Burnt marks on positive and negative sides of a battery...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lateralus839

Aug 19, 2017
Hey all I’ve been using two Sony VTC 5A batteries that I got in May in a regulated mod I just noticed that they both have small burnt marks on the positive and negative terminals are they dangerous to use? What causes this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 251

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
If they were being used in a mechanical mod with the make/break contact at one end of the battery, I'd say that's normal, an expected result of the arcing that's inevitable in a mechanical switch. But in a regulated mod, I'm at a loss to explain it. What do the contacts in the mod look like? How about the other (negative) end of the cells?

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Are you sure those are burn marks? Kinda looks like spotting on the wrapper.
The dark marks under the insulation wrap in the pic are normal, especially for Sony batteries. The cause for the spots is unclear, but believed to be more commonly seen with Sony batteries because of their use of a semi-transparent wrap. The weird thing is once the wrap is removed, the spots mysteriously disappear.

Your batteries are perfectly normal to use with those spots. No need to rewrap unless the wrap becomes torn or develops a hole.

Slight dark spot on battery | .................. Forums - An Ecig ...
Can someone tell me what these black spots are ...

Dark Spots Showing Under battery Wrap VTC4 & VTC5's 18650 | E ...

78ef5b8ca5f9e49ddc894c287f974b73.jpg

Last edited:

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
This has come up several times here. I've got some VTC4s that are the same way.

Betting that's liquid you can move around with your finger through the wrap.

There's other threads here about Sony batteries that have a mysterious liquid form around the top. It's not a juice leak. I've not really worried about it with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread