Burned Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
Last night I had my Super 6 laying on my leather cough. I reached over to pick it up and it was extremely hot. The tip had already melted. I got a cloth to hold it while I removed the adaptor. Took the 2 batteries out and threw it on the floor. Finally it cooled down. Then I got to more batteries and installed. It worked fine for a while. This morning I had it in my hand and he became hot and within a second it had burned my hand. Again I removed the adapter and batteries and it cooled down. At first I though it was the batteries but after using 2 different sets I don't think it is. When I removed the batteries when it was hot they were barely even warm.

I put another set of batteries in the Super 6. It is still working good but I am concerned about leaving it on the table, etc for fear it will burn whatever it is laying on.

I did not have it where the switch could have been pushed. It was laying on a flat surface.

What could have or will cause this?

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
It sounds like the same problem you had the first time, Martha. The switch is 'making' the circuit due to the configuration of the washer/spring set-up.

Part of the problem with these Chinese batteries is that they vary in length. There is no such thing as quality control with these things. Perhaps these new batteries you installed are slightly longer than the older ones. That will directly affect the S6's switch throw.

Another possibility is that you may have too much of the silver conductive lubricant in place. If there is a trace of lubricant on the battery bottom (-), the spring and the insulator it is the same thing as connecting a piece of wire directly -- in essence, jumping out the switch.

I'm sure David will jump in here soon enough. But, I would thoroughly clean everything inside the S6 first and try to eliminate possibilities first.

pipes1

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Along with Richie's suggestions, I would also switch out the atty, just in case it is starting to short out.

How long of a throw do you have the switch set for? I use the washers to adjust the switch, so it moves about 1/2 way into the body. With this setting, I haven't had any issues due to battery size variation.

Let us know how it works out.
Bob

P.S. I don't see David listed as a member of the club so he may not be monitoring this subforum. You may want to PM him.

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I had recently put the silver conducing grease on it. I took it apart and cleaned it and hopefully this will stop it from getting hot again. It takes a lot of time getting the washers ajusted so that the two batteries fit correctly. If not when you screw the atomizer in all the way it will activate it.

When it gets that hot do you think it will hurt anything (other than my hand)?

pipes1

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
The S6 should NEVER get hot.

If it is, something is wrong and I would be very carefull. In order actually get hot, the batteries have to be working beyond the design for safety.

I am still curious about how much play you have in the button? Too little play and you could be getting a slight contact when you lay it down.

Also - Is the atty getting hot while it is sitting? (Just trying to determine if it is activating, or shorting inside the device.)

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
P.S. I don't see David listed as a member of the club so he may not be monitoring this subforum. You may want to PM him.

Good point, Bob. I didn't realize we were in the club sub-forum. I'm not even sure if David is allowed to be a club member?

Martha, if the unit is activating (sometimes) when you screw the adapter in, you have too many washers in place. It sounds like you're right on the threshold of activation -- a hair triggered S6, so to speak. =)

Removing even one washer could fix the whole thing. The throw will be slightly longer but much safer.

redrhino

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NY,CA,FL
Hey martha.....I just read the whole thing....Sorry to hear what happened....And Thanks goodness..... No one or Nothing got damaged/hurt......I will give you some advice though..As it never happened to me, it did happen to a friend of mine who does have a SS...Pretty much same case scenario as yours...All he did is take out the washers from the adjustable throw.....I know it's hard to explain i guess....But you know the washers that are under the screw....Theirs like 3 brass and 1 silver i think it is....these are the ones I'm talking about.....I know I'm not being very clear but I'm trying....Kind of hard to explain.....But anyways these are the washers that you need to adjust.....Good Luck:)

redrhino

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NY,CA,FL
pipes&Richie I tried to get David to Join the Club.....BUT ECF would not let me....Not sure if it's do to Conflict of interest him being a supplier and all...But i did try, ECF Just wont let me.....Well with that said.... He can't be a member is what i mean......But not sure about the Posting on this forum.....

Last edited:

martha1014

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2009
Delhi, LA USA
I understand about the washers. I have removed one and there is less pressure on the switch. I appreciate everybody's suggestion and have used everyone of them. Hopefully I won't have any more trouble. I am a little more confident in laying it down. I certainly hope it doesn't happen again. If it does I will pm david.

Thanks soo much.

pipes1

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
No problem Martha and hope everything is now OK.

David's mods are really a simple design and it would be a surprise if anything was really wrong.

What you discribed, sounded like either a short or some degree of activation. The quick check for activation is to think about the amount of play you have in the button. I keep mine set to move a fair amount before it activates and have never found a problem with variation in battery sizes. If you start with a very short button throw, and the next set of batteries is slightly longer, you risk having the device activate. This could over tax the batteries with serious results.

Best wishes
Bob

Elapid

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
Mississippi
The batteries will heat up when they are constantly discharging, like with a shorted atty, or when they are being charged too fast. If you use two CR2's you need to keep the batteries as a set. Use and charge the set together and if one goes bad throw both away. Thermal runaway can occur when one battery is dead and the other will try to charge the bad battery. Any high rate of discharge or charge will cause the battery to get hot. I agree that it sounds like either the switch is activating and causing them to get hot, or the atty is shorted causing the same. If it isn't either of these then you have a bad battery and need to pitch the set. You mentioned this with different batteries, so I think it's either a shorted atty or the switch is activating without your pushing. The design of the SuperT switch makes me think you need to adjust your switch to solve your problem.

grimmer255

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2009
somewhere out there......
I'm really hoping these LR atties i have coming in hopefully tuesday will be the ticket winner. I like the 5v vape when I use to use my PT. But I didn't want to use stacked batteries. I jsut dont have the patients to keep tags on which battery goes with what and also worry about voltage checking and all that. I just dont have the time. lol But I'm begging the gods that these LR 510 atties are the ticket... I dont want the full 5v feeling but something close.

The reason I'm say this maybe you should think about trying the LR 510 atties with a 14500 3.7v in your S6 and see how those go. Just maybe it will be enough vapor that will help you stay away from smoking and help elieviate the stress of HV vaping. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread