Burning Taste --POLL-- discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babachoo

Moved On
Apr 17, 2009
This kinda scares me because burning nylon releases toxic fumes and it never occured to me that the burning taste I occasionally get is toxic fumes being inhaled.

I'm also confused because I don't use a 510, I use an 801 and I'm wondering if my attys have nylon in them. I have noticed like a thin rubbery strip of white material by the bridge, but it almost seems like rubber and not cloth. So does anyone know if that is nylon, or if not, what it is? All I know is that it tastes like hell and it would be nice to know if it could kill me or not. :(

DyZiE

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2009
Monterey, Ca
The burning taste you are experiencing is the nylon wick around the atomizer element. It ususally means that the cartridge is too dry. If this wick burns away your atomizer will not function well if at all. Try to keep the cartridge wet near the atomizer at all times. You can do this by topping off frequently.

Kevin

im not the only one with this prob and dripping on the atomizer, toppong off, and everything ive tried do not work. actually if i keep smoking the tastes gets less and less as the cart starts to run dry.

im gonna order some dura-c carts from janty and see if its just a bad few.

current ones are from the smoke safe

Last edited:

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
I think that this is a problem we have all seen on the 510's. My problem in the earily days was that my taste and smell were still stunted from the analogs and I couldn't smell the burning. The gray hairs you were describing is part of the wick that has burned away from the atomizer. I don't have an answer other than what I stated. I am hoping that this will help me prevent my new atomizers from burning through. Once they have burned it is too late to do anything to prevent the loss of the atty. The only hope it to prevent the burning in the first place.

Kevin

mamacat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2009
WS, NC, USA
I only experience burning taste AFTER a cleaning(until primed) or as my carts dry up. I personally just keep my carts topped off and never taste burning. After a cleaning drip on the wick til it goes away.

My experience is the same as happily. I also get that same burning taste when breaking in a new 510 atty. Other than that, all is well on the 510 front for me. :D

imsewsure

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2009
Stuttgart, Germany
The burnt plastic taste is the very reason I no longer use any kind of polyester type wicking material. I have never had the problem since I stopped using that.

I think I must 'suck' harder than most people or something because I was always getting it even though I never let carts get dry.

What do you use as wicking material?

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I assumed that the smell and the burnt wick material were related? I still have a lot to learn.

I wish we could get some guidance from the manufacturers on how to keep the atomizers working longer. I expect the batteries and cartridges to be expendable but the atomizers should last longer than about one month.

Kevin

I must say that as long as you are able to get more than 'two weeks' out of an atty then realistically you have had your moneys worth.

mamacat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2009
WS, NC, USA
My favourite now of all the things I have tried is the loose roll of coffee filter paper.

I am going to try the coffee filters or tea bags soon. It seems like it might be a good way to go, especially after cleaning or at break-in. :) Looks like it is easier than trying to fluff and roll the fish filter stuff. Thanks.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I am going to try the coffee filters or tea bags soon. It seems like it might be a good way to go, especially after cleaning or at break-in. :) Looks like it is easier than trying to fluff and roll the fish filter stuff. Thanks.

Once you get it just right for the cart you are using it works quite well and it's also very easy to keep on repeating it and by making it like a carpet roll it's also basically the same thing as using the straw method in the fluval because by making a roll you get airways to the bottom of the cart in the centre and down the sides of the roll.

mamacat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2009
WS, NC, USA
Once you get it just right for the cart you are using it works quite well and it's also very easy to keep on repeating it and by making it like a carpet roll it's also basically the same thing as using the straw method in the fluval because by making a roll you get airways to the bottom of the cart in the centre and down the sides of the roll.

Hey Pete - I am sure I will be getting with you to discuss further the exact steps - seems you know exactly how to do it and make it work right. I really want to get away from the cart filler that keeps getting stuck so easily. Many thanks. :D

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Thanks for your input surbitonPete. I guess I may have had too high expectations. I guess my parts have been working as they should have. Now I have to stock up on attys while I can.

Kevin

Mind you kevin I sure wouldn't complain if I could find a way of making atties last for over a month. It would eliminate a lot of the fear of not having a working atty and ending up poping up the shop to buy some analogues because there is no other way to satisfy my addiction.

need_2quit

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
usa
i pulled some worn out cart filler today where they would no longer do anything but reservoir juice and replaced it with a coffee filter.

i wound the center of the filter tight to about the thickness of the little pouch that the atomizer makes in a new Joy2 510 cart, and then loose rolled the rest. I slide a q-tip tube along side of it and it is vaping great. no more continual top ups and great taste/vapor. nice dry hit too.

the only burnt i ever got was letting the filler get too dry on top or the filler was so spent that nothing would wick down to the atomizer.

imsewsure

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2009
Stuttgart, Germany
iI slide a q-tip tube along side of it and it is vaping great. no more continual top ups and great taste/vapor. nice dry hit too.

I watched the Fluval re-fill video and noticed when he put the little straw in it (I had never seen a reference to that before). I searched the boards and couldn't find out is the straw for refilling or do you keep it in there all the time to help the filler wick better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread