead and ONLY touch the center pin on the inside of the Saber's connection. Then activate the Saber. It will tell you what it's putting out.

I just need to do a video on this. You all know, I carry a very inexpensive multi-meter, or you can pick one up anywhere... Walmart, Pep boys...

Mine just died on me last night... :cry:

I did notice that the bottom cap got a little warm a couple of times... but I didn't think much of it at the time. (although I did take the batt out and feel it to see if it was hot)

When it died, the 1st thing I did was to check the charge on the batt, and even replaced the coil in the tank I had on it (which is the same one I always use) tried a carto and atty, too... but still nothing.

I always clean the threads on everything when I change or remove it to fill, but I used some alcohol this time, too. And still nothing!!

I just tried what Sir Lawrence suggested above, and it is deader than a doornail... I just want to cry!!

What now??

Thanks!!

spacekitty

Krazee Kat Laydee & Guru-X2.5
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
SoCal, USA
Spacekitty- Is this the midi you got a while back? I think Sir Lawrence has put in some kind of circuit protection the latest models he builds. I'm not sure if it a fuse that could blow or what, but keep your chin up. Sir Lawrence will come to the rescue.

Thanks!! I haven't bothered him about it yet, with the Holiday coming and all... but I sure do miss it!! cray-1.gif

thanksgiving-cat-fire.gif~original

desertlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2011
Southern California
I have several sabers. It seems to be a constant battle to keep them working. Don't know what the deal is. I don't have this problem with other mods.

Appreciate the post from Sir Lawrence, it may help with the constant troubleshooting.

I also have pass-thrus with the same issues. I plan to get a soldering kit and learn how to fix them myself....hopefully.

Good luck with your saber. I wouldn't buy another new one cuz they drop in value so quickly. Couple of used or even new at $55 and $65 for sale right now.....that's about what they run.

anavidfan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 14, 2012
U.S.
SOrry to hear Sir Lawrence is in the hospital. Im sure once he gets back on his feet he will help. I had a problem with one of mine and it turned out that I had been screwing my very heavy atomizer a bit too hard. What happens is that there is a little white seal around the top contact. If that becomes unsealed it will start to short. Check the top of your contact and see if the seal is still there.

I didnt even notice I had actually worn it out, hence the heating of the bottom cap and dieing on me. It was an easy fix and now Im more careful with my Odysseus atomizer.

I dont know if that is whats wrong with it, but sounds like mine was acting before it just died. I kept having the spring retract and heating up. Then it started to sporadically not fire and then dead.

I sent it to Sir Lawrence, think it cost me 30? cant remember, because I also had him change the connection to the one with a well.

I love my Sabers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread