Building a "hana" style mod with the fasttech enclosure: looking for tips, tricks, and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
I've really been wanting a Hana, but they are really freakin expensive and seem to have some issues lately. I discovered this https://www.fasttech.com/products/1411/10007864/1785704 and am thinking that $90 (with an -authentic- DNA30 and some other bits) sounds a whole lot better than $250 for the same thing. I'm just wondering if anyone has built one yet and what you think of it (pics always appreciated, and drooled over lol)?

I want to get a fatdaddyvapes 510, but curious how it would fit and look? I'm also curious how hard it would be to mod the aluminum box is to make it fit? I only have a cheap hand drill and a dremel. Also, do I only need to wire the pos pin and neg washer to the board, or do you need to "ground" it to the case? One of the posts I was reading mentioned something about a ground wire, but I may have been mis-reading it (I'm not versed in wiring electronics at all).

I was also wondering if the buttons that come with this box are adequate? I'm pretty sure I will be tossing the wire that comes with this and getting some good wire, but are all buttons equal? Will these last, or should I order some from another source? On that same note, are all battery trays equal, or should the included tray be replaced with a keystone?

In reading through some other posts it looks like getting some fuses wouldn't be a bad idea either. Can anyone post a link to the best fuses to use with the Evolv DNA30? Also curious about how to wire the fuses in. Do I just take the + wire from the bat and 1 leg from each fuse and solder them directly together, then the other 2 legs and a length of wire to the boards +batt?

I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet, but am really close. Once I do I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions, but at this point I just want to get a clear idea of what I'll actually be getting myself into. I've not soldered before, but I have done a little welding and brazing, so I am pretty sure I can handle it. In my head, I have the idea that I'll just get the board, charger, buttons, 510, and batt tray, throw them together and be done and vaping inside of 3 hours, am I delusional?

Visus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2013
United States

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Just receive my FT enclosures that were linked in this thread.....enclosure is fine...... wiring kit is crap.....

510 connector is very poor quality and not a sealed connector.

All included wires are not sized properly for the load (except for wiring the tactile switches), including the wires attached to the battery holder.

Just a heads up.....

lot17ss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Columbus,Ohio Usa
Just receive my FT enclosures that were linked in this thread.....enclosure is fine...... wiring kit is crap.....

510 connector is very poor quality and not a sealed connector.

All included wires are not sized properly for the load (except for wiring the tactile switches), including the wires attached to the battery holder.

Just a heads up.....

what gauge do you recommend?

lot17ss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Columbus,Ohio Usa
Are the buttons and batt tray any good? Also, on the wiring... There's a closed-ring wire terminal with the kit. I've noticed these are also in the original Hana and the clone and connected to the inner top of the case on the chip side. What is this connection and what should be wired to it?

Its ground

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
Its ground

That's what I thought, and that's where my confusion begins. I thought everything just went from the board to its labeled contact point. What gets wired to the ground, all negative wires? I know it's probably a dumb question, but I've never done any electronics projects like this before. Any chance someone could throw together a quick, idiot-proof wiring diagram for this box?

sanjosse

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2010
San Jose, CA
That's what I thought, and that's where my confusion begins. I thought everything just went from the board to its labeled contact point. What gets wired to the ground, all negative wires? I know it's probably a dumb question, but I've never done any electronics projects like this before. Any chance someone could throw together a quick, idiot-proof wiring diagram for this box?

HOPS, I'm in the same boat, my kit just arrived yesterday.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side

HOPS, I'm in the same boat, my kit just arrived yesterday.

The pdf linked above has info on wiring...... grounding to the case from the chip was done instead of grounding directly to the 510 connector due to the design of the box.

Here is a tutorial (using a different box but using the DNA) It used a dna20 but you can see how to wire the 30 (if you add fuses they will be different values from those shown for the DNA20.... http://www.howder.com/milo-dna20d.pdf

and you don't need to remove the on-board fire button either...as stated in the tutorial...

Last edited:

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
So, the only wire connected to ("grounded" to) the case will be contact #12 the "fire -" from the board?

edit: I apologize for being redundant, and asking such elementary questions. However, I don't want to literally vape my face off or burn the house down. I prefer to sound stupid than to remove all doubt ;)

(pin 1) Negative side of the power output. Connect to atomizer (this usually connects to the shell of the 510 connector but if there is a physical connection between the shell and a metal case the case can become the ground connection point for the atomizer....

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
(pin 1) Negative side of the power output. Connect to atomizer (this usually connects to the shell of the 510 connector but if there is a physical connection between the shell and a metal case the case can become the ground connection point for the atomizer....
Ok, "output -" only... Wow, looking back I can't believe I wrote fire-, honestly I do know that's for the fire switch lol... I was just typing too fast lol.

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND

retird,

Is it worth sanding back some of the anodizing to improve conductivity?

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
Is it worth sanding back some of the anodizing to improve conductivity?

I would... Direct metal to metal contact is always best for an electrical connection. If using that as the neg connection for the 510, I'd tap the threads of the case too to make sure that connection is clean too... (I know you directed that to Retird, but I wanted to redeem myself after my last question lol).

Edit: If you find a close up pic of the inside of a legit Hana you can see the connection is sanded clean...

Last edited:

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
I would... Direct metal to metal contact is always best for an electrical connection... (I know you directed that to Retird, but I wanted to redeem myself after my last question lol).

Thank you sir!

I just remember all the issues with the Squape clones and their anodized decks.

HOPS

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2012
Thank you sir!

No prob...

image.jpg

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread