Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I've been building unregulated and mech mods for a while now and I'm wanting to try my hand at building a lipo PWM mod in a CNC 1590N1 enclosure so if I want to go with a larger battery in the future I will have the room instead of building another box. I've just started my research and just wanted to post a thread to ask if anybody has made one (or multiples) and found something that works better than others, found something that made it easier, opinions on batteries (which ones are better for our uses), boards or anything you can think of that would help me out I would like to hear.

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
There are so many options and designs to choose from.
Do you want to assemble the PWM board yourself or get a pre-made one?
If already made, there are Many options out there, many already on the ECF.
Trim pot or digital, safety features, volt meters, auto lipo selection, LED's or diodes, and many other options.

PWM isn't what it use to be.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
There are so many options and designs to choose from.
Do you want to assemble the PWM board yourself or get a pre-made one?
If already made, there are Many options out there, many already on the ECF.
Trim pot or digital, safety features, volt meters, auto lipo selection, LED's or diodes, and many other options.

PWM isn't what it use to be.

I'm finding that out doing some research. It's kind of overwhelming like it is first getting into something with with so much info you kind of get info overload and shut down for a while.

I watched a YouTube video by NoNamé Box Mods of him making one from start to finish (2 hour video), here is a link to the video. I like the board he is using (even though he is running 18650's instead of a lipo. I'd like to find a video of someone building a lipo box but can't find any). It had a couple switches on it. One 3-way switch to move from lock out to unregulated series to PWM mode. The other switch is to turn the volt meter off and on which I can either do with or without. I'd really like to have the volt meter only show me the voltage when I hit the fire button. I would like to put the board together myself but I'm not sure being the first one I do if I should get one already done then on the next one get a board that I put together. What is your opinion on that?

I was planning on a doing a trim pot. I def want to have a volt meter on it. I was also thinking about putting a set of LED lights (green/red) to let me know if 1 of the cells drop to 3.5V so I don't drain the cell too far to damage it. What other safety features are out there?

I haven't heard about auto lipo selection. I'll have to look that up. The LED's or diodes you mention, is that like the LED's I mentioned ^^ for showing if a cell drops below 3.5V?

If you could give me a quick run down of other option you would use for either a safer mod or a more user friendly mod I would appreciate it. I'm trying to be like a sponge and soak up every bit of info I can so if you have any other opinions or info you don't mind sharing please do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
David4500 is the guru on here with PWM's. He does his own boards and I have used them. They are awesome. I also like this guys boards. Big Als Mods - Regulators and parts for Mod Makers For the price they are hard to beat.

I appreciate the info with the website. I'll take a look at it. If you have any info to input, please do.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I was looking the other day at some PWM boards and was looking at gun star boards. In your opinion are these any good? I have some other things in my cart on their website so I was just wondering if they were worth getting. Here is a link to the ones I was looking at and was wanting to know if they would work for the lipo box I'm wanting to build. Here is a link to the boards. Gunstar Mods PWM Board v2.1

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Reactions: Wheelin247

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Status