The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Burned 4 atties on the Grand

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by Kencalise, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Kencalise

Kencalise Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2011
    Toronto
    Hi, all! I am new to atty(first time to use).
    I just burned 4 atties on my grand. :cry::cry::cry:
    They are 510,306 LR 1.5, 1.8 and 2 ohm
    I soaked them well(the wick was wet), but don't know why they burned.
    Does the Grand run at 3.7V?
    I use AW 18650 protected 2600mah battery with my grand.
    It should be fine for grand to run with LR atty, isn't it?
    Please share yr ideas!
    Thank you!

2. Keeno

Keeno Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have no idea.....I only use IMR batteries in mine and use anywhere from a single 18650 to stacking IMR 16340's for 7.4+ volt vape (my preference) and haven't had an issue yet. 18650's with 1.5's and 16340's with 3.0ohm and above cartomizers.

3. Kencalise

Jul 18, 2011
    Toronto
    Do u mean that u use only carto on yr grand?
    Or 3.0+ u will use carto?

4. Rhapsodies Fire

Rhapsodies Fire ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2010
    Bow, WA, USA
    Hi Kencalise :)

So I have a few questions. Can you describe the manner in which these atties were burned? Burned upon first draw? Vaped 4 or 5 times, then burned? Vaped 10 times and then burn?

How did you soak them? Please describe the process.

Also...do you have a multimeter on hand?

1.5, 1.8 and 2.0Ω are all perfectly acceptable to use with the 3.7v batteries.

The 2600mah battery is a bit tall for the grand, if I remember correctly. When you pull the battery out...how does the spring look?

5. washvap

washvap Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2011
    wa
    Hey, WELCOME TO THE TEAM and sub-forum!!!!

I'm assuming that you had the most problems with the 1.5 ohm atties. They are some that take a bit of time to get over the learning curve. Which can prove to be very expensive as your finding out. Although, there are common problems that are apparent with every ohm atty.

Personally, I went through 6 Cisco LR 1.5 ohm 306's in one month. So, I know exactly how your feeling right now. Did you prime/soaked them with 6 drops? Also, it's best to lest them rest for at least 10 minutes. To let the juice permeate throughout the mesh material and wick.

You really have to be careful not to let them get to dry. Since the coil will overheat and pop. Thus, the end of an atty. So, you have to keep them fairly moist. The best way to do that is to feed it every 5 drags or so. Also, if you ever taste a slight hint of a metallic flavor. Then that's a good sign that the next hit will be awful. Which is what is called a "dry hit" since your atty is dry when you take a drag.

Basically, when you notice a faint sign of a dry hit then immediately feed it. Which will take care of the problem. All of these tips will help you get the most out of your atomizer.

Really hope that helps and if you have any questions then please ask away.

6. misplacedsooner

misplacedsooner Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    stillwater, oklahoma
    good questions lisa. im wondering the same. i use 510 and 306 attys at 1.5 on my reos. once in awhile if im not paying attention i will get a dry hit.....tastes very burnt and nasty, thats my que to skwonk. do your attys still work or are they fried totally?

7. Dad2daBone

Dad2daBone Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Totally agree, I killed a couple 306s trying to figure them out. Not just on my reo either. They will work

8. Kencalise

Jul 18, 2011
    Toronto
    Hi! I metered them, they all much the same ohm as they listed.
    In every atty, i dropped 7-8 drops, and wait for 5-10 mins or so.
    Then i use the flashlight to see the wick is wet or not, if not i would put some more drops on it(bridge and wick).
    After few draws, it burned. It was making noise when i released the button.
    One of them dead on the first draw.
    The spring is perfect!
    I just bought an AW IMR 18650 1600mah today.
    And the spring works just fine.

9. Keeno

Dec 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I use a combination of both carto and atty's with the Grand....I'm new to bottom feeders as is the Grand so I'm experimenting. I find the Cisco 306's "ok" but to me seem to have a muted flavor as to what I'm use to with my Boge and Kanger cartomizers. I have a couple Ikenvape io6 atty's on the way I'm looking very much forward to trying.

10. Rhapsodies Fire

Rhapsodies Fire ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2010
    Bow, WA, USA
    Okay...so my first guess would be that this is where we talk about that "break in" period....inconsistent as it is with atties.. For new atties, it can take a few minutes or a few hours to break in. My first suggestion is to take lighter and shorter hits and baby these into play. ...and keep them wet. As washvap noted...probably count your vapes and re-juice these about every 4-5 draws until you get the hang of it.

So the other 3....are they completely dead or just burny?

As far as the "after burn"...I've got a mod that does that every now and then. But it isn't sustained long enough to do any damage.

11. Kencalise

Jul 18, 2011
    Toronto
    I think they all dead now. They made noise after i released the button.
    So, u mean that they are not die yet?
    It's just the break in period? :blink:

12. washvap

washvap Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2011
    wa
    Only way that it would be dead is if you press the button. They don't make any noise at all and don't produce any vapor. What you have described is what happens when an atty is overly dry. It will make a bit of a prolonged sizzle after you let go of the button. Most times (90%) they die right after that.

13. TheSneakerHoarder

TheSneakerHoarder Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 22, 2012
    DFW
    Short and hard pulls once saturated... If it makes noise, it's still operating. Try cleaning and re-priming.

Sent from my HTC Amaze 4G

14. Kencalise

Jul 18, 2011
    Toronto
    What does re-priming mean?
    I found 2 of them are not die yet, going to test the other.
    One of them taste normal now.
    One of them is totally dead.

15. Keeno

Dec 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I'd say rather than dead they were or are flooded....re-priming means blowing the juice out and re-juicing...I'd start with like 4 drops and if you get a slight burnt taste add a couple more drops. Don't hold the button down for a prolonged period of time if you get a burnt taste. If they don't fire after being blown out (from the bottom) then they are dead. No need to blow real hard and use a paper towel to cover the end your not blowing on so you don't get juice everywhere.

16. Kencalise

Jul 18, 2011
    Toronto
    Is it flooded or dry?
    Since washvap said it might be dry:confused:

17. Keeno

Dec 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Washvap could be right BUT if you blow the "dead" ones out and re-prime with fewer drops and they fire they are not dead. I don't see them being dry if you put 7-8 drops in them. Usually half that number of drops will suffice to keep from "popping" the atty coil. You will get a burnt taste if they are dry. 4 drops should be enough to keep the atty from "popping" and will tell you if they are dead. Troubleshooting.....

If they're dry when you blow them out you won't get much if any juice....if flooded you'll get juice out of the large end.

18. Kencalise

Jul 18, 2011
    Toronto
    3 of them are alive. Thanks for everyone who helped me.:vapor:
    One of them still taste nasty.:facepalm:

19. Keeno

Dec 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Like others have said there is a learning curve involved....on a positive note....better too wet than too dry....:laugh: Don't be a stranger....:toast:

20. Kencalise

Jul 18, 2011
    Toronto
    Does every new atty have nasty taste at first?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.