Not open for further replies.

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
Just to see if it could be done.

Ribbon kantha, 8 wraps, coming in at exactly 2.0 ohm.

Picked up the tank at a B&M, but couldn't wait for my wire to arrive (amazon). Was a pain in the ... catching the ribbon on the terminals, but it works... the taste is off though. Not sure if it's my build or the ribbon form-factor or the fact that it's from an old toaster.

Tried it with cotton and two lengths of braided bamboo string. TBH can't really tell the difference.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
As far as I've heard, toaster wire is Kanthal...or at least something close to it. There are probably a hundred different types of heater wire out there, but the only two that really get talked about are Kanthal and Nichrome. I've eyed the old toaster a time or two myself. :D

If the off taste doesn't go away in a half hour or so, then it is either coming from the coil, or you didn't get the kayfun entirely clean when you cleaned it. You did clean it...right?

Last edited:

DeadbeatJeff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2014
Rochester, NY
store.coilsociety.com
As far as I've heard, toaster wire is Kanthal...or at least something close to it. There are probably a hundred different types of heater wire out there, but the only two that really get talked about are Kanthal and Nichrome. I've eyed the old toaster a time or two myself. :D

If the off taste doesn't go away in a half hour or so, then it is either coming from the coil, or you didn't get the kayfun entirely clean when you cleaned it. You did clean it...right?

rinsed it and soaked it in iso

and I'd thought of that, but it tasted "fine" withe the crappy premade coils that came with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread