The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

burnt insulator in kanger coil - throw out?

Discussion in 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' started by telegraph, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. telegraph

telegraph Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2013
    TN, USA
    I recently started building coils for my protanks and evods, using 32g kanthal and cotton. I took 4 heads apart and noticed that one of the white insulators was burned on one side. If I reuse the burnt one, will it continue to have a burned taste? Or should I toss it?
    Thanks.

2. Jonathan Tittle

Jonathan Tittle Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Sep 7, 2013
    Johnson City, TN, USA
    If it's already giving a burnt taste, it'll probably continue to give a burnt taste if you are in fact burning the rubber, but that's no reason to toss the entire unit. You can buy some silicon grommets from Kidney Puncher. They're actually for the RSST and AGA-T, IIRC, but they do fit into the base of the Protank heads with a little effort. I bought 2x 10 packs for around $5 and they work perfectly.

One way you can get around the burn is to use NR-R-NR, by that I mean Non-Resistance Wire to Resistance (Kanthal) to Non-Resistance. You would need a solder to join the wires, but that'll prevent the burning of the grommets and allow the rubber to stay intact.

3. nostinkies

nostinkies Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Kayfun Nirvana!
    chuck it. it'll taste like butt forever now.

4. Jonathan Tittle

Sep 7, 2013
    Johnson City, TN, USA
    That's not always the case....I've rebuilt close to 300-400 heads in the past few months, for myself, friends and family. Just because they are burnt a little doesn't mean they will taste burnt. It depends on the coils and how you build them.

5. telegraph

Mar 24, 2013
    TN, USA
    To confirm, are these the correct grommets?
    AGA Series Positive Post Insulators - 10 pack - Kidney Puncher

Where can I get non-resistance wire? Is there a particular type of solder material. I have some stuff that I have used on circuit boards, and wonder if that will work.

6. Steamix

Steamix Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan
    Fasttech offers nores-res-nores prewelded bits of wire for coil building in various ohmages

$3.25 Pre-made Welded Wires - NR-R-NR (100-Pack) 100-pack - 0.18mm (33 AWG) / 2.2ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Soldering isn't really a good idea IMO, inhaling that ... might as well smoke then

7. telegraph

Mar 24, 2013
    TN, USA
    Good point about the soldering. Maybe worse than inhaling an occasional burned cotton fiber or burned insulator.

8. Steamix

Steamix Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan
  9. CloudZ

CloudZ Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    All my old ones are torn up and look burnt, been rebuilding them for several months. I don't taste any kind of burnt rubber taste though, so I will keep using them until they finally fall apart. When that happens, I do have some of the AGA insulators from KP... so its good to know those will work. Now I will probably never have to throw away a head as the metal parts should last forever. The same can't be said for EVOD tanks though since one of mine is getting pretty nicked and cracked, just waiting for it to start leaking. It's had a good run though, also several months (same head the whole time).

10. Portertown

Portertown Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2013
    Greenville, NC, USA
  11. Jonathan Tittle

Sep 7, 2013
    Johnson City, TN, USA
    Yes, those will work and are the same ones I have right beside me and in the tank I'm vaping on now :). They do take a little getting used to as they don't fit in exactly the same, but they are silicon and thus, aren't going to burn like the rubber grommets that come standard w/ the Protank.

For the non-resistance wire:

Non-Resistance Wire | Silica Wicks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.