Build for the Aromamizer Plus and Kylin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
I'm trying to build coils for my Aromamizer Plus and my Kylin. I've tried 2 core fused claptons, Staplesand a regular 22g but it's not giving me the warm flavorful vape I get when I use premade coils. Or I get a lot of dry hits no matter how I wick it...what do you all recommend? Should I go for a small ID (2 or 2.5) or should I go with a 3mm ID? Is there a difference in flavor? I have .8 ribbon, 22, 24, 26 and 28g ka1...26 and 36g ss316L...26g ni200...30, 38 and 40g ni80. Tia

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF. I'm probably not the best to assist, I use simple round wire builds for building.

With that said, I imagine those with more experience will be along in a while to help. I will say that building your own exotic coils takes practice, trial and error, and as far as flavor, it may take some time to hit on that "ideal" build.

Were you using a small or larger diameter in your prebuilts, do you know what diameters you were using? That might give you something of a starting point....

I did want to say best of luck and welcome to ECF, though.

Anna

Reactions: Postalangel

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I'm trying to build coils for my Aromamizer Plus and my Kylin. I've tried 2 core fused claptons, Staplesand a regular 22g but it's not giving me the warm flavorful vape I get when I use premade coils. Or I get a lot of dry hits no matter how I wick it...what do you all recommend? Should I go for a small ID (2 or 2.5) or should I go with a 3mm ID? Is there a difference in flavor? I have .8 ribbon, 22, 24, 26 and 28g ka1...26 and 36g ss316L...26g ni200...30, 38 and 40g ni80. Tia
You just made my day. About two weeks ago I got a larger mod and wanted a 30 rta so I picked up the Aromamizer Plus with it. First I put twisted fused clapton coils in it, no flavor after the juice I primed the coils with was gone basically, once it wasn't oversaturated. Used em for 3 days, rewicked once, played with it a lot and was not happy. Tried a few different types of twisted coild with flat wire mixed with round, reverse twisted and standard, better but I was getting bad vibes that this tank just wasn't going to produce the flavor I wanted. 2 days ago I twisted 2 24 gauge wires and made a 7 wrap on 2mm rod (probly ended up as 2.25mm) dual coil reads as .18 and put them in. I know these coils are heavy hitters with big flavor in any atty lol! I also tried something different with wicking. Once i had cotton in coil and cut ends i used fine point tweezers to rake it out a little, pulling some cotton away, really thinned it out a lot. I had been having the same dry hit issues as you. It all worked. I have not had the dry hits and i think flavor was muted because the wicking was not getting enough juice to the coil. I'm running it at 77 watts, 3.75v. Drinking a lot more juice than it had been.
Edit: Kanthal, all I'm using is kanthal, should have mentioned that.

Last edited:

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
Thanks Anna! The prebuilt said it was 3mm but when I compared it to my 3mm, it looked awfully small and I thought I read somewhere that you want to go with small ids for rta to make it easier to keep up with the wicking..but then again, the prebuilt said they were alien claptons but when I pulled one apart, they were staple coils with a 32g wrap (with no alien waves, lmao)...idk, I'll keep on keeping on, I'm nothing if not persistent lmao
Welcome to ECF. I'm probably not the best to assist, I use simple round wire builds for building.

With that said, I imagine those with more experience will be along in a while to help. I will say that building your own exotic coils takes practice, trial and error, and as far as flavor, it may take some time to hit on that "ideal" build.

Were you using a small or larger diameter in your prebuilts, do you know what diameters you were using? That might give you something of a starting point....

I did want to say best of luck and welcome to ECF, though.

Anna

Reactions: Letitia

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
My standard for an aromamizer plus is a single coil 3.5mm with 8x28ga twist and 6 wraps. Gives me around .25 which vapes well @30w. I run it on an ageis which is a single battery mod so I didn’t want the voltage too high to save battery life.

The key feature of wicking these things is the wick needs to go through the kidney shaped holes and out the bottom, then get thinned and trimmed. Too little thinning and you get a dry hit, too much thinning and it leaks

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
My standard for an aromamizer plus is a single coil 3.5mm with 8x28ga twist and 6 wraps. Gives me around .25 which vapes well @30w. I run it on an ageis which is a single battery mod so I didn’t want the voltage too high to save battery life.

The key feature of wicking these things is the wick needs to go through the kidney shaped holes and out the bottom, then get thinned and trimmed. Too little thinning and you get a dry hit, too much thinning and it leaks
You pull the cotton through the wicking slots, then trim it? I may have to try that. I trim, fluff, then stuff in holes. Ever do dual coil builds on the aromamizer?

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
I'm running 3.5mm id coils on my Plus. 22 gauge kanthal, 6 wraps, .29 ohms. No dry hits and good flavor. It's probably your wicking, as previously suggested. I run my wicks through, cut them to the proper length, thin them out then push them into the wells. Once they're in, juice them up really good, then take your tweezers or a really thin flat head screwdriver and push up from the juice flow slots right in the middle. Not enough to push the wicks out of the well, just enough to create a little bubble in there for liquid to come up through into the wicks, but not leak all the way through out of the wells. Once you do that it should vape like a champ with whatever your preferred coils are.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You pull the cotton through the wicking slots, then trim it? I may have to try that. I trim, fluff, then stuff in holes. Ever do dual coil builds on the aromamizer?
Once. Battery life was quite bad though I fogged myself out of my bedroom. That was with round wire iirc. I forget what the sizes were.

The central deck pops out of the bottom ring to expose the bottom of the deck so you can get at it. I’ve got some claw ended tweezers so I push it through, thin it by picking at it with the tweezers, then trim off the excess leaving about 1mm of wick poking through the holes.

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015

Maybe it is my wicking technique! I was told to just place it over the holes, never letting the cotton come through...shoot, I'm gonna try it again! Thank you

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
I'm running 3.5mm id coils on my Plus. 22 gauge kanthal, 6 wraps, .29 ohms. No dry hits and good flavor. It's probably your wicking, as previously suggested. I run my wicks through, cut them to the proper length, thin them out then push them into the wells. Once they're in, juice them up really good, then take your tweezers or a really thin flat head screwdriver and push up from the juice flow slots right in the middle. Not enough to push the wicks out of the well, just enough to create a little bubble in there for liquid to come up through into the wicks, but not leak all the way through out of the wells. Once you do that it should vape like a champ with whatever your preferred coils are.
Next time you wick your Aromamizer, would you mind showing me a pic of the bottom of the deck? I would love to do a 22g build, that's my go-to for every single rda I own...dual coil, 22g, 10 wraps, 3.5 mm ID. I think that's the best for flavor and warmth...I have it in my Kennedy 2 post, my Drop, Tsunami, Apocalypse, Goon, Peerless...I haven't found an rda that that build doesn't work good on. I didn't think I could go with a 3.5mm ID in the Aromamizer or the Kylin because I was afraid it wouldn't be able to keep up with the wick...thanks, looks like I'm gonna call in sick so I can stay home and play! Roflmao...thanks again

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Maybe it is my wicking technique! I was told to just place it over the holes, never letting the cotton come through...shoot, I'm gonna try it again! Thank you
I forget which build video I got it from. Older guy. Grey beard. There’s more than one way to do it even in the videos. I’ve had good luck with that one though.

I think it works because it makes two seals. One in the well and one at the hole. If you don’t thin the cotton enough it will dry hit all day though. I’ve actually wicked it, vapes it for an hour or so, taken it apart again, and thinned more cotton out with my tweezers while everything was still wet, and put it back together again

Last edited:

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
You just made my day. About two weeks ago I got a larger mod and wanted a 30 rta so I picked up the Aromamizer Plus with it. First I put twisted fused clapton coils in it, no flavor after the juice I primed the coils with was gone basically, once it wasn't oversaturated. Used em for 3 days, rewicked once, played with it a lot and was not happy. Tried a few different types of twisted coild with flat wire mixed with round, reverse twisted and standard, better but I was getting bad vibes that this tank just wasn't going to produce the flavor I wanted. 2 days ago I twisted 2 24 gauge wires and made a 7 wrap on 2mm rod (probly ended up as 2.25mm) dual coil reads as .18 and put them in. I know these coils are heavy hitters with big flavor in any atty lol! I also tried something different with wicking. Once i had cotton in coil and cut ends i used fine point tweezers to rake it out a little, pulling some cotton away, really thinned it out a lot. I had been having the same dry hit issues as you. It all worked. I have not had the dry hits and i think flavor was muted because the wicking was not getting enough juice to the coil. I'm running it at 77 watts, 3.75v. Drinking a lot more juice than it had been.
Edit: Kanthal, all I'm using is kanthal, should have mentioned that.
I'm glad I made your day! Lol...I'll try the twisted 24g, what have I got to lose? So far, I think I'm the one person who is not blown away by the Aromamizer. I just purchased the Footoon Aqua Reboot, hopefully I'll have better luck

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
I forget which build video I got it from. Older guy. Grey beard. There’s more than one way to do it even in the videos. I’ve had good luck with that one though.

I think it works because it makes two deals. One in the well and one at the hole. If you don’t thin the cotton enough it will dry hit all day though. I’ve actually wicked it, vapes it for an hour or so, taken it apart again, and thinned more cotton out with my tweezers while everything was still wet, and put it back together again
Thanks, I'll go on YouTube and search "aromamizer tutorial by old man with grey beard"...I'm sure something will come up, although I'm afraid of what I might see lol. Sorry, I'm a ball buster, I do appreciate your help, thanks again

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
Next time you wick your Aromamizer, would you mind showing me a pic of the bottom of the deck?
It's in my truck right now, and I will likely forget by the time I'm wicking it again. That being said, I have my Aromamizer Titan here which I wick the same way. I use the velocity deck on it so it's basically the same setup. The slots are wider and out further on the deck, so I think you can see how they are pushed up in the middle in this picture.

20180317_194205.jpg

Also, since I run this on the Hammer of God which is series mech, I have a longer coil on it which is more like where you build at, but it's a simple 22 gauge and you can chain vape this thing at 200 watts without dry hits. It stays as saturated as it looks here but it doesn't leak. That being said, again there is a little more wicking than you would have in the Plus because the Titan has a larger deck. The plus I can generally only vape at about 150 watts or I will get dry hits.

20180317_194120.jpg

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I'm glad I made your day! Lol...I'll try the twisted 24g, what have I got to lose? So far, I think I'm the one person who is not blown away by the Aromamizer. I just purchased the Footoon Aqua Reboot, hopefully I'll have better luck
Oh I'm not blown away by it either but I'm finding a good vape with it. Does put out a massive cloud, airflow is a little different than I'm used to.

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015
It's in my truck right now, and I will likely forget by the time I'm wicking it again. That being said, I have my Aromamizer Titan here which I wick the same way. I use the velocity deck on it so it's basically the same setup. The slots are wider and out further on the deck, so I think you can see how they are pushed up in the middle in this picture.

View attachment 729905

Also, since I run this on the Hammer of God which is series mech, I have a longer coil on it which is more like where you build at, but it's a simple 22 gauge and you can chain vape this thing at 200 watts without dry hits. It stays as saturated as it looks here but it doesn't leak. That being said, again there is a little more wicking than you would have in the Plus because the Titan has a larger deck. The plus I can generally only vape at about 150 watts or I will get dry hits.

View attachment 729907
Cool, thank you. I'm taking mine apart right now to put some 22g coils in there...wish me luck

View attachment 729905

View attachment 729907
Thanks, I'm taking it apart now to put some 22g coils in it but this is what it looked like with the 2.5mm staple coils I installed that's not giving me much flavor or much heat even at 81w, 320°F...any higher and it's dry hit city. When I install dual 3.5mm 10 wrap 22g coils in my Kennedy or Apocalypse, 120w is my preferred range & I get flavor, heat and vapor for days! Oh well, here I go! Wish me luck!
1521337414141-334559328.jpg
1521337461987681698400.jpg

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
that's not giving me much flavor or much heat even at 81w, 320°F.
Are you getting burnt hits in TC mode?

They might be a little thick for the plus. You can try thinning them out a little, and make sure you don't stuff them into the deck. I use a flathead screwdriver and just more or less slide them in there. They do look saturated though, so I would thing they would vape fine.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

They might be a little thick for the plus. You can try thinning them out a little, and make sure you don't stuff them into the deck. I use a flathead screwdriver and just more or less slide them in there. They do look saturated though, so I would thing they would vape fine.
I never had particularly good luck with tc on the plus. It might just be me though. This is actually a major reason I’m so interested in replay on the dna 250c

Postalangel

Oct 25, 2015

No burnt hits on tc, just not much flavor...I have to say, most mods I've had are VERY temperamental in TC and usually bounce me out of TC and into be mode but ever since I installed the Arctic Fox software onto my Reuleaux 2/3 and my Gen3, I can run tc on almost any wire...even on fused claptons with a ka1 core and ni80 wrap, I put the TC on ni and it works like a charm...I just installed dual 22g ka1 and it's running in TC...but still, no dry hits but not much flavor

• Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread